1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channing Crowder....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Aug 10, 2009.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    From Edgar Thompson Tweet tonight..

"LB Channing Crowder had two sacks tonight or 1/2 more than he's had during his four-year career.
    about 2 hours ago from web"

Why again is this guy still our starting MLB and why did we give him a new contract? :no:

miamiron likes this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i think because he's a solid tackler.

sparano has even said that when crowder was out the coverage was noticable

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The market was weak and he's a pretty good player.

Xeticus likes this.
  4. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    All those tackles...yet only 1 forced fumble last year, no sacks, and no interceptions.

Look at what we had with Zach in his prime....all those tackles, sacks, ints, and forced fumbles.

Huge difference in terms of MLB.

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    can you name a better replacement that is feasible to get on this team this season?

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

ILB is our weakest position IMHO, however, Crowder has good size, athletic ability, physical skills, and he learned the game from the best: Zach Thomas. Channing learned to be a film study fanatic and how to read opposing offenses from Zach. But Channing has had to learn 3-4 different defensive schemes since he's been here. Now that he's had a year under Pasqualoni, and is the Mike LB, I expect to see more from him this season. THAT is why I think they signed him to a new 4 year contract. And Bill Parcells knows LB's, so I'll put my trust in him on this one. :up:

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, CC has to improve, that is what it is.

gunn34 likes this.
  8. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Well, if we had done what I wanted us to do a couple of years ago....Draft Patrick Willis...this wouldn't even be talked about right now.

However, this past draft we could have taken Clay Mathews, John Lauranitis, or Rey Maualuga instead of Davis in the first round. All were selected after we picked Davis.

I am not saying Davis was a bad pick, but there were options out there via the draft to solidify out MLB spot.

SICK likes this.
  9. anlgp

patrick willis has had 1 career interception 0 forced fumbles and 5 sacks in two years and 244 solo tackles.

crowder has 0 ints 1.5 sacks 0 fumbles and 266 solo tackles.

what's the big difference?

3.5 sacks 1 int and 59 draft picks. and crowder has 22 more individual tackles and is probably being paid a LOT less.

Tone_E, FinSane, Phinperor and 12 others like this.
  10. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    If you would rank our priorities at the draft filling a need at CB when we had little or no other options would definitely override our needs at MLB where we do have a option and a pretty decent one too in Crowder.

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Clay Matthews had exactly ONE season in which he was productive and shot up from a seventh round draft choice to a first round draft choice. He's a pretty big risk, something this management avoids. Further, James Laurinaitis doesn't fit what this management looks for. They look for physicality and he's the exact opposite. Smart player, yes, but struggles to shed blocks, which is required for a 3-4 inside linebacker. And Rey Maualuga? A guy that has had to be baby sat by Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers in the past, a guy who is not shy from the camera whatsoever and a guy who has alcohol issues? Not to mention, he did get in a fight at a party as a freshman at USC. Also, a guy who struggles to stay disciplined, hits the wrong gaps, admitted that he struggles to take on blockers when asked about Penn State offensive linemen, over-pursues against the run and you want him here over Crowder?

You're comparing Channing Crowder to Zach Thomas? Few people match that production. Crowder isn't an elite player but he's pretty good. I think the spot next to him needs more upgrading to be honest.

Tone_E, MrClean, FinSane and 10 others like this.
  12. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well your talking about three rookies that could very well not play up to standards that matches what Crowder has done Laurinaitis didn't really fit this defense, Matthews had only one good year and Maualuga had character concerns to go along with questionable instincts. The combination of Crowder and Vontae Davis is much better than Maualuga/Laurinaitis and Eric Green.

As for Patrick Willis, here is his stat line from last season:

141 TKLS, 1 sack, 1 INT, 10 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR

Channing Crowder's stat line:

113 TKLS, 6 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR

Not exactly head and shoulders above Crowder. Now I like Patrick Willis a lot and would of preferred him over Ginn. All I'm saying is Willis isn't head and shoulders above Crowder.

13. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Point taken.

