1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Pennington Limiting our Offense? Numbers say otherwise...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MonstBlitz, May 21, 2009.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That is a good point.

Still, numbers do show that Chad Pennington limits the offense.

He does a lot of positives, just 3rd and longs and passes beyond 20 yards are ones he limits the offense.

Another thing to point out last year was the fact that Miami routinely went against weaker defenses.

2. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Miami was 21st in scoring offense last year so we still have ways to go.

Here are the scoring offense rankings in Chad's Career

2008 - 21st
    2007 - 25th (8 games played)
    2006 - 18th
    2005 - (Only 3 games played)
    2004 - 17th (13 games played)
    2003 - 24th (10 games played)
    2002 15th (15 games played)

In 02 the Jets were only 15th in scoring even though Chad had the highest QB rating in the NFL. That's got to mean something.

Disclaimer: I do like Chad as our QB.

3. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

It does mean something.....take a look at Super Bowls since 1990. 11 Times the winner had an offense ranked 7 or better. 8 Times they had a ranking between 16-24.....BUT...those teams had a defense ranked no worse than 7 overall....

http://www.thumper300zx.com/megalist/defense.htm

4. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    if you wont take our word for it... take Marshall Faulk who understand how an offense works and how the ability to stretch the field changes everything...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...01/0601brown.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't completely disagree with what you guys are saying about Pennington's arm, etc.

But seriously, are you using Marshall Faulk's football analysis to support your position? The guy was an amazing player, but his football commentary certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

6. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    listening to his commentary i agree... but his understanding the workings of an NFL offense? i think hes perfectly capable of that

7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Marshall Faulk understands offenses.

8. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    IMO, Marshall Faulk was a great player and a smart player. In terms of football analysis, I think you could find someone better to support your case. He is consistently one of the weakest the NFL Network has to offer in that department and one of the worst in the business, in my opinion.

Again, I'm not disputing everything you're saying. I just wouldn't use Marshall Faulk to support your case. That's just me though.

9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

How Marshall Faulk sounds as a commentator has ZERO to do with his knowledge of how NFL offenses operate. How many playbooks did he have to learn? I would classify a Hall of Fame RB as an expert on how NFL offenses work, but then again , heck what do I know...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    There was not a smarter QB than Chad Pennington in all of the NFL last year. His progressions were perfect, his reads remarkable, and his accuracy astute. He happened to have his one horrid game in the playoffs and still kept us in the game moving the ball late until a never confident-looking Ted Ginn Jr. fumbled a handoff for what was a wide-open reverse that would have assuredly picked up a first down if not six points.

Pass rush, Oline. Flacco had eons to throw the ball especially on 3rd down as much evey other QB that lined up against us did and the interior of our offensive line was so pathetic the coaches had to excavate and modify a single-winged dinosaur so as to be able to invoke a shadow of a running game.

Pass rush, Oline. As it seems to me, our attempts to upgrade these positions were mediocre at best which has left me befuddled when considering the football IQs our front office posses. But I certainly refuse to sit back and wax negative about the regime that took us from chumps to champs.

Reserve Chad Henne conversations for next year. Whats the rush? Pennington was far from the problem, on the contrary, very much the solution and he's under contract for another year.

Pass rush, Oline.

Disnardo likes this.
  11. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Well Chad missed 2 games (he started one of those but got hurt early) that season. Both those games that Testeverte started they scored 7 and 3 points respectively. That had the hurt the rankings for that season. :up:

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He was a smart player and he understands offenses.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    First blame is the offensive line on that play.

2nd place to put blame goes to the quarterback. It was Pennington's job to get it to Ginn, so he didn't have to think about it.

3rd goes to Ginn.

Ginn's fault on that play is very small in comparison to Pennington's.

14. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    He didn't keep us in the game. The defense kept us in the game while Chad threw 4 interceptions.