1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer help please!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Miamian, Dec 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I'm getting exasperated. About two weeks ago, I started having problems with my e-mail. I use yahoo and for whatever reason I wasn't able to begin a new message in the new format, although I could read my old messages. Switching to their old format I was able to open new windows but not add attachments and I couldn't read mail. Sending attachments is very important for attaching resumes.

Basically, I had to have two windows open simultaneously one to read and one to send, but without attachments. I consulted with several of their technicians who couldn't reproduce the problem on my account and I was able to use internet cafes without any hitches so that suggested that the problem was intrinsic to my computer and I suspected spyware/virus, so I physically took it to a shop. They worked on it and told me that if I have any further problems then it could be with the ISP or the browser. It cost me about $70. I called the ISP's customer service who claimed that it must be the browser, but the same thing happened with Internet Explorer.

Somebody please help!

2. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

make sure that all of your operating system updates are up to date. if you use IE7, go to Microsoft and check for update as well. you may have to remove Yahoo and then re-install as well.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The thing about technical support is that they will usually claim the fault lies elsewhere.

First, you shouldn't have taken your machine to a shop. All they do is load up a CD of applications you can download and use yourself for free. You wasted your money.

Second, your ISP is blameless here. All they do is route your internet traffic: if you have a problem with a browser being unable to perform a function, it's a local problem. That is, it's something on your computer.

What browser are you using? Do you download monthly system updates from Microsoft? What kind of anti-malware protection do you have? Do you have a virus scanner, a firewall, a spyware scanner, etc?

4. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I use Firefox usually and installed the latest update. The shop installed Spybot and Avast scanner.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  5. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Funny IE updated itself to 7. I didn't do anything.

6. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    do you have the latest firefox? did you install any types of Firefox add-ons or extensions? which version of yahoo mail do you use: regular mail or their new beta mail?

7. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    buy a mac.. i say...

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Alright, there is supposed to be glitch with the new IE update, something about you have to restore to a earlier time if you have XP, M$ is supposed to be "investigating" the problem.

Mozilla acted up yesterday as well and I restored, no luck, pulled wifi card and no luck unplugged router and then shut down computer reinstalled wifi card and that seemed to work.

You also may try reinstalling the latest Mozilla version on top of your already updated Mozilla version...

9. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I installed Firefox 2 without any add-ons or extensions. I've tried using both versions of yahoo mail. In beta I can read messages, but not create or reply. In classic I can't read but I can create and reply, however I can't attach files.

I've come to a satisficing solution. I'm using my ISP's account to send and will just read my yahoo mail.

10. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    worth a shot.

11. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Did you clone yourself? That's illegal!

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Firefox updates and Windows updates are two totally different things.

Load Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu, select Windows Update. Download all of the patches.

13. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Ok, thanks.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Careful updating IE 7:

15. quelonio

quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    shhhhh... i am thinking of making sure my side wins next election, by having many of me...

16. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    That doesn't happen to me. The site buttons and shortcuts simply don't work.

17. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Well, if Calderon is prone to use "unconventional" means, maybe he's already thought of this.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    On yahoo mail the buttons do not work, but they work otherwise?

Try turning off the java script and all the other accroutraments by using your tools tab

Could be it is a problem with one of the interminable ads that do freeze a browser sometimes....it used to freeze my Mozilla browser occasionally then the next visit, it works fine..YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  19. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    i should of asked this long time ago. what are you computer spec's & what OS are you running: w2k, XP or Vista?

20. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    That didn't work. Actually, one of the recommendations that Yahoo staff gave me was to download the latest Java and that didn't work either. I get this with or without ads.

21. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I have XP. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't remember where to find the specs.

22. PaPhinz

PaPhinz New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    For your specs go to Start, right click on My Computer, go to Properties and on the General Tab it should list your specs such as processor speed, ram, and OS and Service Packs. If you need more info you can go to Start, Run, type in dxdiag hit enter and there are different tabs for different pieces of hardware, etc.

As far as your problem I don't really use Yahoo but does your browser give an error indication at the bottom or anything? I know in IE it will like a yellow triangle with an !, if so see what that says maybe it'll help?

23. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Ok,

it's XP, 2002 version, Service pack 2. It has an AMD Sempron tm processor 2500; 1.41 ghz, 448 megs of RAM.

24. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    You know, sometimes a complete reload of your OS is the best thing you can do to a computer.

Just make sure you have copies of all your apps with the license codes and such before you do it.

I'm guessing you've cleared out your cache, cookies, etc, etc multiple time and checked all the settings (i.e. in IE the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab).

25. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    You guessed right. I'm really hesitant to do that because I have company software plugged-in and I need it in order to work.

26. PaPhinz

PaPhinz New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Just out of curiousity I was skimming around for your problem and saw there was a new version of yahoo mail that people were having problems with the buttons but it had a link where you could switch back to yahoo's older version. I have no clue how old the stuff I was reading was but maybe that's an option? I'll keep looking around and see if I can find anything else though, hopefully someone can help ya get this fixed.

27. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Yeah, it does and I've tried that too. I can send mail in the old format, but I can't attach files. Thanks for the concern.