1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparing Chad Henne's first 3 years to Drew Brees first 3 years

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, May 18, 2011.

1. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Oh boy. The folks that just read the titles are going to be all over me! :lol: I'm the first one to jump all over someone for trying to use stats to try and make Chad Henne look like an all pro QB. But if you humor me for a moment, I wanted to used some very BROAD comparisons of the two QBs and their first two years.

Year 1:

Drew Brees / 1 games / 221 yards / 1 TD / 0 INT
    Chad Henne / 3 games / 67 yards / 0 TDs / 0 INT

Not much to look at here. Both had very limited action in their first season.

Year 2:

Drew Brees / 16 games / 3284 yards / 17 TDs / 16 INT
    Chad Henne / 14 games / 2878 yards / 12 TDs / 14 INT

Brees with the better TD to INT ratio, but the point here is both QBs showed promise in their second season.

Year 3:

Drew Brees / 11 games / 2108 yards / 11 TDs / 15 INT
    Chad Henne / 15 games / 3301 yards / 15 TDs / 19 INT

Although Henne actually improved in yardage, the TD to INT ratio went down, and most agree he regressed. Brees clearly regressed.

Year 4:

Drew Brees / 15 games / 3159 yards / 27 TDs / 7 INT
    Chad Henne / ??? / ???? / ??? / ???

My worry about Henne is / was I couldn't recall anyone who had looked promising to start, regressed, and then lit the world on fire. I had forgotten how Drew Brees' career started. Now, this doesn't mean I think Henne is going to be a success just because Brees overcame a big regression early in his career. It just means that I'm a little more open minded about what Henne might be able to accomplish with the right situation. There is so much else that will go into it such as coaching, supporting cast, etc. but here's hoping! :up:

A big difference however: We don't have a Phil Rivers on our bench should Henne fail. :pity:

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I hope he becomes as good as Drew Brees

3. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I would take half as good as Drew Brees at this point!

miamiron, DolfanJake and jdang307 like this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I was not sold on Brees during his first three years. Which shows that I can be surprised by a player.

Will Henne be someone who succeeds or someone who is just good enough. He has the tools.

HULKFish and SCall13 like this.
  5. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Drew Brees is a complete anomaly. How many QBs sucked their first 3 years and went on to become a perennial Pro-Bowler? Not many!

Chad Henne being the next Drew Brees is possible.
    Chad Henne being the next Drew Brees is improbable.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think one of the reasons that the quarterbacks in the league is not as good as it was 10 years ago or so is the fact that quarterbacks don't get three years to suck before turning it on.

HULKFish likes this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I agree with you 100%. However, the only QB I can think of that was allowed 3 years (or, to be fair, call it 2 years plus a little bit) is Terry Bradshaw. Bradshaw pretty much started and sucked his first 5 years in the league before he finally "got it".

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Problem is, those seasons do not happen in vaccuums, "Brees threw for such and such with a rating of so and so"

How about W/L's?

2001: irrelevant he had 27 passes
    2002: 8-8
    2003: 2-9
    2004: 9-7
    2005: 10-6

29-30

Not bad right?

How about..terrible, the Charger fans and Marty S wanted to run him out of SD on a rail so they drafted..Eli Manning..who was traded for Phil Rivers, Brees got one more shot had a decent yr in 05:

64% 3,600 yds 25 Td's and 15 int's.

But injured his shoulder as we all know by now, add in guess who Brees's running back was?

# of carries:

2002 372
    2003 313
    2004 339
    2005 339

L Tomlinson, but gosh, to hear it, Drew Brees was all on his lonesome down in SD and developed himself without any one else who was any good..

9. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Good point. Never know how a QB will pan out. Henne could turn out to be very good. He certainly has the tools and can make all the throws. Consistency is the issue. If he can be consistent, then we have ourselves a very capable QB. He also needs a little help with a consistent running game (which Brees has enjoyed mostly) and a solid offensive line.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  10. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Chargers drafted Rivers after Brees' awful 2003 campaign. Not after 2004 and 2005 as your post seems to imply.

