Coles, Dolphins a natural fit
41 replies
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-117/Coles--Dolphins-a-natural-fit.html
Coles, Dolphins a natural fit
February 25, 2009 5:36 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim GrahamAn NFL source informs me the New York Jets have parted ways with receiver Laveranues Coles.
The most obvious landing pad is the Miami Dolphins.
Coles is close to Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington, and I have a feeling they've already spoken on the phone.
The Jets have spent recent days and weeks clearing cap room and continued that trend Wednesday when they released wide receiver Laveranues Coles. While that move triggered immediate speculation that quarterback Chad Pennington might lobby to bring Coles to Miami, Lombardi said he expects the Dolphins to address their wide receiver needs in the early rounds of the draft.
:confused2:


Calm Like A Bomb!!!.....:freestyle:
Props to GISH for my avy and badges!
2012-2013 NBA CHAMPIONS MIAMI HEAT!!!
It only makes sense. They need to sign him immediately.
I'm not sure Coles is the type of WR this team needs. We need a big target WR. Coles is exactly like the 3 guys we have (Camarillo, Bess and Ginn), only older.

It does make alot of sense. Maybe a 2 or 3 year deal. However I doubt Penington is the starter in Miami for more than 2 more years


"pigskinguy wrote:
I'm not sure Coles is the type of WR this team needs. We need a big target WR. Coles is exactly like the 3 guys we have (Camarillo, Bess and Ginn), only older.
I agree to a certain extent however we do need a guy that can come in and help these young WR's. We don't have anyone who can really help them and hopefully Brandon London can get better and he would be great to have in the game. Also we can still draft a guy like Nicks or Britt in the draft. Nothing wrong with having 5 good WR's


No thanks! He is a good Wr but Miami already has good Wr's who are a lot younger.
Unless of course he wants a low salary but I'd rather see them draft a potential STUD...
http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif
Fellas, it's inevitable. Coles will be a Dolphin. Lock it up.
"pigskinguy wrote:
I'm not sure Coles is the type of WR this team needs. We need a big target WR. Coles is exactly like the 3 guys we have (Camarillo, Bess and Ginn), only older.
He may be like those guys already but he's proven, which they aren't (yet).
"Ozzy wrote:
No thanks! He is a good Wr but Miami already has good Wr's who are a lot younger.
Unless of course he wants a low salary but I'd rather see them draft a potential STUD...
Gotta disagree Ozzy...Coles is a polished #1 Wr, we don't have one, anytime you can pick up a starter for only money, especially after being dissed by their fmr team, and still fairly young, it's a good move.
Maybe in 2009, CP can throw the winning TD to LC for the AFC East Title in New York or where ever the JEST play:up:
I'd expect Pennington to campaign heavily for him. I'll sign up for it though. He's not that young anymore but he can still play, and we need some experience at the position.
"Rocky Raccoon wrote:
I'd expect Pennington to campaign heavily for him. I'll sign up for it though. He's not that young anymore but he can still play, and we need some experience at the position.
LC is head and shoulders better than anything we have right now.:up:
"pigskinguy wrote:
I'm not sure Coles is the type of WR this team needs. We need a big target WR. Coles is exactly like the 3 guys we have (Camarillo, Bess and Ginn), only older.
When I was in high school a LOOOOOONG time ago they had this test where, one is unlike the others.
One of the guys I bolded is UNLIKE the others :lol: So there is no way Coles is like all 3.
1100 yards with Pennington in 2006. not bad.
He is a bit small but who cares, production is production if he comes at a decent price.
If signing Coles is going to stop us from drafting a WR on day one, then I'd rather not.

Kanye West wrote:
I treat the cash like the government treats AIDS - I won't be satisfied till all my people get it.... GET IT?
Hes older , slower and a crybaby. Oh and he gets hurt alot. Unless he comes here VERY cheap, no thanks. And when has Coles been known to come cheap? We need to get a BIG (tall) receiver to help Penny out. The baltimore game pretty much proved that. Like some have already said, we have our share of small WRs in Ginn, Bess and Cammy. Unless of course Parcells and Co. are impressed with the development of London.
with all that said. The ink is prolly drying on the contract as I type this.....
I really, really don't want Coles on this team especially if it means we won't be drafting a WR with one of our first two picks...
We already have T. Ginn, D. Bess, Greg Caramillio add Coles and someone is going to lose playing time. I would much rather draft say Kenny Britt or Hakeem Nicks and use them this year. That being said if we bring Coles in this year we could move Caramillio to number 2 and put Bess in as the slot, but what do we do with Ginn?
Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!
What if releasing Coles was a tactic to keep us from going after other FA receivers that the jets could be interested in?


Let me ask you all...
Is he worth $20 Million for 3 years?
He just walked away from a gaurenteed $6 Million for next season. He wants a somewhat longterm deal but he's not going to take a pay cut to have it.
"TheAnswer385 wrote:
What if releasing Coles was a tactic to keep us from going after other FA receivers that the jets could be interested in?
They have their own motives. That is a gamble that no one has the balls to take against Parcells. Parcells really doesn't care about loyalty or friendship. If it is best for the team, we'll pull the trigger, but only Parcells knows our agenda.
Here is some more info if you guys are interested:
ESPN's John Clayton calls Miami a potential destination for free agent Laveranues Coles.
He's close friends with Chad Pennington and Pennington definitely will lobby for him. But whether Miami feels he's worth the trouble is another story. They can use the help, but Coles won't be an option if he wants a long-term deal.


Calm Like A Bomb!!!.....:freestyle:
Props to GISH for my avy and badges!
2012-2013 NBA CHAMPIONS MIAMI HEAT!!!
"padre31 wrote:
Gotta disagree Ozzy...Coles is a polished #1 Wr, we don't have one, anytime you can pick up a starter for only money, especially after being dissed by their fmr team, and still fairly young, it's a good move.
Sorry but the disagreement continues.
Coles may have been a pretty good #1 Wr in 2002-03 but imo he was never polished. He's had 6 average seasons and 3 seasons with over 1000 yrds. He beat the crap out of Miami and thats where a lot of people IMO get the idea of being so good I guess. Against the rest of the NFL he'd have one good game and two mediocre.
Plus his last two seasons have seen him decline and he's 31 so he's not young but surely not old.
We have to also take into account the amount of money he may want.
In no way would I overspend for him. I'd much rather take a flyer on some of the good Wr talent in the draft than Coles.
http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif
"EdSta74 wrote:
Hes older , slower and a crybaby. Oh and he gets hurt alot. Unless he comes here VERY cheap, no thanks. And when has Coles been known to come cheap? We need to get a BIG (tall) receiver to help Penny out. The baltimore game pretty much proved that. Like some have already said, we have our share of small WRs in Ginn, Bess and Cammy. Unless of course Parcells and Co. are impressed with the development of London.
with all that said. The ink is prolly drying on the contract as I type this.....
He is pretty much all of the above except I would say that he showed himself to be pretty tough thru his career. He did not start his first season but after that he started every game of the season until two seasons ago when he was forced to miss time then came back last year and played 16 again.
I'm not on the Coles wagon but won't be upset if he signed here...........for a reasonable contract of course.
http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif
Well for starters i could see it happening if he is parting ways with the jests.
Second, people on here seem to be in agreement to not overspend for him. Well i think he won't be asking for too much. And if that is the case, without question bring him in.