Connor Barwin
42 replies
Last year around this time there was this tall, athletic guy. He didn't have as much experience as people wanted. He had a lot of talent though and he had a lot of buzz coming out of the senior bowl and the combine. His name was Joe Flacco. Some people thought because of how raw he was and inexperienced he would go 2nd or 3rd round.I predicted then that he would probably creep into the 1st round which is what he did.
Connor Barwin is this year's Joe Flacco. A former tight end who converted to de his final year he ended leading the Big East in sacks. His numbers included 14½ tackles for loss, 11 sacks and six pass breakups. That's in his first season on defense. At the combine he ran a 4.66. At his pro day he got his time down to 4.48 and a 2nd try at 4.52. He is fast, athletic and can play tight end or lb in the 3-4. He also could probably play de in the 4-3 in addition to being a former college basketball player. This guy just screams athletic talent. Because of his versatility he's being compared to Mike Vrabel.
Now the trifecta is definitely interested in him. They talked to him at the combine, I believe they went to his pro-day and I know they scheduled a private workout with him. Simon Clancy who writes for the sun-sentinel and who many know as our beloved draftnik Boomer is very big on Connor.
I think this guy is a first round talent. Sports Illustrated agrees. I hope that if he is available at 25 that we don't hesitate to take him. He will not be there in the 2nd round.
Here is the link to the Sports Illustrated article. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/03/20/riser.sliders/
Here is the link to Boomer's interview with Connor Barwin.
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/02/london_calling_draft_winds_5.html
I would feel very comfortable taking him at 25. And if we don't take him and he drops to the 2nd round it'd be insane to not get him. Whichever teams gets him is getting a hell of a player. Anyway those are my thoughts on the matter. Comment away.
HIs stock is rising from what some outlets are reporting. I like what i've seen from him. Would be happy to take him at 25, if he still on the board.
I did a similar thread in the Club forum.
IMO he's the top Rush LB in the draft with Team Captain, All Pro, and potential HOF written all over him. ;)
A lot of people see him as a risk b/c he's only played 1 year DE, but that's one of the very reasons I'm extremely high on him. He's proven that he can make a position change and dominate at it very quicky. It took him all but one offseason to do so. LOL.
Add to that, that all the rush LBs except for Sintim will be making a position change, he has proven to me that he was shortest learning curve out of all of them.
Abstract intangibles (leadership, heart, desire to win and be the best, motor, character, etc) are TOP NOTCH and unparalled in my book.

It's nice to see people are reading this and commenting. Everything i see about this kid screams winner to me. I'm pretty excited about our getting him.
Barwin might be a good pick, especially considering his versatility. But, I think he's a bit of a reach at #25. He should be there for us to consider in the 2nd round.
G
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
After his pro day his numbers are all over the internet. He's getting some serious hype. I'm pretty sure he's going to be gone in the first round. I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.
"Xeticus wrote:
After his pro day his numbers are all over the internet. He's getting some serious hype. I'm pretty sure he's going to be gone in the first round. I'd be thrilled to be wrong though.
That's just it. I think you may be picking up on a lot of internet hype. Most of the mocks/projections I have seen to date do not have him coming off the board in the first round.
Of course, come draft day all bets are off. ;)
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
I read somewhere today that he is on New Englands radar and they are really interested in taking him. I hope we do take him at 25 because I have a hunch he is going to be a good one and will be gone off the board somewhere in the first round.
At the combine he ran a 40 yard 4.66 the 2nd best time for his position. At his pro day he blew those numbers away. He's 6'4" and 256 lbs. With his size and speed, and his production last year the numbers I think dictate that someone will take a chance on him. Especially a team looking to improve their linebacking corps. Check this article on his pro day at patriots insider. Yes there's a lot of internet hype but his workout numbers are that impressive. Here's the article. http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=849052
I really hate how New England managed to snag that early second. You know they will take someone we have been looking hard at.
What the analysts think have nothing to do with what the scouts/coaches see, and we'll never see their big boards to find out. LOL. They could care less where the draftnik community has someone.
Look at Jerod Mayo....or every WR last year. ;)
If you guys want someone who really seems to assess players/talent like a top FO, then pay $9.99 to join TheHuddleReport.com. Their senior analyst, Drew Boylehart, watches a ton of film and calls it like he sees it. He has the ability to really look into a player for much more than overall talent. He sees things that no one else sees...and a lot of aspects you would never even think of. He says he can see into a players soul, and I totally believe him.
You see a lot of desparity around February between mainstream analysts and his player rankings/ assessment....and by end March the curve seems to coincedentally and congruently shift toward how he values a player as each of his player profiles come out. He spends a lot of time evaluating a player through out their career, so it takes some time for his profiles to be released.
My point to all of this....is some of these gems like Connor don't show up on the radar till weeks before the draft, after word has had a chance to spread.
Posted via Mobile Device

