1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphindebby, Dec 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    When Finheaven gets back up, will we still have the chat room? I hope so, it's really fun and full of information. What do you think? :thumbup:

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The chat was around before Finheaven went down, so it's a safe bet it'll still be around.

3. Swampfox

Swampfox Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    Will non VIP be able to use it though. I hope so :confused1:

4. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There's no reason they won't. The chat has its own server and has no VIP restrictions. I don't see why it'll be locked up after Finheaven comes back online.

5. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    It could easily have restrictions making it a VIP only perk. Please do not speak for Admins.
    The chat that was around before FH went down was VIP only.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I didn't intend to speak for anyone--I'm only offering my opinion. I don't think anyone construed what I said as representing anything official.

All I said was that I personally don't see why it would go back to being VIP only, and wouldn't put money on that decision being made.

7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I really don't think he intended to "speak for Admins"..

8. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I really hope there's a way us non-vips can get on it. I just can't do the vip thing, wish I could. It's so much fun I just hope something can happen so we can all enjoy it. Thanks celtkin, for all you do for us. :hi5:

9. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    This chat is on one of my servers (dedicated) and I am currently paying for the hosting costs. I haven't really given it much thought as to how I want things to work once FH is back up. My goal when I set up the site (Phinchat.com) was to give our temporarily homeless members a place to meet and talk.

I am definitely going to keep the site (PhinChat.com) but laying money on it being open to the general public is not a good bet since Flash sites are extremely bandwidth intensive and hosting cost not cheap.

The first chat site (the one that was operating before FH went down) was VIP only and was hosted on a server that refuses to host that site any longer. After that site was pulled, I stared PhinChat.com and brought down two shared hosts on two consecutive game days. I have since moved to a dedicated host and, to keep cost manageable and performance reasonable, have had to limit the site to 50 people on at a time,

10. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    I think it is great myself. I did kid that it needed a IQ test to enter.....:glare:

I am poor myself. I'm disabled and I make about $600 a month but I'm willing to help however I can. I do not go out much and I'd rather spend my money to help us all talk Dolphins football.

I went and got Direct TV and the Football package just so I can see all the games. Considering the cost of that (while having to keep local cable) I have no problem sending a few dollars a month to FH.

I was at Scout.com which cost more then here, and no one is EVER in the chat room.

11. FINintheMOON

FINintheMOON Moderator Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Catharpin, Va
    Mal... You know that I am willing to support... IF you chose to only host the chat once FINHEAVEN comes back up, I will continue to contribute to the cause...

I actually think that the Chat room would be best seperated from the main forum anyway... Let me know what you think bro!!!

12. dolphindebby

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I know where you're coming from lug. My husband is disabled also and we can't do anything, money wise.

13. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    I agree Ken. It was always my intention to host the site on a different server as was the FH forums. I will also maintain this site as a backup to serve in cases of temporary outages at FH. With no hits on the site, I have no extra costs because I prepaid for 2 years hosting a while back. With the added bandwidth of hosting the temp forums, I got hit with excess bandwidth charges (which you were kind enough to help me with). While FH is up, I intend to redirect traffic from here to the forums. The more redundancy we have, the better off we will be.

For right now, I am good for the next month for PhinChat (already paid for). After that, we will figure something out.

As always, you rock, bro.