1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clinton Portis...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Feb 28, 2011.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    what about as a 2nd RB (Williams spot)? he is most likely getting released today, would be a low cost option, younger than RW, and in a limited enviornment, could probably stay healthy....Portis is a guy that could be a good between the tackles option....

The only reason I say no, is because if they do draft Ingram, it is kinda having the same type of back.....albeit younger....

http://twitter.com/#!/Rich_Campbell/status/42259173379014656

2. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Already a thread on this...even has a poll with it.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    just draft graig cooper in the later rounds..That boy can play football..

SICK likes this.
  4. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Told y'all it was inevitable :sidelol:

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    however, Ingram is the answer... again

6. bamadolphin

bamadolphin New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    ingram if hes not there id say get mallett but hes got issues dealing with pressure

7. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Hell yeah; give him an incentive-laden contract...if he makes millions, he'll have earned it in every sense.

If he gets released in TC, you lose NOTHING.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Mallet is not Top 15 talent at this point. I've seen draft analysts call him an UDFA even. Any pick outside of Gabbert or Newton has a much higher chance of failing. That's not to say he won't be good, it's just that had we been Division Champion with a second round exit and an older QB, picking number 29, he'd be a great pick. Honestly, if Julio Jones is there at 15, or it's possible we can get that guy, we really should make a run on him. He's a faster taller Dez Bryant sans any character or prostitution concerns.

We could pick up someone like Dion Lewis (perfect for the Wanny ball Sparano loves), Murray, Todman or really one of many really solid RB's in a later round. We can compound this with signing a vet. Some names include Joseph Addai, Ahmad Bradshaw, Clinton Portis, Mewelde Moore (I'm a fan), Pierre Thomas, and DeAngelo Williams. Intermittent, we can get Olinemen. Draft a Center in the 3rd, or plug in Richie if he grades out well with the FO. Sign a Guard and plug in Garner or Jerry depending on who wins the battle. I'd say retain McQuistan and Laydown Murtha for depth. In a later round, I'd also suggest drafting Edmund Gates. This kid was LIGHTS OUT at the combine.

EDIT: I just realized I very nearly described the Patriots unintentionally. Even down to the pick. (They're 28).

Hurricane likes this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, keep in mind as well Marion Barber is likely to be released as well so would you rather have 1k carries Barber who is 28, or 2k plus carries Portis who is 30?

10. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

Even I think taking Mallett in the top 25 picks would be reaching :unsure:

CaribPhin likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The way Barber runs, 1 Barber run = 2 Portis runs.

CaribPhin likes this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Marion the Barbarian may be exactly like Portis at this point. Unless he pulls a Marshawn Lynch, he might be done. He got bruised up in Dallas. I'm not too sure he'd be as effective getting those tough yards anymore. I didn't really watch much Cowboys football so I don't know enough to make a call either way though.

EDIT:

Exactly what I was thinking.

13. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I'd much rather have Marion The Barbarian, and it's not even close. If he's released, I sure as hell hope this FO considers him.

BTW...Portis was released today. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6167649

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

One thing about Marion I'm unsure about is he was healthy but unused in Dallas. Portis was used when healthy and was not bad. LT was the same way. With a solid line in NY, he was much better. I think a change of scenery may apply more toward a RB than a QB.

15. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Portis can't run very effectively anymore. His value right now is as a pass protector, so I would expect him to go to a team that would use him in that role primarily.