1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could the end be near for Pat White?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Aug 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Ben Volin thinks so, on another subject, Carroll has been a monster so far.

The Pat White situation needs to be resolved soon, because he’s taking away reps from the other quarterbacks: It’s not that Chad Henne isn’t getting enough opportunities in practice, but with four quarterbacks in camp, Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpen aren’t getting as many at-bats as they should to help them prepare should they be called on to play.
    White’s play in training camp has bordered on awful. Tuesday, he overthrew Taurus Johnson on a 20-yard pass in which there was no defense. He skipped the first day of camp with “personal issues,” and clearly isn’t in the Dolphins’ long-term plans, following a terrible rookie season and second shaky training camp. The Dolphins would be best served cutting bait with White sooner rather than later, so the other quarterbacks can take more reps in practice.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...lking-points-remember-the-name-nolan-carroll/

Realistically the reach of a draft pick in the 2nd rounder, may have come to roost....that was a high pick too....

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    if he still thinks he'll make it as a conventional QB in the NFL, its near

Bpk and finyank13 like this.
  3. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Conventional being the key word.

If he would just realize how much success he could possibly have in being the wildcat QB, it be much better for both sides. Although, I'm not sure I could see him get lit up like he did that Pitt game. Man that was brutal. :sad:

Bpk, finyank13 and the 23rd like this.
  4. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    I get knocking White's play, but the argument that he is taking away reps from the Pennington and Thigpen that they "need" seems to be a bit of a reach. We are 1 week into training camp. All 3 backups are going to get plenty of reps in the first couple of preseason games.

dolphindebby and siciliansith like this.
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    creativity (coaching innovation + white willingness) is the only hope for Pat White

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    yeah i agree. if he is still stinking up the joint then i can see us cutting him midway through the preseason but the amount of snaps he is getting is irrelevant at this stage

7. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010

thats the thing though I dont think you are going to see that much wildcat where you need him in there as the qb, I would rather have Thiggy/Penny in there instead, because I trust them both more with the ball in their hands as opposed to White, he is an absolute liability passing the ball, and every NFL team knows that so they will just stack the box with him running the Cat and dare him to throw, you are basically saying to the NFL, when White is in there, he is running with the ball out of the Cat, and not passing....its predictable..

Now that leaves 4 QB's, I really cant see them carrying 4 QB's into the season, and foresake a player somewhere else, especially after there has been two season enders already....

Lastly maybe not to us, but to a guy (sparano) that knows exactly how many reps there are in the preseason, it might matter, that somebody who might not be here is taking them away from Thiggy, and Penny....just saying...

Killerphins likes this.
  8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    To me the Pat White experiment was over last season. Henning puts the guy out there you get 2-3 yards and burn valuable downs. The guy is a total bust as a QB and doesn't seem to fit doing anything else. I knew we screwed up when we drafted him. Pat White is another good college player who is not geared to play in the NFL.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Look, we heard the same things last year, overthrowing guys and looking just plain bad. As far as him coming into the game as a Wildcat guy, everytime he came on the field last year it seemed to take away from the momentum the offense had going. The truth is Ronnie Brown is more of a threat running and passing than Pat White has proven to be. I've got no use for this guy and I'm tired of hearing nothing but bad news about him.

10. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Anyone else cringe when PW came into the game last season? I would hold my breath and pray disaster wouldn't strike LOL

11. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not to mention there is a reason he wasnt at practice the 1st day, personal reasons, non football related reasons I dont care.....it is excusable if he had a family emergency or a death in the family (knock on wood), but I think we would know if that was the case.....

Is this kid's head even in it?? reports were saying he might go to baseball, IDK, but at this level you have to be into this sheet 110% or you are going to get hurt.....thats the reason why guys like Ricky are there practicing "like rookies"....is Pat's head there?? Judging by his play, I doubt it.

Tin Indian likes this.
  12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Absolutely Dilla.......hated see him....and I have nothing against the kid, he is a professional, and a nice kid, remember the story about him going over to the veterans before the game.....I just on a "whats best for my team" he isnt making it to me bro...if thats the case trade or cut ties....trade the kid for a 5-7th...hell we will get another gem out of it!!!:up:

13. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    imo There is a reason Miami didn't relent in allowing a non-trade clause in Penningtons contract. This Keeps all options open ,and its way to early. I'm warming to Pennington being a Vike. JMO

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I wonder what Quincy Carter is up to these days...

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I wouldnt doubt if all those scouts from the CFL are there for him....aand others obviously, but him mostly..

16. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY

Hey if he goes to baseball id watch but i doubt he hits the field

17. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    have the Phins tried White out at any other position other than QB? I don't see the point in having 4 QB's unless one will be cut/traded. Sure it's early for that to happen but the OP/author does make a valid point.

Normally when you have 4 QBs on the roster in preseason, it's because they are young guys that you're looking to see what they can do for you. The thing is, Pennington is obviously proven and I'd say Thigpen is too. The Phins case is different than say another team looking for answers.

finyank13 likes this.
  18. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think that's the biggest issue/concern right now. And honestly, only time will tell (if there was anything to those reports or not). We'll just have to wait and see.

But, whereas I couldn't see anyway this kid could be cut this time last year, I can definitely see a scenario in which he doesn't make the team this season. I really think the only person that controls Pat White's fate with this team is Pat White.

I just wish they'd get more creative with him, and move him around (WR, KR/PR, etc.). And, I'd like to see him embrace that role.