At least we agree on the last part. LOL

14. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Man had I waited a few more minutes I wouldn't have had to type all of that lol. Yea agree with everything you said man. Plus you also have to look at the defenses Zach played in. Everything was funneled towards him. Plus the guys instincts and game preparation are second to none.

15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think Cane was being sarcastic. Zach was not a FF, INT and sack machine.

CANEPHINS likes this.
  16. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Finally...someone gets me.

I heart you jdang307! :)

jdang307 likes this.
  17. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The guy is a pretty good 3-4 ILB. He's not great by any means, but he can do a more than adequate job. Would it probably be preferable that we had a more dynamic every-down guy, and Crowder take over Ayodele's spot? Sure, but it's by no means some baffling situation that he was resigned and our starting ILB. You are totally barking up the wrong tree.

Xeticus likes this.
  18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Crowder is solid.
    He is what MLB should be, a tackler.
    His PRIMARY job is to tackle the guy with the football, and he is pretty darn good at it.
    Thats my main argument in Rey Rey vs Thomas. What position they played? MLB. Whats their primary job? Exactly. This guy isn't a show stopper but CHanning is a solid tackler, and he proved this offseason that he wants to stay in Miami. He wants to be here.

late again and unluckyluciano like this.
  19. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I wasn't real thrilled with retaining Crowder myself, however it's true that the alternatives were limited.

Personally I thought he was paid waaaay too much for his skill set and that if we were gonna pay him that much money, why didn't we just ante up a bit more and go after Bart Scott...

But as someone else said, the real weakness at LB is the guy next to him....

gunn34 and TiP54 like this.
  20. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ill propably thank your every post just because of your name dude.

FinSane, MonstBlitz, gunn34 and 6 others like this.
  21. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    ^^^ homer ^^^ : )

Coach said a couple of pressers ago that we need Channing to take the next step, that we need for him to up his game. I think that after having a year to see what we have, that there will be a better utilization of the talent we do have, and some new things with the talent we acquired to fill holes discovered last year. As has been mentioned PPasq will be adding more blitzes and complex formations this year and that makes sense to me. Year two of using the scheme will allow new twists and turns, hopefully confusing blocking schemes. Much like our use of the wildcat dictates to the defense what they do, I think this year, some of our formations and blitzes will dictate to the offense in the same fashion. If we can get through the initial learning curve for our new db's, I think we will have fun watching our defense disrupt opposing offenses.

22. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    hmmm...i question every single person in here that posted ridiculous numbers about Crowder and Willis and then said their wasnt much of a difference. now if you meant numbers OK, but Willis IS head and shoulders above Crowder in terms of play on the field and impact.

also, i was under the 'if we can get him for a good deal resign Channing' bandwagon. i think we did decent on the deal, not to long either. so im happy with the resigning. we do need to upgrade the position though.

jetssuck, djphinfan and cnc66 like this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Rather have an ILB that always makes the solid play, than one who tries to do too much. Crowder does what he should. The scheme doesn't put him in position to do much other than shed blocks and make tackles.

How many 3-4 ILBs rack up INTs?

FinSane likes this.
  24. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Like most of you, even if I don't initially agree with some of the players we sign or draft, I know and feel confident that for the most part they will benefit our team in one way or another just because of the fact that our FO picked them. How many franchises can really have blind faith in their FO?

As for our ILB, I think the upcoming draft was supposed to address LB's along with TE's and maybe RB's? Lets just see what those positions give us this year, and draft what we need next year.

FinSane likes this.
  25. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, but people need to accept that not every single player on our roster is going to be elite... Every team has a weakness, personally I believe ours in the secondary, not the inside linebacker position.

