1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combine Week: Who I am Watching

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Feb 15, 2015.

1. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Sarcasm?

2. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Alright so anyway,as there are plenty of other players to discuss. Anyone you got an eye on for the Phins who will have make or break combine?

And it is really f****** in Tampa today you are correct in that fact.

ckparrothead likes this.
  3. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    They're a byproduct of their great OL, not their talent.

4. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Like Alabama?

5. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Not so much Gregory, but Abdullah is the one that intrigues me. He is shifty, always falls forward, has incredible balance and will outwork anyone on the team. My one issue with him is ball security.

djphinfan likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks like kevin white ran his way into the top ten easy. shame we wouldn't touch green-beckham.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    *knee slapper* This guy, with the jokes.

Fin-Omenal and shamegame13 like this.
  8. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I'm glad I can entertain you. :up:

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He was after Tannehill.

10. MrClean

The Wisconsin OL did not have all the studs this year like they've had in recent seasons. The 2014 OL, I'd say was average to good, but definitely not "great".

11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    If you think Melvin Gordon has been successfull because of his OL, then you haven't watched many Wisconsin games.

12. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    No disrespect to Gordon but is he worth a 1st round pick, for a passing team that already has a decent back? Why not use a lower pick on a complimentary back or sign one in FA, its not like they cost a ton of $$$.

MrClean likes this.
  13. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Gordon has a different talent level. He has elite skills.

14. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm wondering if we'd be better off taking a starting CB or LB in the first bc there are usually Lamar Miller's who can get the job done to be had in the 3rd or 4th round.

MrClean likes this.
  15. MrClean

I agree with Radiator Toyota. :yes:

Piston Honda likes this.
  16. nathandennison

nathandennison New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Being a UK fan I don't get to see much college football, but from watching the combine and highlights online Jake Fisher from Oregon looks a good fit, anybody think he could move inside and be a good quality starter for us at left guard?

17. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    So after two days this is what has impressed me....

OL:
    Ali Marpet - heard a bunch in Senior Bowl about Hofstra OG, cat is out of the bag after impressive performance
    E. Flowers - impressive strength plain and simple, didn't realize he played OG for two years..... intriguing at #14 depending on plan with him.
    L. Collins - steady just how I expected, really trying to prove he's a OT
    J. Fisher - Kyle Long has turned out pretty well, I expect the same from Fisher going in 15-25 range in round 1
    C. Irving - 30 reps was not expecting that, his versatility is so useful and his athleticism supports it

TE:
    M. Williams - not an amazing 40 time but he plays faster, you can see her is a natural pass catcher in drills #1 TE IMO
    C. Walford - think he solidified his #2 TE in this draft with solid combine
    J. James - 6'7" with a 37 inch vertical.... that is silly

QB:
    Winston - really question anyone who doubts this kids ability, he touch on some of those deep balls were crazy, not suprised by his combine numbers being subpar
    Mariota - no reason he should fall out of Top 10 a very solid player who works his butt off his footwork seemed solid, but tough to judge without pass rush in your face
    B. Petty - one thing is the ball explodes out of his hand, be interesting to see his transition to pro style play

RB: not too impressed with overall numbers TBH
    M. Gordon - impressive numbers, but though 40 would be faster shall see at Pro Day, weigh in numbers were nice
    David Johnson - seemed like he was top performer in most categories, for a 6'1 225lb 4.5 is very nice, 25 reps, 41.5 inch vertical
    Duke Johnson - not spectacular but his vision is what sets him apart either way think he is 2nd round worthy after combine and tape
    J. Langford - where did that speed come from??? either way good for you young man, just earned yourself some more money
    K. Williams - athleticism is not the problem, still think move to Safety or WR would be better move for him

WR: This group did not disappoint
    K. White - probably smart to take him off your Mocks from this point on, he will be first off the board if the team is smart too much to like
    A. Cooper - solid numbers all around nothing flashy, speed is there with 4.42 but lack of vertical shows some weakness in lower body, either way his route running is precise, wouldn't shock me to see teams reach on players over Cooper
    D. Parker - Ok, well he could be the one left at #14 and he should be considered after 4.45 and 36.6 inch vertical at 6'3" is the type we are missing at WO
    DGB - wow, he is a physical freak at 237lbs with a 4.49. He needs to be considered as a lot have stated previously
    J. Strong - nothing fake bout 4.44 with a 42 inch vertical, still think #14 is too high
    T. Lockett - he will be a stud in the slot for a team next year, could see him to Carolina in round 2 for that speed element, hands are like glue
    P. Dorsett - didn't break the record but he proved he belongs natural hands catcher which is great
    N. Agholor - smooth 40 time and reminds me a lot of Maclin type receiver
    C. Conley - wow, but there is always one guy who is a physical freak, what worries me is not many scouts talking about him before yesterday
    R. Greene - another kid who will be solid pro, and shows he has speed to be a real threat

18. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The 40 times from this year's running backs should make one appreciate the combine 4.40 by Lamar Miller. Without that he likely gets caught from behind on that 97-yarder this year, and the Dolphins don't have a true breakaway threat at running back. These top guys this year (Gordon, Gurley, Abdullah, etc.) won't be breakaway threats in the NFL, and Miller will have been picked two to three rounds behind them and is still making peanuts.

