1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could someone explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Trowa, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The review of the Sanchez fumble at the end of the half brought up a scenario that I still don't understand. The rules state that a backwards pass that is incomplete is a fumble. So in the situation that they were just reviewing, and other similar situations, if the ball goes backwards which it did, shouldn't it be considered a fumble whether or not the arm was going forward? I understand that if the arm is coming forward that it can't be called a fumble, but if it's a pass, then it has to be ruled an incomplete pass, and if it's a backwards incomplete pass that is by definition a fumble. However I see several times with these reviews where even if the ball goes backwards if the arm is deemed to be going forward it's given back to the fumbling team. I just don't understand how that can be. Anyone with more knowledge of the NFL rule book than I care to enlighten me?

2. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    They only look at arm motion..... not where the ball went to determine whether it's a pass or fumble. If the arm is starting it's way forward, it's a pass.

However, generally if the arm was coming forward the ball will go forward as well..... not always tho and it's not what they base their call on.

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    It's the one rule in the NFL i can not understand when they show replays

4. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Eh for me it's the tuck rule. I will NEVER understand it, better yet I'll never understand why it even exists.

5. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    If the arm is going forward, and then the arm is hit, the ball is now considered tipped because the arm and ball are considered one and the same during the passing motion. If a tipped ball goes backwards it's still incomplete.

Trowa and charlestonphan like this.
  6. k-bayfinfan

k-bayfinfan Bikini Inspector

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    The BALL has to be moving forward in order for it to be a pass not just the arm. In this case the defender was able to prevent/slap the ball right at the moment the qb is in the forward throwing motion causing the ball to go parallel and back from the LOS even though the QBs hand was still going forward. It's the same as a QB attempting a pass but the ball slips out of his hand and goes backwards. Same thing just the defender didn't cause it to happen

7. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Not true. The ball does not have to be going forward to be considered a pass. The ARM does. In the Jests game Sanchez's ARM had yet to begin it's forward motion before the ball was knocked out by the defender. Thus it was a fumble. Even if the ball had went forward, it still would have been a fumble.

8. k-bayfinfan

k-bayfinfan Bikini Inspector

Jun 24, 2008
    Oahu
    If the ball went an inch downfield the call would've been overturned. I've seen QBs fight to get a pass off with defenders impeding the QBs arm, ball goes 1 yard, incomplete pass. I've seen defenders hit a QB from behind before a pass having the ball knocked forward get called incomplete.
    What if I just flick the ball forward without moving my arms can I throw another one forward on the same play?
    By your definition if a QB attempts a pass and it inadvertently slips out of his had before his forward motion that would be an incomplete pass, but everyone knows it would be a fumble.

9. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Your 1st sentence is just wrong. Once again, whichever direction the BALL travels has no bearing on the call. If the ARM moves forward and the ball moves backwards, right, left, or forward, it's an incomplete pass. If the arm does NOT move forward, the ball can go anyway it wants and it will be considered a fumble.

If you can "flick" a ball and complete even a couple of yards pass without moving your arm forward I'd like to see this trick. This is a football we're talking about, not a baseball, and if you hold the ball close with your arm bent and "flick" it out without moving your arm forward it may travel ~1 inch and then hit the ground. The refs would probably see that as a fumble, and rightly so, the ARM never moved forward. :pointlol:

If a QB gets hit from behind and the ball goes forward it's not a pass UNLESS the arm was already starting it's forward motion.

What's with your last sentence? No, that's not my definition. If the ARM has yet to start the forward motion it would be a fumble. What are you talking about? lol