"ToddsPhins wrote:
What the analysts think have nothing to do with what the scouts/coaches see, and we'll never see their big boards to find out. LOL. They could care less where the draftnik community has someone.
Look at Jerod Mayo....or every WR last year. ;)
If you guys want someone who really seems to assess players/talent like a top FO, then pay $9.99 to join TheHuddleReport.com. Their senior analyst, Drew Boylehart, watches a ton of film and calls it like he sees it. He has the ability to really look into a player for much more than overall talent. He sees things that no one else sees...and a lot of aspects you would never even think of. He says he can see into a players soul, and I totally believe him.
You see a lot of desparity around February between mainstream analysts and his player rankings/ assessment....and by end March the curve seems to coincedentally and congruently shift toward how he values a player as each of his player profiles come out. He spends a lot of time evaluating a player through out their career, so it takes some time for his profiles to be released.
My point to all of this....is some of these gems like Connor don't show up on the radar till weeks before the draft, after word has had a chance to spread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Or....one could visit Simon Clancy's FREE breakdown of Connor Barwin in his week 5 draftwinds breakdown on the Sun Sentinel. He even interviewed him after having watched every snap he's taken.
Barwin is a special talent that I hope continues to be overlooked. If we could get him with 2a or 2b, I'd be elated. He's got great hands and explosiveness. Those are the two things I look for in a pass rushing linebacker, and he's got it in spades.
"StLouisFinFan wrote:
Or....one could visit Simon Clancy's FREE breakdown of Connor Barwin in his week 5 draftwinds breakdown on the Sun Sentinel. He even interviewed him after having watched every snap he's taken.
Barwin is a special talent that I hope continues to be overlooked. If we could get him with 2a or 2b, I'd be elated. He's got great hands and explosiveness. Those are the two things I look for in a pass rushing linebacker, and he's got it in spades.
I posted the link to Boomer's breakdown and interview with Connor Barwin in my original post.
This is funny. I'm really interested in this kid so I've been reading up on him and teams that might be interested in him. The patriots are bringing him in for a workout and patriots fans are chanting on one of their sites "Connor F***ing Barwin." They seem to be really high on him. It's insane to think about but he might be gone at 23 before we even sniff him. A couple months ago no one had ever heard of him now he might be going to NE in the first round.
I've had him in the 1st round for 3 months and to the Pats at 23 for half of it.....and people laughed at me! LOL. I really feel he is a top 10 talent, and if NE is going to take him, then I hope the Packers take him at 9 first :D
Posted via Mobile Device

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I agree with this. There's too much value at the position in round two to reach for a guy like Barwin. Now if you value him as one of the top 3 at the position in this class, than you'd disagree with my point; but I still think Cushing, Sintim, English and Matthews are better prosepcts.
Just curious, why do you like English and Matthews better? English is a projection from a 4-3 DE, same as Barwin and isn't as athletic or versatile as Barwin. Matthews did less in his one season as a starter than Barwin did, and Clay was surrounded by a lot more talent.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"ToddsPhins wrote:
What the analysts think have nothing to do with what the scouts/coaches see, and we'll never see their big boards to find out. LOL. They could care less where the draftnik community has someone.
Look at Jerod Mayo....or every WR last year. ;)
If you guys want someone who really seems to assess players/talent like a top FO, then pay $9.99 to join TheHuddleReport.com. Their senior analyst, Drew Boylehart, watches a ton of film and calls it like he sees it. He has the ability to really look into a player for much more than overall talent. He sees things that no one else sees...and a lot of aspects you would never even think of. He says he can see into a players soul, and I totally believe him.
You see a lot of desparity around February between mainstream analysts and his player rankings/ assessment....and by end March the curve seems to coincedentally and congruently shift toward how he values a player as each of his player profiles come out. He spends a lot of time evaluating a player through out their career, so it takes some time for his profiles to be released.
My point to all of this....is some of these gems like Connor don't show up on the radar till weeks before the draft, after word has had a chance to spread.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. Drew's profiles are worth the subscription price to that site. Don't say his name too loud around here though, some guys still like to hammer him because he suggested in 2004 before the draft that Carey would make a good center. That one comment is enough for some guys to completely disregard the guy's opinions forever. Just like some who will disregard Russ Lande forever just because he likes Sanchez better than Stafford and had him #1 over in his top 99 for a while.
The thing of it is, EVERYONE makes mistakes when it comes to analyzing college players before a draft. But, some who do so, only want to point out other people's missed calls. No draft analyst is always correct, whether they work for an NFL team or post on a web site.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"ToddsPhins wrote:
What the analysts think have nothing to do with what the scouts/coaches see, and we'll never see their big boards to find out. LOL. They could care less where the draftnik community has someone.
Look at Jerod Mayo....or every WR last year. ;)
Totally agree with all of that.
The Pats seem to make a lot of picks that go against conventional wisdom. Most were surprised by the Mayo pick last year and also the Logan Mankins pick a few years ago. The thing to me is though, when the Pats make a surprise early pick, it usually pans out.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I'm a little tentative with Barwin in all honesty; he's only played end for one year and you'd be asking him to switch again. I'd like a little more tape on him.
Everyone but Sintim will have to make the switch, including Mathews. The only thing Connor's 1 year tells me regarding the entire bunch is that he can learn a new position pretty damn fast! LOL. :yes: That's the guy I want! You can tack a question mark onto everyone else on that list as to how much they can learn in 1 year b/c we don't know how long it took them to learn what they know now in order to make them as good as they are now.
If Mathews, for instance, will be a furure impact player.....but it takes him 5 years to get there, then I don't want him when I know Barwin makes a quick transition. This "one year" for Barwin is actually a confidence builder when drafting him, not a detractant. :wink2:

"MrClean wrote:
Just curious, why do you like English and Matthews better? English is a projection from a 4-3 DE, same as Barwin and isn't as athletic or versatile as Barwin. Matthews did less in his one season as a starter than Barwin did, and Clay was surrounded by a lot more talent.
I've posted this a few times... but has anyone gone back to the 2nd half of the Senior Bowl to watch the series when Barwin is at TE going head to head against Mathews? Barwin absolutely manhandled him. There is no way that I take Clay over Connor! :no: LOL.

"MrClean wrote:
I agree. Drew's profiles are worth the subscription price to that site. Don't say his name too loud around here though, some guys still like to hammer him because he suggested in 2004 before the draft that Carey would make a good center. That one comment is enough for some guys to completely disregard the guy's opinions forever. Just like some who will disregard Russ Lande forever just because he likes Sanchez better than Stafford and had him #1 over in his top 99 for a while.
The thing of it is, EVERYONE makes mistakes when it comes to analyzing college players before a draft. But, some who do so, only want to point out other people's missed calls. No draft analyst is always correct, whether they work for an NFL team or post on a web site.
Drew is awesome! He sees things in more than just football talent. I sent him my 1st round grade Connor Barwin profile to him back in January before he released his own.... originally he thought he was a 3rd rounder before he had a chance to really break down his film. Then after he broke down Barwin's game, he changed his mind to absolute 1st rounder through and through.... said he reminded him of Ted Hendricks. Good comparison I think. :wink2:
We'll never know about Carey.... who knows- if they transitioned him to center like Drew said, maybe right now he is holding his own against Wilkford and Jenkins and is a frequent visitor to Hawaii the end of every season. The last I was aware, Vernon hasn't quite lived up to the expectations of his draft status. LOL. SHHH. After all, the Ravens did the same thing with Jason Brown... and that was after Drew mentioned moving Carey in order to become the new wave of dominant centers. I guess his vision about the future of massive, mauling centers was right all along. LOL.

"ToddsPhins wrote:
Everyone but Sintim will have to make the switch, including Mathews.
Matthews has spent time in a 3-4 alignment as a strong-side linebacker. USC plays a hybrid 3-4/4-3 and he's part of the rotation there. Not as much as Sintim but he's played some.
"alen1 wrote:
Matthews has spent time in a 3-4 alignment as a strong-side linebacker. USC plays a hybrid 3-4/4-3 and he's part of the rotation there. Not as much as Sintim but he's played some.
Good point. I agree...but I was more referring to being an every down started in that position along with all the reps it brings. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Alen....at least getting some reps is better than none, right.... And will no doubt help shorten his transition some IMO ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

There are a couple of things I like about Barwin. His insanely good production last season. And his freakish numbers at the combine and his pro day. I'm not a big fan of just looking at the combine numbers. But a guy who can come up with 11 sacks his first season playing defense really impresses me. He might not have the experience but he has good production and might be the best pure athlete available at LB. Imagine what our coaching staff could do with such a talented guy?