Brasfin likes this.
  19. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I think Gordon is a breakaway threat, but it will be mitigated in the NFL... he won't keep busting those huge runs on a regular basis like he did in college.

20. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I still take Gordon all day over Miller. He can take 20-25 carries a game, make people miss, and break tackles.

21. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    I'm not sure why there is a perception that Miller can't take that many carries per game. In fact he weighs nearly 10 pounds more than Gordon while being three inches shorter, which suggests that based on body composition alone, he's more durable. The fact that Miller averaged the number of carries he did per game in 2014 is likely more a sign of the kind of offense the Dolphins preferred to run (pass-first), and the fact that it's wise from a personnel standpoint in today's NFL to have two backs accrue carries for a team, rather than just one.

zwave21 likes this.
  22. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    If the 4.52 he ran is any indication of the kind of breakaway speed he has, it'll take nearly perfect conditions for him to bust the kind of 97-yard run Miller did, or do anything like it, in the NFL. There are linebackers in the NFL who run the same 40 times Gordon did yesterday.

23. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Miller is no slouch but he's only good for 12-15 carries. We need another back to pair with him, not sure we should spend a 1st round pick to do it.

zwave21 likes this.
  24. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    My perception comes from watching him play and watching the way the coaches managed his work load. He's not a physical or volume runner, that's why Moreno was brought in and I'm confident another back will be brought in soon. We ran a pass first offense bc we pretty much had no other choice. It was either adding more passes or giving the ball to Thomas/Williams. Not a hard decision imo.

25. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    There are few if any volume runners in the NFL anymore, as teams have started to realize that as you give running backs 30+ carries a game for several years in a row, their careers essentially end. Even the running back in the NFL with the most carries per game this past year (D. Murray) averaged just shy of 25 carries a game. The runner with the next-most carries per game (L. McCoy) averaged under 20. Lamar Miller was 15th in the league in that regard (carries per game), and on a team that was 9th in the league in the percentage of pass plays it ran (nearly 62%).

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is mostly because his yards per carry tends to decrease when he gets more carries.

27. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    It's actually the opposite. The correlation between his number of carries and his yards per carry, for his career, is 0.32. It's a fairly meager correlation, but it's a positive correlation, meaning that as he carries the ball more, his yards per carry increase. I caution people not to put much stock in any belief they're deriving from what they're seeing on TV.

28. MrClean

He did not go to Hofstra. He went to tiny Hobart College in Geneva NY. We consider Hofstra as a fairly small school itself, but the enrollment there is like 12,000. The enrollment at Hobart is only like 2300. So Hobart is to Hofstra size wise, like Hofstra is to, for example, Florida or Florida State.

29. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Yeah, makes sense why should we keep a 23 year old back coming off his first 1,000 yd season with limited carries and 5.1 ypc. Come on man, Lamar deserves better than that especially for a guy who hasn't run a down in NFL yet

30. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for correction those new york schools beginning with H's lol. Pretty sure Hofstra's program disbanded no?

31. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Would love to hear people's thoughts outside of Gordon, who will be a 1st round pick, and who wouldn't fall into major need category for our team.

Sad, that after the WR's destroyed the combine along with DL.

LB's were meh, and RB's were basic.

Let's please discuss outside of Gordon.

32. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    julius thomas might be available

zwave21 likes this.
  33. MrClean

I wouldn't know about Hofstra without looking it up, but so few players come out of there, the program could be closed for several years before most of us would notice.

34. MrClean

Maybe Shelton's bad 40 time will knock him down to our pick.

35. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'd like to see the run-pass ratio closer to 55-45, with a higher percentage of passes off of play action and/or designed to attack down the field. Assuming 32 runs per game Miller and his cohort would ideally get 12-15 carries each with a few read options mixed in.

36. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Film study is the only accurate way to decipher what's happening on a football field. That's why players, coaches, scouts at every level spend thousands of hours doing it. Once you accept that maybe you'll stop with all the laughably off the mark stat sheet assertions you're prone to making.

37. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    The average in the NFL over the past two years has been 61.6% in favor of the pass, with only very slight variation among teams. The Dolphins in 2014 were also at 61.6%, the league average. 55% to 45% in favor of the pass would've leaned toward the run more than all but 7 teams in the league in 2014, and there wasn't any better performance on average among those 7 teams than there was among the other 25 in the league. The Dolphins were also among the league leaders in pass attempts off of play-action, and in fact Ryan Tannehill performed much better when there was no play-action. In other words, none of what you'd like to see has any sort of benefit that's supported objectively.

38. Tannephins

Tannephins Banned

Dec 23, 2014
    If you were a player, a coach, or a scout, and your posts here were based on film study, I'd certainly have a whole lot more appreciation for your point of view. Are you a player, a coach, or a scout?

39. 13Machine8385

13Machine8385 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 2, 2014
    On NFL.com you can look at combine numbers for all of the top performances by drill over the past 10 years. Its pretty cool to see all of the different numbers players have put up through the years and how those numbers translated to a player's production in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2015&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=WR

I will say that one RB that stood out was Abdullah. He didn't have a strong 40 (who did?) but he was petty dominant in most other drills.

zwave21 likes this.
  40. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Didn't we take Fede from a small New York college last year? It would be awesome to go 2-2 by drafting Marpet