26. anlgp

numbers represent play on the field and i doubt that patrick willis is a more vocal leader on D than crowder.

crowder has an extension to his contract which i'm sure would cost a whole lot more for willis if/when he gets his extension. crowder got roughly 20m and willis is still playing on a 16m rookie contract (which he apparently is fine playing under http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/06/06/patrick-willis-in-no-rush-for-new-deal/). how much do you think willis will want when he gets an extension cuz i think it'll be way more than 20m and honestly his numbers aren't worth it to me.

i know numbers are not the only thing that should play into a football decision but crowder is a film nut as well. with all those tackles you know he is fully capable of watching film and knowing where to be to make the play. he hasn't really jumped out and done anything spectacular but i don't think willis has either. the contract willis will most likely ask for being a former first round pick will be insane for the numbers he has produced on the field IMO.

i still say the difference is 3.5 sacks 1 int and 59 picks in two more years. did i mention less solo tackles?

27. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Defense fell off when Crowder was out last year.

Also, sounds like he may be improving as a pass rusher. Some of the things I saw this weekend....he may get a few more sacks. Pasqualoni will definitely be blitzing more this year.

anlgp likes this.
  28. anlgp

:praying: sean smith vontae davis welcome to the NFL here's a football from tom brady, nacho sanchez and trent edwards as a housewarming gift!

29. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada

I think if Crowder could get to the QB when the MLB is called to blitz (i know it won't be often) it would really create a nice new dynamic an opposing offense would have ot pay attention to.

Perhaps get someone to come off their block early, make the qb think about pre snap.

I think your right Muck, Crowder will get some opportunities to get after the qb this year. I sure hope he takes advantage of it. It would seriously bolster our pass rush, from a dynamics standpoint.

30. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    You're comparing Channing Crowder to Zach Thomas? Few people match that production. Crowder isn't an elite player but he's pretty good. I think the spot next to him needs more upgrading to be honest.

There you go alen.
    If Sparano says he's good enough then: "So let it be written-So let it be done"!

It'll be many years before we see another Zach, if ever.

The Aqua Crush likes this.
  31. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    the big difference is one has played 2 seasons and one has played 4 seasons so straight up how can you EVEN try to compare both players.Try to multiply Willis numbers by 2
    then compare since he has only played half the seasons as Crowder.Willis first two seasons he had 141 and 174 tackles...show me where Crowder has those numbers!

Two very different talent levels my friend!!!

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He has to step it up this year, personally I would have prefered it if Karlos Dansby hit the market, by all accounts Parcells likes him.

33. anlgp

two different draft spots and paychecks as well.

for where crowder was drafted he's been doing fine IMO

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    if crowder was stronger in his core he would be better football player, he gets good position, but he also gets pushed around a little, strong running backs can win the head to head battle with him, and hes pretty stiff from the waist up, pretty decent in coverage {for the first few seconds, like he said} other then that, hes a pretty solid football player.

35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO CC is a good all around MLB. He's solid in coverage and solid against the run. What he lacks is play making ability. I think he can improve there but will probably never be consistently great.

As for Willis, I liked him in that draft and he was my second choice to Ginn, but MLB is one of those positions that routinely produce superstars with later picks. It happens with every position, including WR, but it happens most consistently with MLB. And the D we were running then under Cam wanted more of a plugger there than a play maker at MLB. So I'm happy with the choice of Ginn there and with CC getting a decent but not ridiculous new contract.

gunn34 and djphinfan like this.
  36. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Corner was much more of a need than ILB going into the draft, and when a player of Davis' caliber falls to you you have to jump on it.

37. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Channing Crowder is our starting MLB because he is a great tackles and a solid player.

You are not going to find MLB's like Zach Thomas. He is one in a million he was great. I would also have to agree with SICK who else is out there? Channing Crowder is a solid player and I think we will see some improvements in him this year

38. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Sure he may be a solid tackler, but he's not a game changer. And I don't know the stats but he seems to have London Fletcher disease where he may make the tackle but the running back has already gotten an extra yard of penetration before he gets taken down.

39. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Crowder's problem has never been anything physical, it seems to be his instincts.....

Around my house he's affectionately known as Channing "Wrong Gap" Crowder.

gunn34 likes this.
  40. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Look at our run defense against Kansas City with Crowder inactive... People need to realize our roster isn't going to be full of All-Pros... So Crowder is a good starter, but not in the best in the league... So what? We have other things to worry about than Channing Crowder.