1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Davies critically injured in fatal car crash this morning

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by texasPHINSfan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    [​IMG]

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-Blocked-in-GW-Parkway-Accident-64073357.html

very sad thing indeed. davies is in critical but stable condition, apparently requiring 5 hours of surgery to keep him up & running. i loved davies, hope he can recover to play. as of now, USMNT officials have said that his injury is "possibly" career-threatening. this would be severely damaging to the USMNT hopes. He was arguably our best striker on the nat team, and had a long promising career ahead of him.

condolensces out to the family of the girl that didn't make it.

EDIT: don't know why the picture doesn't show up, it showed up individually on the soccer forums. :shrug:

RAS25 likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Damn. That's sad, I hope he gets better and continues playing. I enjoy watching him out on the pitch. Great energy and good finisher.

texasPHINSfan and RAS25 like this.
  3. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    updated information we have:

* davies was in back seat behind driver, wearing his seatbelt.
    * ashley was in front passenger seat.
    * 3rd party was driving, still unnamed
    * davies was out way past team curfew
    * davies had a minor injury and was not scheduled to start tonight
    * typical recovery period from these types of injuries is 8-12 months, but that is just recovery.... does not guarantee person will get back to 100% of what they were.

here's to hoping davies is able to return to his skill level. he most likely is out of the 2010 World Cup, but hopefully he can resume his career at Sochaux and return to US Nats in 2014

RAS25 and alen1 like this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    in the 9th minute of the USA/Costa Rica WCQ match, the entire crowd held up a celebration for Davies.

[​IMG]

and Altidore had his own tribute.
    [​IMG]

did anyone bother watching the match? i won't bother with a summary or my thoughts on it unless there are actual other USMNT fans in here. ;)

RAS25 likes this.
  5. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i watched the match. it was awesome. i could only imagine honduran fans reactions.

i hope charlie gets well and my thoughts go out to the familys of the other 2 in the vehicle.

he was definitley missed last night

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  6. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    oh also does anyone know the injury update on gooch?

7. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    torn patella tendon, likely out 3-4 months. given his conditioning & fitness, he should be ready to return in time for the WC2010.

the irony is, AC Milan's CEO is such a pansy, he's demanding the US pay him for the injury.... nevermind the fact that AC Milan paid nothing for Onyewu (no transfer fee or buyout). The only thing they paid him is what was on the contract. what makes it even worse is Onyewu wasn't even a starter there anyway.

injuries happen, Milan. deal with it.

EDIT: oh and grant wahl said honduras went NUTS when we tied it in the final seconds. they apparently were storming their streets waving honduran & american flags. their interim president declared it a national holiday, and gave very public recognition to the US for helping them. Us tying CR in the final minute sent Honduras to the world cup for the first time since 1982. saying bornstein is anything less than a hero in honduras right now is nothing short of an understatement. :D

RAS25 likes this.
  8. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    cool man, thanks for the info. good (i guess) news on onyewu. we will need him next yr for sure. i wonder who is gonna fill davies shoes? i have no faith in connor casey and i will scream if i see ching in the starting 11 again. kenny cooper has looked the best for me. i would also cosider putting dempsey up top as i feel in this system thats where he does the most damage and move holden or rogers in his spot in the midfield.

9. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    that is a very good question, and your speculations are the same that everyone is wondering.

i like dempsey, and he adds firepower. maybe slide him up top? that has been talked about by other fans i've seen. Torres has shown flashes when he's in, he can replace a mid to free-up dempsey for the slide up. Cooper seems to be a fan fav, but hasn't done much lately. Casey did well in the Honduras game but was invisible (except when he didn't finish) in the CR game. Casey doesn't have enough time playing on the international level. maybe he'll get better with more time?

but yes, striker is something we really lack.... so losing davies was a huge blow. huge.

dammit davies!

RAS25 likes this.
  10. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    u seem to have alot of info :up: do you know if they are planning on getting jermaine jones involved anytime soon? i think he could be a bigtime addition for us.

11. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i'm just a huge fan that reads multiple sites & forums. :)

i haven't heard jermaine's name much at all, outside of random speculation from people. I would think if he's on bradley's radar, bradley hasn't let that on much. given that he's "switching sides", i don't know how bradley will try to introduce him - our defensive midfield has actually been pretty good of late, so who would he replace? Only Feilhaber i would think, as everyone else in our rotation has been playing pretty well. So does bradley put jones in and risk messing up the chemistry? will jones perform on a high level on the national stage? i like jones, but he'd have to compete for rotation in an already-crowded mid backfield, and if you'll remember he wasn't too impressive playing for Germany on their NAT team (where he was only in on friendlies), which i personally think is the reason he switched.... but who knows? i think bradley would be stupid to not at least try to bring him out and see how he does. i would at least like to see him in on the rotation, but since he's played in germany and the bundesliga his entire career, i have no idea how he'd stack up with our guys. i'm with you - i say bring him out and let's see! there's also demarcus beasley who might see rotation at mid, although again, it's an area we have serious solid depth at, so where do these guys go?

what we need help with pretty bad is forward.... and many are asking about adu. in fact i'm rather sick of all the adu talk. i don't think adu can help us, and i think that is a classic case of him being overhyped as a youngster and not delivering. i don't think even adu himself knows what he is capable of at this point. i never bought into the hype. i thought it was amazing that he could play at the MLS level at such a young age, but he was never truly "great"..... i mean he had 11 goals in 3 years with DC United as a striker! playing 87 games! If Nate Jaqua can score 8 goals in a year with the Sounders FC, how can Adu only hit 11 in 3 years? (hint: jaqua sucks).

i'm really very curious what we will do for striker. we might be better off moving an attacking mid (CAM) to striker to test out those waters. i like trying dempsey at striker. he's a better shot-taker than passing guy anyway, and he is one of the best headers on the NAT team.... him and altidore up top would be a decent trial i think. ideally we'd have a proper striker, but until then...

the good news is we play some friendlies between now and when the WC starts, starting with Denmark first real soon. If Bradley was smart, he'd experiment at forward with multiple guys he hasn't used before - to test their abilities on an international stage and give them some experience for next year. use subs frequent & often! bring in guys that haven't had much (or any) other playing time.

something else we need other than striker is solid leadership.

bocanegra is doing a decent job as captain, but he's also 36 and on a decline. Who will take over? Donovan is top-talent, but i don't think he has that leadership quality - he's just a great player. dempsey is the same - great skillset, but not vocal or much in the way of taking a leading role or charge.

