1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charles Harris is really stinking it up...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hitman8, Aug 28, 2017.

1. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    He has no sacks in the preaseason, only a couple of pressures and he has shown himself to be a major liability against the run. He gets pushed around against the run and although he is quick he is not very fast which is why he always comes up short in pursuit.

I don't know why we spent a 1st round pick on such a flawed player when we could have traded down for more picks or picked up a starting OG like Lamp or Dawkins.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Dude, way too early

3. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Lol@ this thread.

4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Can't wait to bump this thread when Harris is getting double digit sacks.

Dude is a rookie. He's learning. How about we give him some time before talking about other players we could have drafted? Jesus.

5. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I agree that if he can't get it done to a substantial degree now, even though he may need some work, he may not have been worth a first round pick, because those are supposed to be able to contribute immediately. Mind you, it's still preseason.

I would have loved to see someone like Lamp or Dawkins drafted, but not at the expense of not addressing the need for an outside pass rusher who is decent against the run. But if Harris has not addressed that need, the second guessing will start and will be hard to argue against.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  6. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Lamp tore his ACL, so there goes that.

7. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Stop comparing him to TJ Watt and you'll be fine

[Edited thanks to DirtyLandry]

mcdave21 and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  8. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    JJ or AJ? or TJ?

Bpk likes this.
  9. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I admit that he is not looking so hot; however, Hayes has looked outstanding. I think Harris sees limited action this year. At this point he's probably the fifth best pass rusher on the team.

10. Bpk

oops. TJ!

11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Daaaaaaaaamn....That sucks

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Early? Come on, he already called this guy a bust the day he was drafted.

Tin Indian, resnor and danmarino like this.
  13. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    Good thing the Chargers doubled up with Dan Feeney in round 3. Tough break for them.

As for Charles Harris. It's preseason of his rookie year. Slow down.

14. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I didn't say he would be a complete bust, just not worth a first round pick. We could have traded down, picked up dion dawkins in the second along with Jordan Willis in the second or third.

Jordan Willis has 3 sacks and has also been great against the run through 3 preseason games. Compare that to harris 0 sacks and terrible play against the run. Willis is the guy I wanted badly. Dawkins is right now projected to start at left tackle as a rookie while harris is projected as nothing more than a situational pass rusher at this point. Dawkins would have filled our big hole at LG next to Tunsil and provided quality backup at LT which we don't have.

The only real bright spot from this whole draft has been godchaux. This is the reason why we can never get over ther hump we can't draft worth a crap.

15. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Hey, I remember you being pretty down or meh on that pick.

Hmm, perhaps I'm remembering wrong?

16. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    Yes, I didn't like it at all. I wanted us to trade down which could have for more picks and picked up Jordan Willis and a quality guard like lamp, dawkins or feeney instead.

Harris has shown absolutely nothing so far to change my mind while willis has been tearing it up in cincinnati.

17. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I did too, just because the guy has one elite move that he thrived with in college. In the pros though, you spin to the outside, the tackle gives you a little shove, and by the time you recover the pass is already in the air. His talent just doesn't translate to the NFL level.

Now, that's not to say he's a bust....he's a great athlete with many of the intangibles, and the kid is mega-hungry to learn. I would have loved him as a 3rd or 5th round pick like a Jakeem Grant that you see something in but may not translate....but not as one of our highest picks this decade. Could he be the next JT in five years? Sure, maybe. But he definitely won't be the next JT anytime soon. That's why I hated the pick...we vastly overpaid for a one-trick pony whose trick doesn't work in the NFL.

18. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm talking about Godchaux:

Meanwhile, the pick you liked, Asiata, might not even make the final roster. It's almost, as if, we don't know everything absolutely! It's almost like players have different career trajectories! It's almost like a player can fit on an NFL team better than they did on their college team!

People need to seriously be patient. These guys all develop at different rates and reach different ceilings. The fact that Godchaux, a pick you absolutely hated, is now the "bright spot" of our draft should let you know that you need to just watch what happens. You could be right, you could be wrong about Charles Harris. But it's hard to swallow your absolute statement, revisionist history, when the guy hasn't played a regular season down in the NFL yet.

Harmalama, LI phinfan, Colmax and 6 others like this.
  19. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    What makes you think he's been terrible against the run?

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Because every draft analyst around said, "He's terrible against the run..."

21. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    No not at all, because I have actually watched all three preseason games multiple times on DVR and seen him get blown off the ball on multiple occasions, not be able to set the edge worth a damn, and be terrible at diagnosing runs and biting on misdirection.

Through three games he has 0 sacks, 1 solo tackle, 1 assist, 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, and only 2 QB hurries.

Meanwhile Willis who was a 3rd round pick has been great at setting the edge and has been terrorizing QBs. He has 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble, 4 tackles and 2 QB hurries through three games.

22. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jordan Willis was my guy in the 1st round. I've made no attempt to hide that. Everyone disagreed, as he ended up falling into the 3rd round. So be it.

But I like Charles Harris and always have, and he's played well this preseason.

23. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    He hasn't been that great at the run this preseason, imo. That's a fair assessment.

Still don't care until the regular season starts.

24. hitman8

Nov 11, 2016
    I was wrong about godchaux, my opinion on draft day was based off one game I was able to see of him which was not very impressive. I am more than happy to be proven wrong, however harris has done absolutely nothing to prove me wrong and has been downright terrible considering he is a first round pick.

Asiata has not been bad considering he is a fifth rounder. I am pretty sure he will make the team. My gripe on draft day was actually that they didn't pick up a better guard earlier in the draft. My problem with harris is not that he is completely terrible, it's just that he is a one trick pony who will not start anytime soon if ever and was not worth a first rounder.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm not gonna sit here and talk about the Dolphins taking Charles Harris over Jordan Willis when they could've gotten Willis in the 2nd round, though. I also liked Takkarist McKinley and Obi Melifonwu.

Anyway I like Charles Harris.

The one I questioned was Raekwon McMillan with guys like Jordan Willis and Obi Melifonwu still on the board.

But when they got to the 3rd round and were still able to pick up Cordrea Tankersley that was pretty awesome.

26. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Wouldn't of happened in Miami.

danmarino likes this.
  27. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I must have missed all those regular season snaps he has taken that led to this conclusion. Can anyone show me some tape where he failed in the regular season? I have looked, and can’t seem to find any.

danmarino likes this.
  28. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2008
    LOL because we are so good at avoiding those....

29. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    How many acl's have we lost already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpk likes this.
  30. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    The universe bringing it to fruition, by the law of averages....he would be healthy and anchoring a top 5 OL.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  31. Bpk

You don't gamble, by any chance, do you?

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  32. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    And the opposite is also true. The OP made a point, backed it up with stats (which is a big goose egg for three games), and then said that his early viewpoint was valid. What happens? People ignore the draft analysis, they ignore the mini camp performances, they ignore the preseason stat lines and declare Harris a future superstar. The OP gets people telling him that his opinion isn't valid...just because they magically don't want it to be true.

May I remind everyone that having an open mind goes two ways? That's sort of the whole point of having a forum in the first place.

Dolphin North and Redwine4all like this.
  33. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    We have all watched Harris. But let me learn you something.

Anyone who is basing his value or lack their of on this little of a sample size, isn't keeping an open mind. It's rushing to judgement. And yes, that works both ways.....if he had 3 sacks and a TD I would expect people to be excited, but I would also expect them to not assume we have the next Lawrence Taylor.

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong at this point. Unless you just wrote him off like OP did, then you are rushing to judgment, you are more interested in prematurely saying "I told you so" then reality.

34. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    I do.

But I seem to not be able to stop losing??

It's fine though, by the laws of averages my time is coming.

eltos_lightfoot and Bpk like this.
  35. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Which means what? You think that no matter where Lamp was located at the moment his ACL was torn, it would have happened? So, if Miami had drafted him, he'd have still torn the ACL? That is basically what you are saying. Silly. Plum silly.

36. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Final Destination

37. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    If CK like's him I like him, lol He puts the hours in the film room for us

38. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's what forums are for...sharing opinions. I posted mine when we drafted him and again in #17 of this thread- I believe he was a reach in the first round given his skill set. Neither the OP or I wrote him off completely because you're right, you do never know. But if nobody is right and nobody is wrong, then why did so many folks calling the OP wrong? LOL, it's a bit of a double-standard and the only reason I posted here to begin with.

I do disagree with you though- we can learn a lot in three preseason games. Was Timmons a good addition? You bet your *** he was.

Is Ajayi in shape and ready to carry the team on his back? Heck to the yeah.

Can Grant work in our offense as an outside or slot receiver? You'd better believe it!

Has Parker evolved his game? Yes Yes Yes!!!

Can Cutler fill in for RT and lead this offense? You'd better believe it...and we learned that last one off of just three or four series.

39. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    My point basically is, anyone who was pro Harris or neutral would be insinuating he was a bad pick after the short sample size. However if you already were jaded by the pick? Naturally you pile on.

I say if we are in Week 6 and we haven't heard a peep from him? Then maybe you can start claiming he wasn't worthy of our pick.

KeyFin, danmarino and eltos_lightfoot like this.
  40. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Sharing opinions is what keeps these forums alive. Constantly spouting ignorance out of anger is just not productive and most people don't want to read it.

The truth of the matter is, the majority of NFL teams had Harris as a 1st round pick. He's a tremendous athlete who has all the talent in the world and with that talent the sky is the limit. The only thing that could keep him from reaching those heights is his mental make-up and drive. Does he have what it takes to work hard and succeed? So far his attitude, actions, and words have shown that he does. However, no one but him really knows. And for a poster to call him a bust after 3 pre-season games, where he has done pretty well in regards to both applying pressure to the QB and disrupting the run, is just silly. Just because a person doesn't know what their looking at or looking for doesn't make a player a bust.

Rickysabeast likes this.