As to your other points, reread my post -

I wasn't implying Brees did it all alone. Simply comparing Henne to a QB who struggled early in his career who is now flourishing.

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Chargers did the smart thing. After a terrible 3rd year, they drafted a QB high. We didn't. We're stuck with Henne.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    They also had the 5th pick in the draft, during a very strong QB draft.

I highly doubt the Chargers would have drafted a QB at 15 in this years draft or they would have traded up for Gabbert.

SCall13 likes this.
  13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The point that I am making is Brees had help at running back via LT, Henne has not as of yet had that Feature Back to bail him out like Brees had in LT, this is one of the reasons why I am so strongly in favor of adding to the running game and relying on it more as it helps a Qb to develop ala Rivers and Brees.

If one looks at the W/L record, it can easily be argued that Henne is better then Brees was at that point in time, Henne's first two yrs he is 14-15 Brees was 10-17, which should tell you something about Dolfans and young qb's..they do not wish to hear "developing"...:lol:

Perhaps one mistook my intentions, I am not saying "Henne sux" or "Henne needs more time" what I am saying is Henne needs that running back to take the burden off of him.

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yeah, that Brees was just not a SB winning caliber Qb..oh wait.

15. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    That is a good point and i can't believe between Ricky and Ronnie , Henne had terrible help this last season.
    Hopefully we have a running game this year to make things easier on the whole team not just Henne but even the Defense would appreciate it.(and us poor fans)

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I am the largest Daniel Thomas fan I know for a reason, Henne needs some help, something a bit stronger then the 3.7 ypc.

Ophinerated likes this.
  17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Actually the Chargers drafted Eli Manning. Either way, they brought in legitimate competition. That is something the Dolphins have failed to do with Henne.

jdang307 likes this.
  18. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

It would be great if Henne finds his way on this list.

Chad Henne, 26 Starts, 569 Comp, 925 Att, 62%, 6108 Yds, 6.6 YPA, 27 TD, 32 Int, Rate 76
    Phil Simms, 24 Starts, 327 Comp, 667 Att, 49%, 4061 Yds, 6.0 YPA, 28 TD, 33 Int, Rate 62
    Troy Aikman, 26 Starts, 381 Comp, 692 Att, 55%, 4328 Yds, 6.3 YPA, 20 TD, 36 Int, Rate 62
    Drew Brees, 27 Starts, 525 Comp, 882 Att, 60%, 5267 Yds, 6.0 YPA, 28 TD, 31 Int, Rate 73
    Warren Moon, 30 Starts, 459 Comp, 827 Att, 55%, 6047 Yds, 7.3 YPA, 27 TD, 33 Int, Rate 73
    Dan Fouts, 26 Starts, 308 Comp, 626 Att, 49%, 4254 Yds, 6.8 YPA, 16 TD, 36 Int, Rate 56
    Steve Young, 25 Starts, 307 Comp, 570 Att, 53%, 3787 Yds, 6.6 YPA, 21 TD, 21 Int, Rate 72

http://www.pro-football-reference.com

The odds are pretty long for the kid, but not unprecedented.

The good news is that there seems to be a level of good young talent on both sides of the ball that hasn't been here in years. The bad news is that someone needs to drive the bus and Henne's fallen asleep at the wheel about 1/2 the time. So far.

GMJohnson and SCall13 like this.
  19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    What are you talking about. I live in SD. I enjoy telling everyone who will listen that if they kept Brees San Diego probably already wins a SB by now.

But what they did was smart. They hedged their bets. letting Brees go for zero compensation was stupid, as was letting Turner go, but that's AJ. Hedging their bets was smart. We didn't. We're dumb.

gafinfan likes this.
  20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    SMH

Now if one had the #1 overall, and Chad Henne, maybe there is a point to be made.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wins and losses, that is all that matters smahatz, everything else is conversation.

22. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    With all due respect, Henne didn't regress last season. It was his stats that regressed, and they did so b/c the entire offense around him regressed. He improved or stayed the same in virtually every aspect of his game. Some of those improvements might have been slight, but they were improvements none the less. The area that didn't improve was has deep passing; however, we took away his only deep threat and failed to replace it.
    Hopefully by mid season Henne & Gates will have some chemistry developed.

SCall13 and padre31 like this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    All true, my quibble with Henne is I do not like the uncertainty he represents, he could get better, he could get worse, how much time should be spent on him?

And by midseason, if he has not developed timing already we will once again be de facto eliminated from the playoffs, keep in mind the schedule is front and back loaded, we start out say 1-3, it is not just 1-3, it is 3 conference losses.

That is what screwed us in 2010, would like to avoid a repeat in 2011.

24. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I fully agree with this. I wish the draft would have provided us with a chance at Stanzi or even Mallet in the third or even Palmer gets cut or Orton is cut so we dont give up picks on someone that isnt better in fact than Henne, someone that no doubt still has it and is proven very good and clearly better. Someone w/o questions. Noone is that for us this year.

But we factpor cost and bring in the best least risk with the ability to compete with Henne. Henne should not be named the starter, he should be given the chance to keep it tho. Yes he had issues last year that no matter what he is to blame for, but it isnt like the rest of the offense was held back by Henne. Ronnie was tentative, the middle of the line was dysfunctional and the star wr was a diva. There was enough surrounding Henne to say if the whole is fixed that he COULD turn around and reach the potential he had in 09

25. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

Can't argue that it WASN'T the smart thing, but they drafted a QB in a more QB strong draft. This year was certainly not a QB strong year. A lot of "hopefuls." I still have to say the Patriots nabbed the best QB of this draft with Mallet. We didn't get him because of plenty of other needs. Henne still has a chance to prove he can be the guy. He doesn't need a Rivers to prove it. He can get it done or Palmer can get it done ( if we land him -((only other REAL option out there)). It doesn't necessarily take a high draft pick to push you to get to the next level. It take a strong supporting cast. We are still waiting for another Marino. Not gonna happen. We need a good team all around with everyone giving it there all. A strong defense. A consistent o-line coupled with consistent running. Solid QB play. And certainly a much improved special teams play will be huge. It takes it all. Henne can get it done. He has proven everything as an NFL QB but consistency. He can be that given the opportunity WITH all the right tools. If he doesn't, then we'll have to move on next year. This year wasn't the draft to take a gamble on a QB that would likely would have likely been a lesser QB than we already have on our roster.

JMHPhin likes this.
  26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I wonder what they were before the injury, QBR wise, first 9 games, before the benching, and without the bogus int's.

most agree he played well in 2009, well he followed it up until he got benched..lol...If he had some average special teams, a pretty good rungame, and a coach who doesn't **** with his head and his oppurtunities, and minus a bogus call, we would of been in first place.

27. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

We are told, by the powers that are, there were two QBs rated high on our board that were both gone by the time we picked Pouncey at #15. We didn't move up a few spots because, we are told, we lacked to ammo to do so yet one round later we moved up a round just to get a RB. While both picks we got fit our needs to expect me to believe that we really ever had designs on a QB is pure hogwash!

The whole point of Drew Brees' rise from the ashes is because he is 1. very damn competitive
    and 2. was put on the hot seat by his FO because of the Rivers pick at #5 where as he was taken at #32. Henne like Brees was picked to be "The Guy" unlike Brees Henne will have either a street FA or UDFA picked as his competition rather than a First rounder breathing down his neck. I also don't see Henne as anywhere near the TYPE personality of Drew Brees.

In the end it really doesn't matter because as I've said before Its pretty much a given Henne will start for this team. Where we end up after that is pretty much anyones guess!:lol:

padre31 likes this.
  28. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree, this is what bothers me. We did not give ourselves any option but to stick with Henne all year and we have no one developing in case he can't put it together. Brees responded to the pressure of a young Qb behind him by outplaying him, if Henne crumbles because we drafted another guy high then good riddance. Right now if Henne fails we are going to be trading up or hoping someone falls in the draft and playing the FA Market for a vet cast off, not good. Especially when we have a really promising young defense in its prime. We should have left ourselves an insurance policy this year IMO.

29. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Moving up in the first round is a way more expensive than moving up in later rounds. To get ahead of the Vikings to select Ponder we would have needed to trade our 1st and 3rd. If Ponder wasn't one of the two they were eying, trading up for Gabbert would have cost our 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

30. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

More expensive yes, way more is nothing more than a play on words imho. As well as the fact that a a running back, even a franchise Running back has not near the effect on positive team outcome as that "way more" expensive QB! Case in point Ronnie Brown! Not convinced, how about "Caddylack" Williams? Do you need one, well of course its a team sport! Do you need to give up two extra draft picks just to get one? Maybe you and Mike Ditka think so, however I do not! That is even more true based on the fact that both of our street guys are first rounders that have stated they are more than willing to return if only given the chance.

Color me unimpressed, as for the appearence of those Chunk yardage plays caused by this baby shoe box thinking, I wait in breathless antisipation, fist pumps at the ready! (Just so you know my sarsacm is directed at our great FO/HC types ..... not you)

In the end you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree GA, a Franchise Running back does have a hugely positive impact, not as much as a Franchise Qb, but moreseo then anyother position on the field, a solid Franchise Rb can handle the rock 440 times between rushing attempts and receptions, a "franchise" Qb will have maybe 600 pass attempts in a season.

440 touches vs 540 passing attempts

100 attempts divided by 16 games=6.25 attempts more for the Qb vs the Franchise rb.

That is why I say, our problem is not the Qb per se, our problem is we do not have a running back who can carry the load, in Cleveland for example, Hillis had 270 rushing attempts and 60 receptions for 330 touches and he missed two games.

32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Bolded part just isn't true, Padre. I know you're on this big kick lately that a great RB can heal all woes, but it's a position that is just not as important in today's NFL as others on the field. Don't you think there's a reason that no RB was taken in the first 10 picks this year?

Also, you have to factor in production. The difference in production a franchise RB will give you compared to what a committee of mediocre RBs will give you is just not that much.

Example -

Adrian Peterson - 1298 yards last year.
    Toby Gerhart - 322

BenJarvis Green Ellis - 1008
    Danny Woodhead - 547

This is just one example and I'm only counting their 2 most productive guys. But you can see it's only a difference of 65 total yards. Divide that out over a 16 game season and that's 4 yards per game difference.

Now take a position like DB. You take a Darelle Revis and compare him to a mediocre DB and look at the impact he will have on a team. I'm not saying a great RB is worthless. Just that it's clearly not the 2nd most important position on the field.

GMJohnson likes this.
  33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Apples to oranges MB, not "a running back by cmte" a "feature back" the man, a stud, ride the horse, LT, M Turner, not "we have 2 decent backs" as that has proven to simply not be as predictive of a W/L record, and as I have shown, our fortunes have plummeted since that NFL Groupthink has taken hold in Miami.

Put it his way, show me a back who had 300 plus carries and you will show me a team who had a successful season, even the Rams who finished what 6-10? Were in contention on the final week of the season with SJax toting the rock 330 times.

34. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Chris Johnson / 316 Attempts / 1364 yards / The Titans finished 6-10.

Arian Foster / 327 Attempts / 1616 yards / The Texans finished 6-10.

Hmmm. Well there's consistency here. The fact that you used a 6-10 team to bolster your argument doesn't really give you too much solid ground here, Padre. Between AP, Chris Johnson, and Arian Foster we have covered the best RBs and the most effect RB last season and not one of them had a winning season. So do you want to clarify your position?

