1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chrowder in pads!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyBobby, Sep 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    uhoh sanchize

Skeet84, HULKFish and RickyBobby like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Half of me doesn't really want Crowder back, so hopefully they're not planning to start him immediately this week.

Bpk, gunn34 and Agua like this.
  4. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i think we're better without him. i've seen him miss way too many tackles.

Bpk, gunn34 and Agua like this.
  5. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Awwwww Sh*t!

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Cant hurt on a rotational basis...to help keep Dobbins fresh...

Bpk likes this.
  7. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I think we have to be excited about this. Dobbins hasnt shown any great promise, Carpenter has been getting more time. Chrowder looked great in the limited action he saw. I think he could break out this year.

8. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    oh boy

Bpk likes this.
  9. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    he wants in on the wolf action....

10. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Know some aren't high on him but good news in my opinion, would love to see him running around with Dansby out there. At the very least we'd have more depth at ILB now when he's able to play again.

11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Just when things are going well back comes that talentless hack.

12. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Halleluyah!! The prodigal tackling and turnover machine returns! About time. Now maybe the Defense will improve and show they can stop teams scoring. :wink2:

Agua likes this.
  13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Actually Crowder coming back means a shuffling, Carpenter has played really well, Dobbins not so much, do they carry 4 ILB's?

14. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Crowder knows if he doesn't put up something he's gonna lose his job... We'll see, I hope he steps up.

Bpk likes this.
  15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Im actually expecting great things out of Channing. I think hes highly under rated and in tandem with Karlos Dansby I think they make one heck of an inside linebacking core.

Channing brings some intangibles that people dont give him credit for. He's high energy, plays with a passion, and keeps the guys loose. He is also a force in the running game, and I dont care what anyone thinks....the Jets are a good running team.

SeanP, ChrisKo, Califin and 3 others like this.
  16. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I am no great fan of Crowder's but I see this as a positive. This is a good problem, then again I don't see 4 Ilb's being a problem.

Bpk likes this.
  17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, tell me about it

SeanP, eric, The Aqua Crush and 6 others like this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not happy to say it, but Crowder is probably faster than Dobbins is, it remains to be seen if Channing is 100% though because if he is that would be upgrade while Dobbins ankle heals.

19. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    In reality they will probably bring him along slowly. I sure don't think he's going to start Sunday and if he plays it would be pretty limited I would think.

20. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    who cares if he's faster if he's over aggressive and misses tackles. maybe if he slowed down and focused he wouldn't miss so many tackles. i wish they kept stats for missed tackles, but i know what i've seen. i hope he earns his job back and we see something different out of him. who knows, if jason allen can change, maybe channing can to.

Agua likes this.
  21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Padre, I think so, they've carried 4 so far all year with Crowder not being active. I think ideally you'd have Dansby and Crowder start, along with Wake and Misi. You have Carpenter fill that pass-coverage role (what they originally drafted A.J. Edds for. He and Q (or IAF when he's ready) will rotate in as necessary. Then you have Dobbins and Walden as strictly special-teams guys. I'd imagine that whoever that 3rd SOLB is each week is probably deactivated, as has been the case with IAF.

Your LB Depth Chart looks like this. * - deactivated on gamedays.

WOLB - Wake, Walden (think he's listed at ILB on the site, but this is where I've seen him play).
    WILB - Dansby, Carpenter
    SILB - Crowder, Dobbins
    SOLB - Misi, Moses, Alama-Francis*

Now you're able to bring 8 LBs to the game, which probably means someone like Lionel Dotson, who didn't see time anyway, gets deactivated on gamedays. Plus, I think you can make Moses and IAF interchangeable on who is deactivated based on who you matchup against (and IAF being fully recoverd from the stomach virus).

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well Ronin4, it is possible that IAF or Walden could be roster trouble unless they really believe in IAF as Walden is the known quantity and they see better upside in Ikaika, or at least better edge holding.

So basically they would trade Walden's ST role for Ike's Run Stuffing role and live with Ikaika's ST shortcomings.

Carpenter played some OLB v Minny.

23. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I'm expecting great things from Crowder too but hell that was four years ago :wink2:
    Crowder has a big motor and that is the extent of it. He does everything else poorly and now we have seen what a real playmaking ILB can do. Makes Channing pale in comparison. I will give Crowder a little cred. He did look better in the one qtr of football in the preseason :lol:
    The guy is a waste of a roster spot to me. One of the few mistakes the regime has made is keeping him around.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bro, old man Favre ran away from Dobbins, and if one did not notice AP did go off for 145 yds on the ground, so something on the Run D is not working as it should..

25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Dobbins has missed just as many tackles against the Vikings. He was pretty bad against the run.

