1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commentary: Training Camp Battles, Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Last time around, I spoke about the tight end position. As I said last time, I'm going post about the wide receiver position.

Training Camp Battle #3 - Wide Receiver position

Combatants (I use the term loosely. Some of these guys aren't worrying about their job): Ted Ginn, Jr., Ernest Wilford, Derek Hagan, Greg Camarillo, Davone Bess, David Kircus, Jayson Foster, Selwyn Lymon, Justin Wynn, John Dunlap

Overview: Last year, the receiving corps needed a boost. And for that, they drafted Ted Ginn, Jr. While Ted Ginn wasn't always able to show he could do (not his fault, at all), he showed a lot of talent when he was able to, such as the Giants game. Plus he actually returned three kicks for a touchdown (though he was only put down for once. I hope Ted Ginn collected his money from Hagan and Camarillo after the called-back touchdowns).

However, all throughout last season, the receiving corps changed, with Chris Chambers being trade for a second round draft pick (which lead to the drafting of Chad Henne) and Marty Booker being waived during the offseason, along with last year's fifth receiver Kerry Reed.

Leftover from the receiving corps was Ted Ginn Jr., Derek Hagan, and Greg Camarillo. During the offseason, a few free agents were added, including redzone target Ernest Wilford, David Kircus, and Tab Perry (who is now on injured reserve).

So, during the draft, a lot of people (myself included) thought that a wide receiver would be taken in the draft. However, the whole draft passed and undrafted free agents were added in former quarterback Jayson Foster, Davone Bess, Justin Wynn, Selwyn Lymon, and most recently John Dunlap.

My predicted winners: This where things get tricky. There's actually more than one battle.

The first battle is for the starting job on the other side of Ted Ginn, and it will be between Derek Hagan and Ernest Wilford. While some people believe Wilford wins the job hands down, there are a few factors to consider. For one, and this point was brought up CKParrothead recently, while Wilford is great in the redzone, how effective would he be between the 20-yard lines? Plus, recently, it was reported that Hagan was our best receiver during the minicamps (contrary to camp reporters working for local the newspapers). Plus Hagan is faster than Ernest Wilford.

The second battle would be for the last two spots. Greg Camarillo and David Kircus does have the experience edge. However, it wouldn't be the first time a veteran was knocked off by a relatively young newcomer.

My Winners: Ted Ginn *, Derek Hagan**, Ernest Wilford**, Greg Camarillo, Selwyn Lymon.

*= Starter.
    **= Fight for the second starting spot.

Please discuss.

HULKFish, brandon27, ssmiami and 2 others like this.
  2. gcd960

gcd960 Junior Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Camarillo definelty should get a pass on that hold.

I am with the popular vote and hoping Bess makes it. Not sure really why but when you watched HI games, he did his thing.

What a shocker that would be if Hagan started opposite Ginn. That suggestion is somehting i never even thought of.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd be shocked be shocked and amazed if Hagan starts over Wilford. I obviously wouldn't have a problem with it as long as Hagan shows up in games and not just practice. However, for the money we paid for Wilford and his presence in the red zone, he better be out there when we're inside the 20. I def dont trust Hagan enough to give him many chances to drop TDs yet. If he proves himself on the rest of the field then I'm sure he'll get a shot.

BTW go Bess!

4. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    Camarillo has a free pass for life, IMO. But as far as Hagan...I agree with everyone else. I just don't trust him yet.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Wilford is, simply put, a target. Hes a big physical reciever who can make tough catches. I dont know if hes an everydown guy, but in the redzones and possession downs he is an ideal target guy. Very solid. I would love to see Hagan step it up and become a #2 guy, but he absolutely HAS to stop dropping the ball in games. Id give him a few passes in games 1-2 and see how he does. If he grabs them and gets some confidence in I think he can be solid. If he cant hold em, really, at this point he might as well just get cut.
    And the other 2 spots are just so hard to call now. Camarillo seems pretty solid and has experience, so Id count him in. Bess is reportedly doing pretty well too so you could likely make a case for him. But its tough to really count anyone out right now. IMO the most important thing for anyone besides Ginn/Wil/Hag will be their special teams play dont forget!

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nice write up, but i'm surprised you dont have Davone Bess in there at all. I thought i read around here that he was doing pretty well?

7. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    I hear that the FO have been impressed in Hagan so far, and it wouldn't surprise me if he had a good pre-season, that he started opposite Ginn. They may even rotate him and Wilford?

8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I put Lymon in there because I love his size speed. However, it would not surprise me one bit if Bess gets the last spot. I think Kircus and and of the undrafted wide receivers has a shot, though the top four, IMO, is Lymon, Kircus, Bess, and Dunlap.