Could Beck possibly be released...
102 replies
By the end of Training Camp? I have a couple of friends who live down in Florida and they have said that Beck could be released by the end of camp (this has been the reported talk down there), especially if another Quarterback, such as Pennington, were to be brought in. How would you guys feel about that? Boy what a waste of a 2nd round pick that would be.
No, they wouldn't release him. If they sign Pennington, they'll start shopping McCown for a 7th rounder or something, and if they don't get it, they'll cut him, not Beck. Remember that Parcells and Ireland liked Beck coming into the 2007 draft and they're not going to give up on him this quickly.
"PhinishLine wrote:
No.
Exactly.
I doubt we release beck. To what purpose would keeping mc cown around serve?
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
Here we go. Will all you guys chill. I don't think anything will happen to anyone till aleast the second preseason game.
Ronald Reagan:
"The nine most terrifying words in the English
language are, 'I'm from the government and
I'm here to help.' "
Your friends need to stay off the bottle. Beck will not be released, McCown would be gone, he is having the worst camp out of the QB's.


I just don't see anyway to justify Beck being the odd man out IF Pennington is brought here. Beck continues to improve and, IMO, will be the starter week 1. IF Pennington is brought in perhaps he gets up to speed and starts Week 1, however, I still would guess Beck. Pennington would be McCown's replacement (the veteran insurance/stopgap QB). Beck has too much upside potential to just let go and has no trade value at all. No Beck will be here, Henne will be here. NO DOUBT IN MY SEAGOING MIND!
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


If Pennington is brought in it will be as the starter, not a back-up. He is better than anything you have and if you bring in a veteran like him this late it is a call for help because the young guys are not ready to go, for whatever reason. Chad would start, but he may not finish the season starting.
"124 wrote:
If Pennington is brought in it will be as the starter, not a back-up. He is better than anything you have and if you bring in a veteran like him this late it is a call for help because the young guys are not ready to go, for whatever reason. Chad would start, but he may not finish the season starting.
He would compete to start. He would not be handed the job.


I don't understand why this may be so hard to believe. You gotta remember, McCown is the measuring stick, that's like measuring chocolate cake against a pile of crap. If Beck doesn't measure up to McCown by the end of training camp I see us cutting our loses, and Beck.
And I wouldn't be opposed. Gone are the days where you hold on to players because the used to be ballers, or the could one day be a baller. Produce or get cut.
"plc001 wrote:
I don't understand why this may be so hard to believe. You gotta remember, McCown is the measuring stick, that's like measuring chocolate cake against a pile of crap. If Beck doesn't measure up to McCown by the end of training camp I see us cutting our loses, and Beck.
And I wouldn't be opposed. Gone are the days where you hold on to players because the used to be ballers, or the could one day be a baller. Produce or get cut.
By your logic if anyone Beck or Henne don't as you say measure against the "Josh 'pile of crap' McCown" then they both would be gone not just beck. Mark my words beck and henne will be on this team barring injury. We just don't know what will happen until some games are played. We won't sign pennington.
Ronald Reagan:
"The nine most terrifying words in the English
language are, 'I'm from the government and
I'm here to help.' "
"124 wrote:
By the end of Training Camp? I have a couple of friends who live down in Florida and they have said that Beck could be released by the end of camp (this has been the reported talk down there), especially if another Quarterback, such as Pennington, were to be brought in. How would you guys feel about that? Boy what a waste of a 2nd round pick that would be.
Reported talk by who? Nobody on the Dolphins. Therefore it's just chatter, which ends up usually not being true anyway
He would have to play really, really bad for the rest of training camp to be released, IMO. And from what I have heard he is improving.
yea you know what if henne doesn't win this job by week 1 we should just cut him too. hey maybe kevin kolb, drew stanton and brady quinn will be on the market too!! :pity:

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:
Your friends need to stay off the bottle. Beck will not be released, McCown would be gone, he is having the worst camp out of the QB's.
Where did you here that? Completely different from what I've been reading.
Based on Thursday's practice, it's safe to assume Josh McCown will get plenty of playing time. At the end of Thursday's session, the 6-year veteran executed 12 consecutive scripted plays, and completed 9-of-12 passes against the first- and second-team defense.
Beck will be traded before he is released.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"124 wrote:
If Pennington is brought in it will be as the starter, not a back-up. He is better than anything you have and if you bring in a veteran like him this late it is a call for help because the young guys are not ready to go, for whatever reason. Chad would start, but he may not finish the season starting.
Thank you sooooooooo much for your interest in our team but the only reason we would want your castoff is so that we could use his knowledge to beat you twice this year. If you didn't want him why should we?
It looks to me as if you guys had no QB so rushed to pick up Farve. I hope you guys have fun running around his circus every year for the next two or so years. You might want to pass by GB to see how they handled all that mess. See Ya.:tongue2::wink2::yes:

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

"124 wrote:
If Pennington is brought in it will be as the starter, not a back-up. He is better than anything you have and if you bring in a veteran like him this late it is a call for help because the young guys are not ready to go, for whatever reason. Chad would start, but he may not finish the season starting.
Yeah, that's what I think too. Pennington is a very accurate passer even if he has a pop-gun arm.
Beck would never just be released though. He must have some trade value.
It sure would make for a great opening day. I guess that will probably be the most watched game on opening day regardless of who we start...
"124 wrote:
By the end of Training Camp? I have a couple of friends who live down in Florida and they have said that Beck could be released by the end of camp (this has been the reported talk down there), especially if another Quarterback, such as Pennington, were to be brought in. How would you guys feel about that? Boy what a waste of a 2nd round pick that would be.
That's not the talk down here. Not sure where you heard that? :no:
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Beck will be traded before he is released.
I don't think we get rid of Beck for one. But if we did, why would a team trade for him if they know we are going to cut him?
Beck isn't going anywhere

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
"gunn34 wrote:
I don't think we get rid of Beck for one. But if we did, why would a team trade for him if they know we are going to cut him?
Because they arent guaranteed to sign him. And they wouldn't know we are going to cut him. He will still be valued by a lot of offensive schemes
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
124, IMO your friends know very little about the Dolphins. There has been talk since before the draft that Beck would be gone simply b/c he was from the previous regime. The local media has fed that being consistently more critical of Beck and ignoring the struggles of the other two QBs. However, those close Parcells and the Dolphins have been saying that Beck is the guy that Parcells and the team want to start. But if your only info is from the local papers (and you're not a critical thinker) than you might believe that Beck could be released.
As for CP, is a better QB than anybody we have right now but he may be a poor fit. My guess is that we plan to use a run based offense that's heavy on play-action and vertical passing. That last part may not mesh well with a post injury CP. Sometimes a poor fit can negate any talent advantage.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it in this one.
You don't get rid of a highly drafted young prospect on a rebuilding team looking to find it's future starter to hold on to 2 vets.
2 vets with very questionable futures at that.
You hold onto the the young QB's and let them develop period.
Beck isn't going anywhere to the dismay of some around here.
RIP Jetssuck
"124 wrote:
By the end of Training Camp? I have a couple of friends who live down in Florida and they have said that Beck could be released by the end of camp (this has been the reported talk down there), especially if another Quarterback, such as Pennington, were to be brought in. How would you guys feel about that? Boy what a waste of a 2nd round pick that would be.
I know that would just crush you!:wink2:
Lets put away our biased hopes and fears and look at this thing rationally.
Forget the names, lets just use generics.
You are rebuilding a team. You inherent ONLY second round pick at QB. It was his rookie season, and he wasn't very good. However, he had a very bad team around him. He's older, hes mature, hes got a great attitude, and he's got some talent.
In your first FA period, you sign the best (In your opinion) journeyman QB that is available. Hes never been great, but hes had some good games. You really don't have that much invested in him, but you need a guy who has started some NFL games.
Why? Because you are going to draft a QB early (and you have early picks). The guy you draft is going to be the guy you hang your future on. But, as we know, drafting QBs is risky. Most don't pan out. Only a very select few do. So you move very deliberately in all things QB.
And one other thing about the QBs that do pan out, some don't pan out until they've been in the league several years. So, using this criteria, you are going to find the best vet you can to start, and hold on to your two young QBs to try to reap a reward in the future.
Bottom line, you aren't going to throw away John Beck just yet. You give him the opportunity to grow and develop (and challenge Henne). Although Henne looks good, you never know how these things turn out in the long run.
If you want to cut a QB, cut McCown. Henne we know isn't going anywhere, and Beck, IMO, should stay as well.
The only caveat I would offer is that if the coaching staff has seen enough of Beck to in their opinions believe that the NFL QB position is far out of his reach, it won't matter, then you cut the ties with Beck.
However, since Beck and McCown aren't that different in age, and it didn't cost us a pick to get McCown, it does alleviate the damage done by drafting Beck.
On the flip side, wasn't Pennington a first round pick? Now that, I would consider a huge wasted pick if I was a Jets fan.
"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle