1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charles Harris is really stinking it up...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hitman8, Aug 28, 2017.

1. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    You realize that your lies can be easily proven by looking at past posts, right? lol

brandon27 and Fin D like this.
  2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Do you not know the definition of disparaging?

And did you really write Mario Williams and Jason Jones????? How are they doing this year?

Oh..wait...they aren't even playing. And Mitchell and hayes look the same

resnor and Fin D like this.
  3. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    You seem to want to cherry pick posts. Look at all the posts I made regarding the timmons signing. I said I felt it was a stop gap measure and would be a dissapointment in that he would only be good for about one season. That still holds true and nothing that has happened so far proves me wrong in that assesment.

Try again dan I know you like to go against everything I say but try to chill out. We can talk about timmons next season and see if I'm wrong or not.

4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I’m late to this party, and I hope people don’t mind too much rehashing old ground.

What PFF do is they put a number againt their opinion of the process of a QB’s performance.
    The passer rating (which I have becom increasingly fond of over the least few years after doing my own statistical analysis using it and other measures) measures actual outcomes.

Now over a big enough sample things should even out. Tipped passes becoming INTs, dropped INTs, dropped passes, quality of opposition, WRs making big plays. About the only variables that won’t even out over time will be the quality of your own teammates, and even then younhave to be exceptionally good or exceptionally bad to move a QB’s statistical output.

Part of the discrepancy also is PFF also including non passer elements in their ratings, such as rushing and escaping sacks.

So while random variables and non passing elements will affect the difference between passer rating and PFFs ratings, especially for one game or a small sample of games, you should be reasonably able to compare passer rating and PFF rating overba whole season or several seasons.

Now I prefer to use team passer rating rather than individual passer ratings because that gives stronger correlation. I believe that setting thresholds for number of oasses truncates the data and reduces correlations because losses by bad QBs who get benched or backups forced into duty get thrown out.
    Having said that what cbrad showed is that the PFF rating isn’t doing as good a job as the creaky old passer rating is at at predicting winners.

If PFF is being done properly it should be superior to passer rating, since it measures more things which, they say, are better at evaluating what a QB did to help his team win.
    You then have to ask the question why it isn’t so. My suggestions would be
    a) Halo effect. The raters are human and know the reputations of the QBs. Leading to same plays by different QBs being rated differently.
    b) insufficient analysis. Maybe their models have non optimal assumptions built into them.
    c) volume. As I understand it PFF’s rating will reward a player who throws more passes than a player who throws fewer even if their efficiency is the same. From what I have seen and read efficiency is the king when it comes to passing, not volume.
    d) over complex models. Complex models which take a lot of variables into account seem more predictive, but modelling science shows that there is an optimum number of variables for any model, and generally speaking it is a small number. Basically if you worry about the important stuff, the small stuff will even itself out.

danmarino and resnor like this.
  5. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    It’s carroo all I’ve again. At least I think I remember it was carroo :lol:

Harris has shown a ton of ability and potential to be a good if not great dDE. If some haven’t seen that by now, I’m not sure they’re looking beyond the stat sheets. He’s a rookie. Give him time. Now whether he fills that potential or not is to be determined still. Or, at least it should be

cuchulainn, danmarino and Fin D like this.