JMHO...

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Pat has said he doesnt want to play any other position but QB (not that his say means much).....the thing is Paula-lover (she is hot as hell too), lets say he goes to WR, who is he beating out there as well?? I mean you have what BM, Bess, Hart, Cam, then who?? I would think Grice-Mullen or Turner make the 5th, and 6th...he isnt beating any of them out...Pat kinda has no options you know, it is beat out Thiggy or Penny, or the very real possibility of cutting him looms in a year that they can save a few bucks as the dead cap space money doesnt exist this year...

20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Thigpen is anything but proven.

21. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Thigpen has played as a starter and won games in the NFL. He may not be a top flite player but he has had success in the league.

22. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    True. But, he's more of a proven commodity than Pat White.

Just sayin'.

AbideN703 likes this.
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    He isnt some stellar star in the NFL, but has won some games, and has done okay...

Who would you rather have the ball in their hands Thigpen or White?? Throwing it......screw that running it to, thigpen is very mobile...

Killerphins likes this.
  24. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He's won one game in the NFL. He was a starter on a KC team that was blown out regularly, and where he played mostly out of the shotgun. Under center, we really haven't seen much from him. I wouldn't say he's been successful.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  25. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Regarding Carroll, I think he's giving Jason Allen a run for his money for the gameday squad.

The Phins generally carry four corners into the games. And the question will be -- save for injury -- whether Carroll can do enough on special teams. The fourth corner doesn't see much time on defense. He's pretty much there for emergencies and special teams. Allen is tremendous on special teams.

Carroll is getting a look at returning kicks. And you could see some of that Florida speed on Saturday. Kick returns could put another checkbox in his favor.

He also showed speed down the field in coverage.

finyank13 and Stringer Bell like this.
  26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I would say that if either Thigpen or White is our starting QB, we aren't going to be very good. Thigpen is a mobile QB, but he's not very fast. You won't be able to run say, the pistol formation with him. You can run some spread where he might be able to take off occasionally.

Thigpen and White aren't the same type of player. I don't think the staff looks at the two and says "who is better?". I think they look at White, and ask if he can execute what they're trying to do with him, and is it worth trying to do those things.

finyank13 likes this.
  27. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Whats your take on White Muck??

28. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Agreed, so now the question is how much does this offense revolve around Pat White, I would venture to guess not much.....but I would absolutely want the ball in Thigpen hands passing over White....

and yes if Thigpen or White are starting any games for Miami this year they are in trouble agreed...

29. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think he's proven that he can come into a game and create a spark. Move an offense and make plays.

That is a massive quality in a backup QB.

Kansas City has won 10 games the last three years. They've had problems for awhile. That said, Thigpen had a better 2008 than Matt Cassel did in 2009.

Killerphins likes this.
  30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I've already stated that White scares the hell out of me so I don't want him anywhere near the field plus Thigpen showed the ability to come off the bench and provide a spark with very little reps at all with the Dolphins. Thigpen also rushed for 386 yards in a season with KC.

Answer... Tyler Thigpen...... no brainer.

31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If he comes out in preseason and our coaches let him take QB reps out of a conventional set, than imo, on this player, our coaches will have made a very big blunder in their projection of a player, and their training of the player..

The coaches should of had the vision mapped out before the draft, and should of had the conversation with the player before we drafted him..

From the very first day, this player should of been trained exclusively within the parameters of the Wildcat offense. If he didn't make it there, than so be it....If this player doesn't make it here, all the blame imo goes on the front office for not training him the way he should of been.

Pat white...your going to define a new position in the NFL, Wildcat Player, and all formation position responsibilities that goes with that title?...if your not willing to accept this unique position we will not be drafting you.

That should of been the convo.

jetssuck and siciliansith like this.
  32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Create a spark for the Dolphins? 25% of his passes for this team have been INTs.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    He got us back in that Steelers game without any reps at all for us. Yeah he made the mistakes but at least he can complete a god damn pass. Unlike Pat White the bust.

34. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    that was in one game, where Miami was down be a couple of scores, in a game that was getting late, that they had to win to have any shot at making the playoffs, he had to force things that game.....

as well that was the game, Pat White probably realized he isnt cut out for the NFL....

35. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    He's more proven than Pat White. You know what you're going to get out of Thigpen, you can't say the same about White.

36. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    He's nothing more than a situational player IMO. Wildcat for sure if he could complete a pass or gain yards on the ground. Maybe run a double reverse as well on occasion?

37. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    You do realize football is a team sport
    but with that in mind Tyler started 11 games in 2008 for that "crappy" team
    What did he accomplish that season his first with substantial playing time

2,608 yards passing
    18 touchdowns passing...12 interceptions
    3 touchdowns rushing on 386 rushing yards
    total yards 2,994 yards

In reality if you compare what Tyler did that season to what Henne did last season...I would have to give the slight nod to Tyler.

Henne stats
    2,878 yards passing
    12 touchdowns passing...14 interceptions
    0 touchdown rushing on 32 yards rushing
    total yards...2,910 total yards

I'm not saying Tyler should be our starter but don't down play what he accomplished in his first season of playing time

finyank13 and Tin Indian like this.
  38. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Courtesy of Alen in another post....

QB Pat White threw an interception to Nate Ness in red zone 11-on-11's...at half speed.

his brutal camp continues....it is like a guy on life support...just pull the plug...

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    How many of those yards did Thigpen get under-center in 08??

40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Exactly.