RAS25 likes this.
  12. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    ya we need to see what jemaine has some how. i am really supresed they didnt try and get him in the gold cup. we need to see if he can be a player for us.

i hate the adu talk also. the only think i think he brings that we need is his speed now that davies is gone, but otherwise he is a liability.

i really think dempsey is the solution up top. he gets alot of his goals in that role when we move him higher in the 2nd halfs when we pull off a striker. we need to get cooper in there and see what he brings, i do not want to see ching or casey in there again.

and ya we do need that leader. i would like to see michael bradley step up as when he seems to be on form the team plays so much better, but to me he just doesnt seem like that kind of guy. i really like our young guys i think we got a good amount of young talent we do just need to find that striker for now and it would make me feel so much better.

13. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA

coincidental timing, jones was just "activated" officially:
    http://www.prostamerika.com/sounder...r-with-international-experience/#comment-6543

i would like to see what cooper can do as well, and i'm with you on ching. casey? well, i'd want to give him more chances i guess. he was great against honduras, but pretty invisible (save for his one huge miss) against CR. Remember, if he hadn't scored when he did in Honduras, we might not have gone to the WC, and definitely wouldn't have won our conference. (i say that only because i think winning at honduras took some pressure off and let us play looser. we tend to play better when there is less pressure, it seems. had we lost in honduras, that means we would have had to win versus CR. Given that pressure, who knows?

anyway my verdict on casey is still out. i think he's a great player, but i think he just needs more time in international competition. the question is, where does he get that from? I don't want to continue experimenting when it comes to actual WC games. maybe start him in the friendly against denmark and get him some experience? i don't know.

ching - i'm right there with you. he's had his time, he's done stuff for us in the past, but he's not what he once was. we can do better. plus did you see the red card ching got against becks last weekend? you can't lose your cool like that, big-time mistake from a veteran.

i agree, bradley would be a good idea for a leader (like donovan). but like donovan, i don't think he has that charisma or leadership abilities. kasey keller had those. carlos bocanegra has those. i don't think bradley does, but i also don't know him so i can't say either way. i'd really like to have a midfielder wear the captain band, if we could find a good leader. hey, maybe jermaine will step into that role! :D

so i'll be following the rest of qualifying and the friendlies in WC competition... and the under-17's start this week too, i think. maybe we should make a separate thread for USMNT talk, lol. maybe more than two people will join the discussion. :lol:

side note: i notice you live in LA. are you a galaxy fan? goats fan? i might be coming down there in a few weeks for the playoff match between the sounders and LA (if they draw LA in the playoffs - i'm a sounders fan). Maybe we'll grab some pints?

RAS25 likes this.
  14. RAS25

RAS25 Junior Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    ya maybe casey deserves more of a chance than im giving him. maybe he just reminds me of ching too much. i just dont see that spark that can make him special. i have seen more of that from cooper but thats what makes the loss of davies huge. when i saw davies in the olympics i knew he was gonna be a good player for us. he will be missed and i obviously hope he gets healthy first. im sure its just me being a big fan of him and although i havent seen much of him lately i just cant help but wonder how much mcbride has left in the tank. im sure im just overreacting but i think this davies loss will be HUGE. he gives us a guy with pace upfront thats hard to handle and we have noone else with that so i would love to have a reliable finisher and i just dont know who that will be.

i like the galaxy not nessicarily a "fan". soccer is weird for me, i dont really have any one team. i follow the EPL the most closely and the MLS also but i really just love to watch as many games as i can and im more a fan of players than teams(besides the USMNT of course).

and ya that would be great! i have thought about going to that game myself.

15. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think losing davies is very huge - he was our fastest guy and at the moment he was one of our best finishers. mcbride? lol, well i love that guy, but he's past his prime. he'd only be good for leadership at this point (which we still need), but i don't think he'd keep pace with the guys he'd be facing in NAT duty. ;)

interesting attitudes you have on soccer. not bad, just interesting. being a fan of the sport myself, i was grasping at straws to find anything to root for in this country, and am happy we at least have MLS. EPL play is obviously far superior, but we don't get EPL on tv here, unless you get that special programming package, and even then they don't play all of them. I watch what i can, when i can. MLS is far easier to follow here, although they don't have much as far as games on TV either - i think their contract with ESPN is one match per week? maybe two? pretty lame, regardless. we need more on tv.

of course, being that you have a local team, that means every match will be on tv. that's why i'm so thankful for the sounders. prior to this year (i.e. pre-sounders), the only soccer on tv was world cup qualifiers and the once-a-week MLS game. Now we get a fair amount more coverage.

I think more big-name players need to come here for soccer to become more popular. More guys like Beckham, Ljungberg, and apparently Henry might be heading here soon. This is good and should help draw more people.

You also have a HUGE contingent of people, like yourself, who follow other european leagues pretty well but not so much MLS. I think getting some players from those euro leagues over here will help change that, but first we need to raise that salary cap to attract those players. rumor is $4M next year, and a 2nd DP slot. i can only hope!