Chris Gamble released by the Panthers

23 replies

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum VeteranOP
Mar 8, 2013, 02:02 PM

He had a pretty hefty price tag and the Panthers are in a cap mess right now, so he had to be cut. He is 30 but still one of the better corners in the league. Personally I would rather us sign Brent Grimes. Falcons will probably resign him, but he is the one I would target "if healthy".

In his comments, Smith talked about Grimes' recovery. Hat tip to the AJC for this transcript:

Brent Grimes has been doing an outstanding job with our athletic performance department, working in the training room. He is progressing well. Again, that was a significant injury that took place in Kansas City on opening weekend. But he has not been out working outside. He’s still working in the training room, but he is progressing very well.

What he didn't confirm, of course, was whether the Falcons would re-sign Grimes. We likely won't know until March or April, so stay tuned for that.

As for Gamble, other than him also coming off an injury (shoulder) and his age, he would be worth a look at the right price.

The Panthers selected Gamble out of Ohio State with a first-round pick (No. 28 overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft. An instant starter, Gamble picked off six passes as a rookie before adding seven interceptions the following season. In nine seasons with the Panthers, Gamble had 27 interceptions, including two he returned for touchdowns, and 80 passes defensed.

Gamble missed most of the 2012 season after suffering a shoulder injury that landed him on the team's injured reserve list. The 6-foot-1, 205-pound cornerback turns 30 on Monday and was scheduled to earn $7.9 million in non-guaranteed base salary in 2013 with a cap number of $10.9 million. By releasing Gamble, the Panthers save $7.9 million in both cash and cap space and are now around $4 million under the cap. More moves from the Panthers are expected to take place before Tuesday.

Mar 8, 2013, 02:06 PM

Another to add to the pile. Big pile at that position. Now also includes Aaron Ross.

Adrian Wilson also released. Wasn't expecting that one. We have Reshad Jones so it's not a big deal but still. Gotta think we should be able to take care of this position in free agency.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 02:06 PM

Eric Wright released by the Bucs too, to throw another name out there.

Mar 8, 2013, 02:07 PM

Wonder if that means the Bucs will make a big push to re-sign E.J. Biggers. Which they should.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 02:08 PM

"CANEPHINS wrote:

He had a pretty hefty price tag and the Panthers are in a cap mess right now, so he had to be cut. He is 30 but still one of the better corners in the league. Personally I would rather us sign Brent Grimes. Falcons will probably resign him, but he is the one I would target "if healthy".

As for Gamble, other than him also coming off an injury (shoulder) and his age, he would be worth a look at the right price.

I'd want Grimes if I didn't think he was looking to absolutely break the federal reserve bank.

Still prefer Houston.

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 02:09 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Wonder if that means the Bucs will make a big push to re-sign E.J. Biggers. Which they should.

Also makes a nice match of Banks talent with the Bucs draft position.

Mar 8, 2013, 02:11 PM

"Bpk wrote:

Also makes a nice match of Banks talent with the Bucs draft position.

I hear Aqib Talib might be available...

:lol:

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 02:12 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I hear Aqib Talib might be available...

:lol:

They sign Talib. We sign Welker. And Donald Thomas. And Rob Ninkovich.

Mar 8, 2013, 02:13 PM

"Bpk wrote:

I'd want Grimes if I didn't think he was looking to absolutely break the federal reserve bank.

Still prefer Houston.

I don't think any 30 year old corner who made his career on being faster and more explosive than receivers despite being significantly smaller, can consider trying to "break the bank" coming off an Achilles tear. I would be surprised if he got more than a 1 year deal, or a longer term deal which in effect is a 1 year renewable deal. He will probably re-sign with the Falcons. Few other teams would be comfortable betting on that injury because they don't know him, and he's not going to be comfortable with them either because he knows he needs to kill it this year and he stands a better chance doing that with the team he knows.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

PHPhinfanjtNew Member
Mar 8, 2013, 02:18 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Wonder if that means the Bucs will make a big push to re-sign E.J. Biggers. Which they should.

Hopefully not. I'm hoping Miami has a chance to take a run at him, Derek Cox, Bradley Fletcher and Chris Houston. If they can sign one or two of them they can focus on other needs early in the draft

CANEPHINSCANEPHINSForum Veteran
Mar 8, 2013, 02:19 PM

Correct. He is a bargain sign right now coming off the injury. Falcons probably get the benefit of that and he stays there, but it is going to take a year for his value to rise back up to premium contract status.

Mar 8, 2013, 02:20 PM

"Phinfanjt wrote:

Hopefully not. I'm hoping Miami has a chance to take a run at him, Derek Cox, Bradley Fletcher and Chris Houston. If they can sign one or two of them they can focus on other needs early in the draft

Hah, that seems like a familiar list. ;)

But I agree. Obviously.

Also I've finally made up my mind on Keenan Lewis. He's worth the add. Pete Lalich gave me the thumbs up, so who am I to argue? LOL.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Mar 8, 2013, 02:22 PM

Market seems to be breaking in Miami's favor right now.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Mar 8, 2013, 02:44 PM

It's hard for me to not want them to come up with some sort of role for Adrian Wilson.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Mar 8, 2013, 02:49 PM

lots of cuts coming today... this is... I'm trying to think of a nickname for it... pinkslip day? grab an empty box day?... lose your parking spot day? disrespect a veteran day? Non Veterans Day?

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

ToddPhinToddPhinLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 02:58 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Hah, that seems like a familiar list. ;)

But I agree. Obviously.

Also I've finally made up my mind on Keenan Lewis. He's worth the add. Pete Lalich gave me the thumbs up, so who am I to argue? LOL.

and he's from Pitt so we know he's trained well.

SHShamboubouNew Member
Mar 8, 2013, 03:22 PM

This offseason is going to be more about talent evaluation than we have seen in a very long time. FA is usually slim picking. There are a lot of fish in the sea this year, lets hope we can hook a couple trophy wall-mount worthy whoppers.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

Mar 8, 2013, 03:36 PM

This is great for Miami. Not so great for Sean Smith (with the glut). Which is fine by me.

But, if we can land 1 top tier guy and a mid-level of those that are out there - that would really give more flexibility in the draft.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Mar 8, 2013, 04:04 PM

James Harrison looks to be next... the comments under the PFT story are priceless... I would hate to be the guy that has to break the news to him.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Starry31Starry31Forum Veteran
Mar 8, 2013, 04:39 PM

lots of cuts coming today... this is... I'm trying to think of a nickname for it... pinkslip day? grab an empty box day?... lose your parking spot day? disrespect a veteran day? Non Veterans Day?

Clean out your locker day?

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Mar 8, 2013, 04:45 PM

"Starry31 wrote:

Clean out your locker day?

you can't cut it so we cut you day?

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

unifiedtheoryunifiedtheoryLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 04:46 PM

Good luck Sean Smith.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Mar 8, 2013, 07:52 PM

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Mar 11, 2013, 11:44 AM

Scratch him off the list.

JosinaAnderson: Agent Carl Poston just told me that Chris Gamble informed him last night that he wants to retire.