If you want to continue to hold onto the stance that a franchise RB is more important than say a shut down corner who can completely shut down an entire side of the field, then go ahead. But it's just not true.

35. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Where did I say anything about the value of a QB vs the value of a RB? Your original post questioned the validity of Ireland's statement that we lacked the ammo to move up in the first round and used the fact that we moved up in the second to get a RB as support.

My point is that the cost to move around in the first round is way more (defined as costing picks of much greater value) than to move around in other rounds. So the fact that we were able to move around later does not in any way suggest we had the ability to do so in the first round. The picks I presented earlier are based on the draft value chart and assume that a) the team in the slot above the QB is willing to trade and b) the other team is willing to accept the value on the chart. Its entirely possible that the Texans and/or Dallas had no interest in trading or were only willing to do so at a premium.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    But wait, the Texans have a Franchise Qb, how can that be?

Titans were starting Rusty Smith, now a Feature Back does not require Drew Brees, but Rusty Smith? Just how honest is Rusty Smith going to keep a defense?

And let us see the teams who had a Feature Back who were successful:

-Atl Turner
    -Pit Mendenhall
    -Balt Ray Rice
    -Rams S Jax
    -Jags MJD (299)

Only team that had a 300 carry rusher who had a terrible season was:

-Ced Benson 337

And isn't Carson Palmer a "franchise qb"?

37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Ugh. You just said matter of factly show me a team with a RB who had 300 carries and I'll show you a team that was successful. You made that statement irregardless of QB play. I then went on to show you the best RB last season and the RB who is considered one of the best in the league both had over 300 yards and their respective teams were not successful.

Now you're factoring in QBs? When your original argument is that all you need is a franchise RB? That's just plain laughable man! And let me point out again - 6-10 and missing the playoffs is NOT a successful season! Come on man! Jags, ALSO not a successful season.

The three teams you mentioned that DID have successful seasons did so because THEY HAVE QUARTERBACKS!

Sorry to get frustrated, Padre, but your backpedaling is making this an impossible discussion.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't agree with the "nobody knows how a QB will turn out" sentiment. IMO you can make some decent guesses if you're good at QB evaluation. I was somebody who believed in Brees after those first three years b/c I saw many things in him that would lead to success given time and the right environment. It's too simplistic to just look at wins and losses or even stats. That ignores cause and effect. All it does is provide a forum for you to look at any result and leap to whatever reason you feel like highlighting and saying "that's the reason".

I don't believe that Henne showed as much promise as Brees did (on the field, not in the stats). But I do believe he showed some promise. I don't think that promise was enough to reasonably expect him to blossom into a franchise guy, but it was enough to reasonably believe that he could blossom into a guy you could win with in the right environment (ie. better play calling that highlighted his strengths and minimized his weaknesses and enough play making weapons around him).

GMJohnson and MonstBlitz like this.
  39. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd expect some common sense Bro, Rusty Smith? Dude, a Rook Qb from FAU?

Texans Defense was massively bad, as in lost games in last 30 seconds bad, recall Jason Allen being burned by Holmes with 15 seconds left in the game?

Now I'll grant a Feature Back will not make everything wonderful, if I made it seem that way that is on me, and my mistake, on the whole though 8 backs had 300 carries, 5 had successful seasons, 3 did not, Foster had a "franchise Qb" and it did not help, CJ had no Qb, Benson had a franchise Qb.

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Again, 6-10 and 8-8 is NOT a successful season! Even if we call a successful season a winning record and leave playoffs out of it, it's still ONLY 3!!! And like I said, those teams have quarterbacks.

When the current superbowl champion started an undrafted RB out of University of Buffalo in the superbowl, and did not have a franchise RB the ENTIRE season, you're going to have a real hard time proving that a franchise RB holds a tremendous amount of value as compared to other positions. You got on this kick looking at data from 10 years ago. And you're trying to apply it to today. Unless the landscape of the NFL changes again, it doesn't work. The value of the RB will continue to depreciate. A great RB is a luxury, not a necessity.