1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coach's Corner

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by vt_dolfan, Aug 19, 2017.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I wanted to start a thread for the football coaches that are part of this awesome site. I've recently become an assistant coach for my son's 7/8 team , coaching WRs and DBs. Let me tell you...I've been walking on cloud nine ever since. I feel like I was born to be a coach...

We run the Flexbone offense as our base offense, while also running some plays out of the wishbone. Our High School runs the Flexbone so we are kind of asked to get the kids ready for when they make the transition up..which makes sense.

Defensively we aren't constrained in the same way...so for you other coaches out there here's where I am asking for some input.

We have 36 kids on our team.. 20 eighth graders..16 seventh. I've got 7 kids who weigh over 150...heaviest at 199. Most of my kids fall in the 115 to 150 lb range...

I would say for our league we are on the small side, but we have a ton of speed. And not just straight line...we timed them in the shuttle and some of them can really move.

We face some spread offenses...but most are heavy run based.

What are some of the defenses you run? Which defenses at a youth level do you think would best take advantage of team speed..given the lack of size for a beefy line.

Our kids for the most part are pretty good tacklers...we've been training them on Pete Carols Hawk Tackle..as well as USA Footballs Heads Up.

Thanks for any ideas..inputs..etc.

2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Also ....if any of you run specific drills for what ever position...or any footwork drills you love it would be awesome if you could share. Maybe if we get some input could be a small resource ..especially for newer coaches like myself.