Channing Crowder, other Dolphins to test free agent market
83 replies
Crowder's prepared to discover if other teams disagree with the Dolphins' assessment and will offer him a contract that pays him like he's a starting linebacker when free agency opens Feb. 27.
All of the Dolphins' key free agents likely will take the same approach. The belief is that all five of the free agent starters — Crowder, right tackle Vernon Carey, cornerback Andre' Goodman and safeties Renaldo Hill and Yeremiah Bell — presently aren't getting the Dolphins' best offer.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flspdolphins22sbjan22,0,194729.story
The Dolphins have had discussions with impending free agent SS Yeremiah Bell, but both sides admit a new contract isn't close.
"It's early. Real preliminary," said Bell's agent. "We're feeling each other out." Bell wants to stay in Miami. A three-year, $15M deal should do the trick.


Calm Like A Bomb!!!.....:freestyle:
Props to GISH for my avy and badges!
2012-2013 NBA CHAMPIONS MIAMI HEAT!!!
Crowder is a good player, but he isnt special, same with all of our other FA's. Bell is the only one Id keep but at the right price. You dont want to overpay a player that often injured like he is.
If we had this many FA's worth top dollar we wouldn't have been one and done in the playoffs. :wink2:


damn sounds like half our secondary is in that list
Crowder, Bell, Hill, Goodman, and Carey are all solid, yet unspectacular players and should be paid accordingly. If some other GM or coach thinks otherwise, that's okay. I trust the Tuna/Ireland/Sparano trio's judgment more than anyone else's.
Replacing solid, yet unspectacular players is not difficult.
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
I like Crowder and it would be good if he stays, but just for a fair contract offer! If we retain Bell and Carey it would be good for us too!
Thanks for the infos Styla!
Pray for the lost souls, injured and families that have been affected in the Boston Marathon explosion
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I loathe the day that we see Channing Crowder make a big play against the Dolphins as a member of the Patriots. I'm certain that, that is where he is going.
That's just because that's where every other fin seems to have ended up.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
All "stayable" guys, though none deserve top money.
I trust our staff judgement, specially after Zach and JT episodes.
I read the article and the truth is,whatever the big 3 see and want to do with the team is fine by me.I am not the one to make these decisions and will not get caught up with it either.
They know what they want and are already 5 steps ahead of us in the direction they want to go.
"I am Bane wrote:
:( this is the worst part of professional sports
depends if you're losing or gaining a player. if the cards can't afford dansby, we sure as heck can!:up:

For those who fought for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know.
John 3:16
I'd really like to keep Carey. It would solidify the tackle position for us with big Jake on the other side for years to come.
It would suck to lose those guys. I would like to keep Bell and Carey for the right price, but if the front office lets them go then I trust they know what they are doing. Whatever we do lose though I hope we improve on it come FA.
OK heres the way I see our free agents, I would like to resign two or three of them. Crowder is Morlon Greenwood 2.0 and I am not going to shed a tear when he leaves. He is a good tackler but nothing spectacular and thats the way he wants to get paid. He should be in the 4 years 15M range range and Im sure thats insulting to him so he can go be insulted else where.
I would like to keep Yeremiah Bell but not for anything more than a 2 year deal, hes over 30 and just comepleted his first full season. And if he thinks he's getting 5M per season I would laugh at him. Anyone care to guess what the Franchise tag was for a safety last year(average of teh top 5 S salaries) 4.1M Bell getting 5 million per year is laughable.
Vernon Carey is one I would like to hold on to but at a decent price, although I have a feeling we are looking at a Todd Wade scenario where someone will pay some stupid amount for an average player. Carey is a good OT dont get me wrong and has some versatility to be serviceable at LT. But hes merely a low second high third tier OT.
I would like to keep Hill and Goodman provided they arent asking for teh world as well. But in the case of Goodman if his asking price gets too high I would just move on to Daunta Robinson out of Houston
I really hope we don't let go of Bell and Goodman. They both really solidified our secondary. Goodman really played great this season after the first couple games. Bell is one we cannot afford to lose because playmaking safetys are often hard to find.
Posted via Mobile Device

sig courtesy to peastri!
Crowder said it best himself.
"I'm a system guy," Crowder said, referring to the way he's perceived by the team's front office. "Tackles are easy," Crowder said, referring to his career-high 119 tackles in 16 games. "You get paid off big plays. no big plays."
0 Undefeated Teams