RickyNeverInhaled and Bpk like this.
  26. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Could be. But I don't think it's necessary to get rid of one of them if you don't have to. I only noticed Carpenter in that OLB looking set when miami went 4-2-5, with a front of Wake, Starks, Langford, and Misi/Moses with Dansby and Carpenter as true LBs. Moses, IMO, held his own against the run and in his limited pass-rush opportunities. I don't think I ever want to see him in pass coverage again, and I haven't seen enough of IAF to know if he'd fare any better in coverage.

For now, I think they'll keep 9 LBs total since there's really no forseeable upgrade that they can make IMO. I know you've been pining for Adalius Thomas, but truth be told, I really don't see a need for him at this point. Maybe if there were an injury, but I'm fine with the rotation of Wake, Misi, and Moses at OLB. From what I remember Thomas was pretty putrid in New England, and if there's any coach that gets the most out of players, it's Belicheck.

But who knows with this FO...

27. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    I've seen the guy make a grand total of 2 plays in 4 years: the 2008 stop of LT at the goal line on 4th & 1, and the int of Brady last year to seal the game. Other than that, he's taking bad angles to miss tackles or chasing rbs from behind, making the tackle 3-7 yards down field.

RickyNeverInhaled and gunn34 like this.
  28. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I feel the same. :knucks:
    He's always chasing after people.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    no way Pod...even the play last week where Dobbins stormed the backfield and caught AP's leg was more explosiveness than I have ever seen out of crowder, even though AP didnt go down, it was impressive to me from an athletic standpoint {any other player in the NFL would of been down for a 3 yard loss in the backfield}...and after the play I saw carpenter make to win the game, I thought to myself, could crowder of made that play?..Idk what to think right now Pod?...iam not a crowder fan....and I just dont trust his strength at this point with all the offseason rehabilitation. and preseason injury....defensive players need to squat..they need their glutes and legs to be involved, iam not sure crowder has that right now...however, he did flash in preseason...

Paul 13, Bpk and gunn34 like this.
  30. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    IMO Pad, thats is as much about AP being an elite back behind a solid O-Line in front of him as it is to any issues on Dolphins D. Not to mention the time the D was on the field as he got most of his yardage in the second half IIRC.

Just sayin'.

djphinfan likes this.
  31. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dansby already does all of the above, but much better, AND he can blitz AND he can cover.

What we need beside him isn't another guy who can keep people loose, it's a mix of Carpenter's mobility and Dobbins aggressive physicality, depending on whether it's a run down or passing down.

32. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    -Not on my Defense does a missed tackle in the backfield mean anything Deej.

-For whatever reason, when Crowder is out of the game opponents just seem to have big games on the ground, someone up in Club (VO?) and there was a Difference.

33. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree for the most part. But he's better than what we have on the roster right now, and you can't underestimate the way other players on defense are able to feed off of his energy and elevate their games. If it wasn't for intangibles I think Crowder would've been cut by now.

djphinfan likes this.
  34. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I hope Crowder is back. Every time Dobbins drops into coverage we lose. And even in run support he's only been okay. He's made some plays, he was the third guy there on that 4 and 1 stop of AP at the goal line. But he's also given up some. Sure, he was aggressive on that play against AP, but he still missed the tackle and the result was a 23 yard run. He also missed the sack on Favre which resulted in that long pass to Shiancoe. This is consistent with what we should expect from him. The reality is Dobbins was credited with more missed tackles than Crowder has the past couple of years. I don't have access to PFF anymore, but they do track missed tackles and that's what I remember seeing. And its not like he's been a tackle machine for us so far. IIRC he was credited 0 tackles against the Bills and had like 2 tackles and 1 assist against Minny. I like Dobbins, but he's arguably been the weakest part of our defense thus far.

35. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

People are forgetting that Crowder outplayed Dobbins in practice and preseason. The last two people who won the job on ability are Joe Berger and Jason Allen. Think about it.

Steve-Mo and DePhinistr8 like this.
  36. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    crowder looked good in preseason, tackles for loss, moving around.....glad to see him back

Pandarilla likes this.
  37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    OK, lets see what he can do in this defense. its his last shot to flash whatever it is he can flash, haven't seen it so far, and that has always been my biggest problem with him..lack of strength and athleticism...other than that, Iam fine with him.

38. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    This. In the "2nd fiddle" role, I think he can be very successful.

SICK and DePhinistr8 like this.
  39. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I agree. This D seems to fit Jason Allen well, and Bobby Carpenter has been surprisingly physical and efficient as well. Maybe Channing can be rejuvenated in this D as well.

40. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Crowder > Dobbins.

Thank god he's back.