1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change of Heart ? Reid names Vick starter....

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Alex13, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
  2. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    We cant really say that Kolb had enought of a chance to prove himself, but reid surely is sarting to smell his butt's flesh burning on the hot seat

3. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    If it were a 37 year old journeyman coming in and playing like that for a couple games, maybe you put Kolb back in when he's healthy. But you don't bench a 30 year old Mike Vick after the 6 quarters of football he just played for you to give Kevin Kolb his shot, sorry.

I do have to admit, I didn't think Reid was open minded enough to do it.

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    4 of those quarters were against the Lions.

I’m not a fan of this move. The longer the Eagles delay the Kolb transition the worse off they’ll be.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It will be an interesting transition for Kolb to be sure. Will this spark him to redouble and be a success, or will it turn into a sulker and a sabateur.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this move either - I think you have to give the guy you traded McNabb because of (IN THE DIVISION!) a shot.

Never really liked Reid a coach anyway though.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Kolb appears to be a team player. He does want to start, and he did threaten to refuse an extension to his rookie contract if he didn’t get a shot, but I don’t think he’s doing that to kill the team. He wants a shot. He hasn’t gotten that yet.

Disagree. Reid is an excellent head coach, maybe the best in the league right now. I’m having a tough time coming up with names I’d rather have.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Let's just say Reid is not the only one hoping Vick sparks their team to victory..:shifty:

Eh, just makes sense, Reid has been around the block enough to know that "develop him for next season" is Bravo Sierra.

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Dont kid yourself about the lions. Sure theyre 0-2, but they beat the bears aside from a stupid rule, and they were leading the Eagles at one point in that game, and almost came back to tie it. They are nowhere near as bad as they were.

I understand getting Kolb in there as the starter, but he's coming off a concussion, didn't look to good in that game, and Vick has played very well. He gives the team the best chance to win, and it doesn't look like Kolb is ready to me.

finyank13 and gafinfan like this.
  9. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

What Brandon said about the Lions.

As far as the Vick move is concerned I think you have to play him. It's not just that he's playing hot it's that he's had so many more starts than Kolb. Their offense could really click and I really think Vick gives them a chance to "win now" whereas with Kolb it would probably take a few years.

10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They’re still fielding one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history.

texanphinatic likes this.
  11. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think this move says more about philly's offensive line than it does about kolb or vick. with the pass blocking struggles the philly line has been going through its better to have a mobile QB like Vick running the show. If you stick Kolb in there you'll get him killed

gafinfan likes this.
  12. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't get it.

This is Vick - he looks good a game or two then looks horrible. He was a mediocre quarterback and that was BEFORE he went to JAIL and played zero football for two years. Other than 2004 when they were 11-5 they were 7-9 and 8-8 the two years before his arrest.

I don't follow the Eagles enough - are they realistic Super Bowl contenders? Because otherwise all you are doing is delaying the time it is going to take to see if Kolb is the answer or you need to start over.

Very much like if we were to start Pennington again this year - decent QB who doesn't have much left (Vick is 30 but relies solely speed which he'll lose). A guy who had a good year or two but has never strung together enough success to be considered a long-term answer.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  13. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    And 2 was against Green Bay. 2 quarters he played very well in.

14. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    There not a Superbowl contender.

I don't see how you can disagree with this move, though. You don't bench Vick after the two games he's had, and you don't start Kolb because he just had a concussion. It's smart to play the QB that's hot while letting your Franchise QB come back from an injury at the right pace.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Green Bay also didn’t prepare for Vick.

16. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Waaaaaait a second -

Was he just named the starter for Sunday - or the starter for the rest of the year?

I was under impression Vick was starting for the remainder of the year. If it is just short-term then I totally understand.

17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    A lot of people do, and he has had success so its not something that easy to argue with. However, Sean Payton is the best coach in the league imo, by a wide margin.

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    rest of the year....

19. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Yea, I'm not buying that. Bottom line, he went out and played well. You can't take that away from him.

20. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I think he's going to be the starter until he plays himself out of it. Which, given Vicks past, shouldn't take too long.

21. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Good thing I was able to get Vick as a FA in my FF.