Thanks giovafin sweet signature!
"Crappy Tipper wrote:
Crowder said it best himself.
In all fairness to Crowder who is acting borderline childish those comments appear to have been said in jest and I read them as dripping with sarcasm. Even if they are true
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
That's part of it, but it has to do with their great need for linebackers and their ability to rope in under achievers and get them to blossom into beautiful butterflies.
This is textbook Bill Belichick, really.
The only problem is I dont think of Crowder as an underachiever, he is good for what he is. But thats about it, hes not the big hitter, or a guy that forces alot of turnovers. Hes just a steady player and sure tackler with knee problems
"NickyNapoleon wrote:
The only problem is I dont think of Crowder as an underachiever, he is good for what he is. But thats about it, hes not the big hitter, or a guy that forces alot of turnovers. Hes just a steady player and sure tackler with knee problems
Channing would net 140+ tackles in New England, heck Seau played well up there and he is 200 years old, that Dline makes average Lb's stand out.
And CC is only 25, so I could see the patsies picking him up, but certainly not paying 5 million a year.
Hmm...Thomas..Mayo...Crowder...Sintim...not a bad looking Line backing crew.
We have to keep Carey, he's young and he played great before this season, he just had an off year, he's still only like 27
We need to sign Bell, Goodman, and Carey... Crowder and Hill are solid back-ups... Although 5 million/year for Bell might be too much. I think a 3 year 10-12 million is more in order

"padre31 wrote:
Channing would net 140+ tackles in New England, heck Seau played well up there and he is 200 years old, that Dline makes average Lb's stand out.
And CC is only 25, so I could see the patsies picking him up, but certainly not paying 5 million a year.
Hmm...Thomas..Mayo...Crowder...Sintim...not a bad looking Line backing crew.
Channing couldnt get 140 tackles because Mayo would have the guy tackled before Channing could get there, that would be a great spot for him. Next to Mayo it will show him how mediocre he really is
"padre31 wrote:
Channing would net 140+ tackles in New England, heck Seau played well up there and he is 200 years old, that Dline makes average Lb's stand out.
And CC is only 25, so I could see the patsies picking him up, but certainly not paying 5 million a year.
Hmm...Thomas..Mayo...Crowder...Sintim...not a bad looking Line backing crew.
It would be great if Crowder went to NE, he could overpersue and take himself out of plays when they play against us... I honestly think Ronnie would run right over him too.

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
Agree word for word.
And when it's all said and done, I think that's EXACTLY what their LB corps will look like. :cry:
Eh, times change, we expect more out of our ILB then the patsies do, and they are heavily invested in their dline and a bit further along, they could just plug Channing in and he will produce.
CC isn't Zach, who flat turned down the Patsies last offseason...and look on the bright side, maybe he can finally sell his hooptie and buy a nicer car..:lol:
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I think he'd be fantastic in their system. When he is able to read and react and doesn't have to take on blockers, he shoots gaps with the best of them and his impact on a ball carrier is quite significant. I think he's an underachiever because I think his best years are ahead of him and I think he will be a 150 tackle guy in New England and a guy that can make tackles near the line of scrimmage rather than 5 yards down field.
Like I said previously Crowder wont hit 150 tackles playing next to Mayo. Look at teh Ravens there is no 140 tackle player because there are 4 good LB's and Ray Lewis is the leader. Crowder would play the Bart Scott role in NE and probably be around 80-90 tackles