1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cowboys waive S Michael Hamlin

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Oct 12, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bring this up due to Clemson watchers for the most part believing that Hamlin was a much better prospect than Chris Clemons.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    He was absolutely TERRIBLE here.
    That kid was out of position 90% of the time.

3. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    before anyone asks...no we dont need/want Hamlin

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Adamp and Toddphins swore by the guy coming out of Clemson.

5. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hm. High hopes for a safety from Clemson. Where have I heard this story before?

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Clemons has done just fine Des, even you have to admit that much.

There has been no Te's running free for long gains with Clemons trying to catch them..

7. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    No offense to either of them, but he is absolutely TERRIBLE!!!

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Clemons did not set the world alight in his first season..but I hear what you are saying.

Fortunately Clemons has not assumed the Gerbil Tackling technique, meaning trail position, 30 yds down the field...:D

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yes..... b/c I watched him shut down the likes of Calvin Johnson and he was clearly the better Safety at Clemson. Most of the big plays that were given up were primarily on Clemons's side. So if we're talking FREE SAFETY here, I did like Hamlin better coming out. Clemons's ability to efficiently diagnose were somewhat suspect, and it showed b/c his 4.3 speed didn't prevent him from being beat on plays behind him in comparison to Hamlin.

Hamlin missed a few preseason weeks in 09 with a strained neck & concussion....... and then missed his first 9 games in 09 from a broken wrist. These combined basically put him a year behind the 8 ball. On top of this he was also switched to Strong Safety which I don't feel plays to his strengths.

Padre, sorry but you're little screw-in-the-thumbnail post is ridiculous. It's absurd to even think that these 2 players have been in exactly the same scenarios to where they could be compared accurately. If Hamlin were drafted by us and played FS (not SS) from day one with zero injuries, you could be seeing a completely different scenario. If Clemons missed most of last season, then I seriously doubt he's our starter right now.

A little logic goes a long way..... rather than just calling out a member for whatever reason. I'd love to make a thread for every time you're "truly" proven wrong. :wink2:

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Ummmmm, this unknown bust of a player called....... Brian something or other...... Oh yeah---- Dawkins. That guy has made a career of underachieving and sucking a$$. :glare:

Clemson has 2 starting safeties in the NFL right now. Gosh that's horrible.

-DeAndre McDaniel was the 31st ranked safety by Scout.com in high school but is now the top Safety in his class.
    -Rashard Hall was the 60th rated Safety in High School but is now rated the #4 FS in his class by NFLdraftscout.com
    -Hamlin was the 43rd rated Safety in High School but became one of the top Safeties in college at Clemson.
    -Chris Clemons was a RB in high school, and Clemson turned him into an eventual starter for the Dolphins.

Get a clue Desides...... or know what you're talking about before you say ignorant stuff like this. Clemson hasn't had a top 20 recruit at Safety during the past 10 years to where your comment can hold any water.

You should pick a school who actually had top recruits who fizzled out........ not a school with a history of turning their safeties into overachievers.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hah!

I've already been spanked by touting CFLer Dimitri Tsoumpas, there is nothing you can do to me now! :evil:

Seriously though, my OP was not meant to be a innayaface type of thing, I like keeping track of guys who people whose views I respect like, and a couple of phinfans were kinda sweet on Hamlin coming out so I thought the subject would be ripe for a discussion.

As for the player, my view is Dallas has the worst of both worlds right now, poorly coached, poor talent acquistion policies, as you say Hamlin missed a whole bunch of time in Dallas so it could be just a case of not getting up to speed quickly enough, or he is a poor fit for their defence, or Jerruh got drunk and decided to make an example of a player.

The cowpokes are 1-3, Hamlin had nothing to do with it.

gunn34 and ToddsPhins like this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

Hamlin was a box player all the way IMO. I know me and you argued this but I still think he's a box player.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    My bad..... sorry for misunderstanding ya Padre. 1000 apologies. :knucks:

padre31 likes this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It's all good.:up:

And let me add I'm also keeping one eye on Paul Kruger, a player Alen really liked last season he is on the Ravens but they are so loaded he is having trouble seeing the field as a OLB.

I "think" you liked Veikune as well TdP? I know I liked him as to me he had a nice mix of strength and smarts.

15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He very well could be a box player, but that aside, he was still better in coverage at Clemson. Hamlin made more plays and was more consistent than Clemons. He also let very few plays get behind him, and as such I trusted him more.

Clemons is doing what he did at Clemson....... he's performing well but isn't making any big plays, and that's one of the concerns I've had with him dating back to pre-draft.

Hamlin was a playmaker, and at the time is what I felt we needed.

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I wasn't really high or low on Veikune but I did like Kruger. Sintim hasn't been getting much opportunity either, right? (but I think he's getting a chance to start this week) Barwin was my guy and I hate not being able to see him as a 3-4 OLB. I wish we could trade Moses for him. LOL

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Yeah, Boom had written something about Barwin and his mother contacted Boom and they had an interview with Conner Barwin which was cool.

Pity he tore up a knee though, that is the way things go sometimes, like Donald Brown (the Lb not Rb) who broke his wrist in AZ, then was released this preseason, you just never know with these guys.

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That was my feeling on Hamlin as well. I thought he would be an NFL SS. I felt Clemons had a better chance of becoming an NFL FS and was worth the later pick it would take to get him. The big knock on Clemons was always the lack of play making.

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good for him, it is always better to be in the league as opposed to out of it for a young player.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Both of them were often a step slow to the play at Clemson IMO.