1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christianity is actually a story of mushrooms and astrology

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The Pharmacratic Inquisition

I watched this video a couple of days ago I found it very interesting. I have listened to some Terrance McKenna who had the theory that it was psychedlic mushrooms that were a cause for the expansion of the human brain. So this video takes it a step further.

I thought it was very interesting.

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

For me the words insulting and demeaning come to mind more than "provacative" but to each his own.

Themole and finyank13 like this.
  3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I honor your choice to be insulted

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    mckenna at first glance seems like a nut job lol

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A tragedy really.

Eh, have all the soma one would like...watch out for the fly algaric though..

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    You and I have a different definition of tragedy.

Never done mushrooms myself.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    "tragedy"..a noble figure destroyed by their own internal flaws..

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Aw, Greeks loved those.

I do not see what it has to do with this subject though

9. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Wow...this looks like as much of a slap as if people would say that Witches worship the dev....oh wait, nevermind.

10. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    well as the saying goes man, witchin ain't easy.

MikeHoncho, SICK, Pagan and 2 others like this.
  11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    :sidelol:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

So I guess one missed the Walpergisnacht festivities?

:wink2:

Actually, this could prove to be a good topic for discussion if participants did not go out of their way to go over the top.

13. Ohiophinphan

Which in the past, in this forum, I have also described as "insulting and demeaning"

Fin D and Pagan like this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, the topic, Pharmacology in Religion, is a good one to chat about as the history itself is fascinating, however to approach it with an ax to grind will just lead to more back and forth and not actual informational/viewpoint sharing.

15. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    I wasn't aiming that at you, bro. It wasn't aimed at anyone in general...more just to show that it happens to everyone.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  16. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Actually, I don't celebrate Walpurgisnacht...but I'm failing to see how that relates to being misguidely linked to the devil.

And what would be a good topic, the OP or this? :lol:

17. Ohiophinphan

Agreed. I didn't take it personally either. I wanted to point out, I oppose any person insulting another's faith or belittleing it. And that is not directed at Dupree either who was bringing up a piece for discussion. I looked at the piece which headlines this thread. The assumptions themselves are.... beyond my capacity to comment upon.

A discussion of pharmacology and drug use definately has a place in the discussion of history. Some kind of fungus in wheat or rye may well have played a role in the French revolution. To assume it has first place seems to me to be a simplistic reading of any history or faith.

Pagan likes this.
  18. Ohiophinphan

I didn't know Walpurgisnacht was a Pagan/Wicca festival? My maternal Grandmother was a Swede and talked about the festival when the farm animals were let back out into the pasture. She remembered it as a street fair kind of time with minimal religious overtones. Named for an English missionary saint isn't it?

That it would also have roots in an earlier "nature" festival is not surprising. Many feasts and festivals in central Europe have multiple threads of history.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Many faiths have ritualistic drug use, especially by the shamans. I do not think it is insult to insinuate that the early prophets from the old testements may have been shamans who used drugs. They were very different people.

I do think it is sad that we will never know the true origins of the modern day faiths due to the fact that anything that is "against" church doctrine would just be dismissed for various reasons.

Den54 likes this.
  20. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    It isn't a Wiccan one, more a general Pagan one...and in Europe more so than the States. I don't know of anyone here who celebrates it.

We celebrate Beltane this time of year.

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  21. Ohiophinphan

What you say is quite true though shamanism in the Middle East is not a major part of the history of their ritualistic behavior. They were more commonly sacrificial religions. Shamanism and sacrificial priests are quite different.

I can't think of anything in Judeo-Christian-Islamic history that even suggests drug use. That doesn't seem to work for Egypt or the Mesopatamian faiths either, though there is some use of "hemp" in rituals later in history. Wine and "strong drink" (i.e.beer) were the drugs of choice in those cultures. If your authors were talking about India, China, South America, or sub-Saharan Africa, they would strike me as more credible.

