1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could Cam Newton not going #1 overall cause a QB slide-a-thon?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Apr 28, 2011.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Simple question:

Could Cam Newton not going #1 overall cause a QB slide-a-thon?

Are the early teams really as QB needy as early draft reports say? I think there can be an arguement made that if the Panthers pass on Cam Newton and go defense, Say with Von Miller, that a defensive rush could push the QB's back, especially Cam Newton and Mallett into mid rounds of the draft if not later.

I do not expect the Bills, Browns, or Redskins to all draft a QB. I think it's very possible that a few of the QB needy teams like the same player and when he is taken, they will go to another position.

Do you see any situation where there is a QB slide? Could Gabbert or Newton slide to pick 15? Will we trade back if we have those types of options at 15 overall?

I also think the depth at QB has alot of people drafting early that they can get a QB they will like in early round 2. How do you see it?

2. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I think you'll either see a record number of QB's selected within the first round this evening, or the other extreme as you're suggesting as a possibility. The old cliche' holds true, it's a copy-cat league. So yeah, I can see a scenario in which Carolina starts a domino effect, one way or the other.

Or not. :shifty:

3. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    I just think there are so many that are an improvement over past several drafts that teams are going to be comfortable waiting if the top few teams pass on QB's. If the top 4 teams pass on QB it's going to get ugly fast for QB's.

PS:
    I love when you post. Best avatar ever!
    [​IMG]

The G Man and vt_dolfan like this.
  4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yeh Mike...I agree. Ive told him countless times...that AV kills me. I cant STOP STARING AT IT!!

The G Man likes this.
  5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Agreed that Carolina will likely set the pace for QB's coming off the board (or not). And, thanks for the props on my avy guys. Much appreciated. :wink2:

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cam Newton will be the number one overall pick.

7. SnakeoilSeller

SnakeoilSeller New Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Without the lockout and the possibility of a rookie salary cap, is it a question about how signable is Cam Newton? His last contract at Auburn was nothing compared to what he is going to ask for being the #1 pick.

In the end, I dont think he would slide past Buffalo. PFT is reporting 5 QB's in the top 12 picks. He would not fall far.

8. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Phinsider rumors:
    •I'm hearing that the possibility of the Miami Dolphins drafting a quarterback in round one is contingent upon being able to trade down from the 15th overall pick and add a second rounder or an additional third rounder. No trade down, then no quarterback - or, at least, that's what they want us to think.
    •Chris Mortensen says the Patriots are talking with the Cowboys about moving up to pick nine, targeting Cal DE Cameron Jordan. The Pats have the ammo to pull it off, too.
    •Armando Salguero confirms what we've been hearing from other sources - that TE Kyle Rudolph is on Miami's board and a possibility at pick 15. And like I said on Twitter, if that happens, I will not be a happy guy.

9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I wouldn't be upset with it. I think we need a stud TE and RB with our first 2 picks. If the TE comes first and RB comes second (like Daniel Thomas), then I don't see a problem with it. The overall impact is roughly the same IMO.