1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chalk Talk: Explaining the Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vengeful Odin, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Something that went largely unreported, and really unnoticed last week against Seattle, was that our team employed a new version of the Wildcat package that had not been seen or used previously. I thought it might be useful to take a look at the package in more depth, because it has progressed beyond a simple formation into an entire package to itself, with unique identifiers within each formation.

Wildcat 1.0

Let's take a look at the first iteration of the package first. This is the "classic" formation that most closely resembles what we saw Darren McFadden run at Arkansas.

[​IMG]

There's a couple of telltale "keys" that identify that yes, this is indeed the Wildcat package on the field.

1. Ronnie Brown - In this package, Ronnie Brown is lined up at QB. That's obviously the basics for the entire package.
    2. Goal Line Personnel - For all intents and purposes, the personnel on the field mirrors a goal line, or "big", set. There's 3 RBs and 2 TEs, at least in the base formation. We have seen other players in this set (Davone Bess for Ricky Williams, Patrick Cobbs at the David Martin spot, Greg Camarillo in the Patrick Cobbs Spot).
    3. Ricky in Motion - One of the hallmarks of this formation, and likely one of the toughest to pull off, is the pre motion. Ricky Williams will go into motion, and just before he crosses in front of Ronnie Brown Samson Satele hikes the ball. As a former Center, I fully respect the timing between these three players - one mistake and it could be disastrous.
    4. Unbalanced Line - The line is unbalanced to the right. This sets up the primary play sets from this formation, namely the speed sweep to Ricky, or the secondary off tackle run by Ronnie. Because the line is unbalanced, pretty much all of our running power is centered in the triangle you see between David Martin, Jake Long, and Vernon Carey. Long and Carey are two of our better blockers, so putting them both together creates a focal point. The idea is that they can create a huge lane, which we saw in the New England game. The drawback is that there's really not a lot of opportunity for cutbacks. That's why we saw the formation killed at Denver.

This formation has been successful for us, but as the course of the season has worn on it's become less and less reliable. In Denver it was ran for negative yards. The reasons for the success and failure are largely the same - it places a lot of focus on the right-hand side of the line. If teams can shut down the primary plays, the secondary plays don't always work. Most teams have shut it down by focusing on Ronnie Brown; he is not a quarterback by trade, and thus can be flustered under pressure, particularly when being asked to do things like throw the ball down field.

Wildcat 2.0

After the Denver game, our coaches went back to the drawing board a little bit, before unveiling the Wildcat "2.0" against Seattle last week.

[​IMG]

This formation is quite different from the original formation that was used previously. Ronnie is still at QB, and Chad Pennington is still split out wide as a WR, but that's really where the synergy ends.

• Triple Stack - The 3 RBs (Cobbs, Brown, and Williams) are all stacked side-by-side in the backfield.
    • Balanced Line - The line, previously unbalanced, is now in standard formation, with Jake Long manning his normal LT position. With the line back to being balanced, the defense can no longer overload to one side of the formation, as they have to respect plays designed to go to both the left and the right.

For all intents and purposes, this is really a 2 RB shotgun formation, a package that a lot of pro and college teams use. In fact, I believe this is the formation the Atlanta Falcons implemented for their former QB, Michael Vick. Ronnie is just as fast as Vick, and probably more accurate, so it makes sense to visit this formation as the next step in the Wildcat package.

The primary play direction sets Ricky up with a power run right (this was the play he scored on), with a secondary option look for Ronnie Brown and Patrick Cobbs (this was the play that Brown scored on). Don't kid yourself - there will be an option out of this formation from Brown to Cobbs, perhaps as soon as tomorrow.

And that's really all there is to it - you can see both formations involve the same base personnel, so now defenses have to prepare for not just one or two series of plays, but several formations that have historically proved capable of big plays. In other words, preparation for the Wildcat just doubled, based on last week. I wouldn't expect to see much of the original, v 1.0, tomorrow - but I'm pretty sure we'll see v 2.0, and maybe even a v 3.0, during tomorrow's game.

2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Who's #80?

3. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Anthony Fasano.

4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    come on man, its your team you should know who number 80 is, he´s even a starter :up:

nice job OV thank you

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ahh ****, Brain fart

6. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    :lol:

No worries. He only scored a touchdown out of this formation earlier this year. :wink2:

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  7. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    any predictions for this week and the wildcat, i fully expect the ted ginn pass out of this formation in the next 2 weeks, maybe they keep it for the NE game, but it will happen, imo

8. Alex13

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    if you look at the wildcat 1.0 board and you put in Ginn in Martins Place, what about a ricky run to the outside and he hands it off to ginn on a reverse

9. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I think Ginn will probably eventually find his way onto the field in this formation, though I don't know if it will be in either of the versions we've seen thus far. He's got the speed to be efficient within either formation, that's for sure, but up to this point the coaches haven't trusted him enough to do anything in it. He has a decent enough arm, so some type of reverse or even reverse pass certainly isn't out of the question.

10. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    They want big and slow on the field for the defense, therefore they leave speed on the sideline.

11. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    I'm not trying to be a pain Odin, but you should switch 38 and 88 if you want it to be right.

12. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    ahh i should say .............They may have lined up the way you have it a few times but most the time they would be switched.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  13. Yarg

Yarg New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Myers, FL
    That first diagram is incorrect....

It isn't a legal formation because there is only 6 guys on the line of scrimmage and after the motion there isn't any legal recievers to cover the left tackle on the line.

The second formation also doesn't have 7 men on the LoS and needs Fasano to be up on the line but thats just a minor thing and not a big deal.

14. Yarg

Yarg New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Myers, FL
    Also for a example real in game example about what im talking about.....

Anyone remember the Vikings Game a while back where Moss took a motion end around handoff then stopped and passed the ball to Culpepper for a TD and it got called back because the LT wasn't covered with a reciever on the line.

The first diagram mentions is almost the same exact formation and motion that was used on that play.

15. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Fixed. :up:

Yeah, I've seen them lined up both ways ... I've also seen Camarillo where Cobbs is. Cobbs was in the slot when he caught the TD on the reverse fleaflicker.

Also fixed. :up:

I can use Photoshop, but I can't count very well. Nice catch.

One thing that I didn't mention, is that you can easily flip the plays in the second version. The first version has plays that are all designed to go one way, there's no real way to flip them. In the second one, we could easily see Cobbs take a handoff to the left on the sweep, just like we saw Ricky do last week goign to the right.

16. Yarg

Yarg New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Myers, FL
    Also the reason that the first formation isn't an illegal formation, is because of the way that we use the unbalanced line.

On all offensive plays you have to have 5 interior lineman that are not eligible and 5 recievers that are eligible recievers plus the QB.

The 5 lineman have to be on the LOS and both sides have to be flanked by 1 eligible reciever that is on the LOS.

If we used 6 total lineman, replacing Fasano with say Alleman, and declared Jake as an eligible reciever, the formation would be illegal because we wouldn't have an eligible flanking Alleman.

This is the man difference between an Unbalanced Line (your center has 1 lineman to his left, 3 to high right) and using a Big set (You use an offensive lineman at TE and declare him eligible).

Jake doesn't line up at TE when we use an unbalanced line because he isn't eligible to recieve a pass.

I hope this helps people understand the unbalanced line and the wildcat a little bit more.

17. A nice wrinkle to throw into that second version would be to have Ginn line up in Cobbs spot. Would that be legal to put him in the back field like that?

18. Yarg

Yarg New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort Myers, FL
    Yep but then who would lead block for ronnie on outside sweeps?

19. maybe ronnie would block for Ginn and let Ginn turn the burners on or show us why he was a QB in highschool days.

20. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Of course, you can do that.as long as you have the right amount of people on the line you can do whatever.You could put anyone on the team in Cobbs spot.

21. Ok wasnt sure if only certain number jerseys could be in the backfield. Im just a dumb fan. I know nothing about the x's and o's

22. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I'm hoping we'll see Pennington come in motion thru the backfield, what is the Defense going to do than?