Certainly the Church would be skeptical as would Islam, etc. Yet scholars work within and outside the religious faith systems all the time. For example, there is significant evidence that a major contributing factor to the spread of Islam was the presence of quasi-Christian groups who had "lost" in the Christological controversies of their day. Neither group is terribly happy with that story but major scholars continue to do the work regardless.

Likewise many Judeo-Christian scholars today suggest Abraham is not one chgracter but a compilation of herioc figures. Again not a popular position among the faithful but it gets serious study.

I perfer to think issues of faith arise out of divine revelation but even if you choose not to believe that then doesn't it make sense that they arise out of a longing to explain why things are the way they are and attempts to control nature instead of arising from folks getting high?

I don't mind the quest for truth, it will lead where it leads. I find wild generalizations by groups with their own agenda to start with (The name "gnostic" in the title suggests a strong bias to start with) to not move the truth along very much and is at the root of my objections in this thread.

finyank13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I think you can make the same argument for christians.

Also to your point before it, I do not see a difference as getting high does expand's one ability to think of why things the way they are and are a way of controlling nature. Most of the human experience is about getting high. There is the high that is from a substance such as alchohol, "drugs" or certain types of food or there is the high we get from experiences, such as love, religion or even seminars.

I have been to seminars with all of the fun jumping and shouting and high fiving. The rush after I was done was amazing. It is such an amazingly high experience.

The same for those mega-churches that people go to with the singing and the dancing and the healing. All about getting that religious high. It is really no different than taking a drug since a lot of the time the same chemicals released from each of the activities.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My point is basically that "getting high" in a religious context is different than "getting high" for escape.

in the western world we get high for an escape.

24. Ohiophinphan

OK, but the folks in the original post seem to see it everywhere! That is unjustifiable from any historical observation.

If that were happening within either the major faith (here for example any of the Abrahamic faiths) or within their opponents it would be mentioned either directly or indirectly within their sacred texts. An example of that would be the treatment of the use of alcohol which is challenged in both Hebrew and Christian scriptures and banned in the Koran. There is no comparable reaction to any use of hallucinagenics (sic) in any of the three's holy writ.

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting question OhioP, smoking was of course not on anyone's horizon at that point in time in that region, the only possible references would be Elisha's stew being poisoned or Ezekiel's err.."bread" (I have to wonder if people realize what "Ezekiel's bread" was as a loaf sits in the local freezer case) the third possible episode of hallucigenic usage would be Saul and the Necromancer.

However, overall the usage would seem hindered by the fact there was not a huge selection of food items that could be psychotropic in that region as say compared to the Rainforrest in S America or Central and Western America.

The area of Babylon did have the Soma mushrooms available, however preperation was left to the priests of that kingdom, "Joe Babylon" was more of a malted beer drinker.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    not necessarily if it was hidden or written into a code within the text. If these plants were how a certain group kept their power, it is not too much out of the realm of possibility that the knowledge was lost in time. Our knowledge of history is not as exact as we like.

An example of this actually playing out is the Peruvian Whistling Vessels. They are thought of to be something of religious importance, however they stopped using them when the Spanish landed on the shores. The amazing part is the fact that none of the spaniards saw a trace of the vessels and none of their writting has any mention of them at all. The only reason we know they are important is by digging up graves and finding one burried with nearly every person they dug up.

Here was something that was of great importance to the people, however nothing was written about it.

27. Ohiophinphan

Very correct and a good example. A difference might be that while the Incas had a reason to hide things from an invader no such dynamic exists within the Abrahamic faiths. We have extra Biblical writings for both Judaism and Christianity including works by opponents and apostates. None mention drug use, likely for the reson you mentioned, lack of product.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not know if the Incas knew the fact there were going to be invaders. However the Abrahamic faiths were conquered a few times. The ancient race of the Philistines are an example of that.

29. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Well, I have taken tons and tons of psychedelic mushrooms while sitting and staring at the stars............wait.....what was this thread about again?

30. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Sounds like another Zeitgeist.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is its own thing. There is zero 9/11 conspiracy theory

32. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I have 13 times, this guy is a boob....

33. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I like boobs.

finyank13 likes this.