1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Johnson-WR-Bengals

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by ATVZ400, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Carson Palmer recently spoke to Chad Johnson on the phone, and Johnson told Palmer that he'll "be (at the Bengals' facility) when he has to."

All the Bengals' workouts are voluntary until a mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson also said early this month that he has no plans to sit out the 2008 season, so it appears may be slowly backing off his trade demand.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

alen1 likes this.
  2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer said today that his teammate, wide receiver Chad Johnson, assured him in a phone conversation that “he’ll be there when he has to.”

Johnson is skipping voluntary off-season activities and has suggested that he wants more money, that he isn’t happy in Cincinnati, and that he would rather play elsewhere. But Palmer told reporters today that Johnson won’t hold out when mandatory practices begin.

Palmer also said he isn’t surprised that the Bengals released another of his wide receivers, Chris Henry, after Henry was charged with assault.

“You thought it might happen, given his track record,” Palmer said. “It’s too bad. [Henry is] an amazing talent, and to see him throw it away is tough. He’s a good-hearted person. It’s just too bad.”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/16/palmer-says-chad-will-be-there-when-he-has-to/

alen1 likes this.
  3. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    UPDATE
    After reading that Carson Palmer said he plans to report to the Bengals "when he has to," Chad Johnson called ESPN's John Clayton, denied saying that, and reiterated that he wants to be "traded before the draft."

"I want to make this very clear," Chad said. "I don't know where (Palmer) got that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals. I wish he would stay out of my business. I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible. I don't intend on reporting to anything."
    Source: ESPN.com

alen1 likes this.
  4. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible. I don't intend on reporting to anything.
    --Chad Johnson
    What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

The Bengals said they have no comment in response to Johnson's statements. A team spokesman pointed to coach Marvin Lewis' statement at the owners meeting that he has fully discussed the Johnson situation and didn't feel it was productive to talk about it again.

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

Lewis has said repeatedly that the team has no plans to deal Johnson, despite the wide receiver making the rounds of radio and television talk shows to voice his displeasure about his situation in Cincinnati.

Wednesday, the Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

"I wish he would stay out of my business,'' Johnson said.

LINK
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349761

alen1 likes this.
  5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yea the sure way to get traded is to lower your value....
    Seriously though is this guy mentally OK right now? He seems to be falling apart before our eyes here. He makes a ton of money and the way he's acted in the offseason his value has dropped substantially. I can't see the Bengals getting an offer worth taking.

alen1 likes this.
  6. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I wouldn't want to live/work in Cincy either...especially when you are from Miami...lets bring him home.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. I am a fan of Chad and his antics ON THE FIELD. He is becoming a headcase and is starting to reach Shockey's status if he hasn't surpassed him already. He has stated in the past that he admires Harrison of the Colts, well why doesn't he take a page out of his Marvin's book and shut up, go do your job.

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    This latest round of his offseason behavior is really sad. Palmer send nothing negative about him, just that he will show up at mandatory camps, which he will or get fined, and Chad throws him under the bus and refuses to play in Cincy? Where is he going to get a better situation for a wideout than in Cincy? No contender is going to trade anything of value for him.

alen1 likes this.
  9. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He's a greedy jackass, nothing more to it than that.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree. I think if they have little success this year, that team will be blown up. The coaching staff will be gone, possibly Marvin Lewis.

11. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    CLARIFYING THE JOHNSON CAP HIT
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 17, 2008, 7:07 a.m.
    Whenever the possibility of trading Chad Johnson comes up, Mark Curnutte of the Cincinnati Enquirer crows about the supposedly crippling cap hit that the Bengals would take if they were to trade or release Johnson.

Again on Wednesday, Curnutte asserts that “the club can simply not afford to trade the wide receiver or terminate his contract.”

Curnutte continues to point to an $8 million cap hit that the Bengals would take. But Curnutte also continues to minimize and/or overlook a couple of key facts.

First, the June 1 rule permits the cap charge to be spread over two seasons. If Johnson is traded or released after June 1, the dead money in 2008 will be considerably smaller, apparently in the neighborhood of $3 million. He also can be cut now, with the move designated as a post-June 1 transaction.

Second, since the Bengals would avoid Johnson’s $3 million base salary for 2008 (and his $250,000 workout bonus, which they’ve presumably already been relieved from paying due to his failure to report for voluntary offseason workouts), it’s a wash in 2008 dollars.

Third, any cap hit in 2009 would be offset by $4.75 million in salary and workout bonus that the Bengals wouldn’t have to pay to Johnson.

Third, Curnutte makes his claims without setting forth any facts regarding the team’s projected cap situation in 2009, when the maximum per-team spending limit is virtually certain to increase by another $7 million or more, exceeding $120 million for the first time. So what’s $5 million or so in dead money, especially when $4.75 million or so in new money wouldn’t be paid to a guy with a stick in his butt?

Remember this — we’re talking about the Bengals. Mike Brown is one of those owners who would be happy to operate without a salary cap because there likewise would be no salary floor. Cutting or trading Johnson means in essence that the Bengals get extra credit toward the salary floor without spending any more money.

Our guess in this regard is that the Bengals are privately using the cap hit to help sell their decision to the fan base to dig in their heels and not trade Johnson, even if at some point it’s in the team’s best short-term and long-term interests to do so.

Sooner or later, the fans are going to demand that something be done; we think the Bengals are trying to head that off by floating a specious argument based on financial realities that in reality inure to the benefit of the chronically frugal franchise.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/17/clarifying-the-johnson-cap-hit/

12. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    It's pretty obvious he's miserable on that team now. When he's been asked if it's a money issue he says he already has a ton of money, it's not a money thing. I don't understand why people claim he's being greedy and only wants more money. He might have lost the passion to play football for the Bengals.

13. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    UPDATE
    Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said Thursday it would be best if the Cincinnati Bengals and disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson parted ways.

Houshmandzadeh

"If he's not traded it's going to be a problem." Houshmandzadeh told ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN he talked with both Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday after Johnson demanded a trade from Cincinnati.

Houshmandzadeh said Johnson reiterated to him: "I'm not playing."

"I think eventually he'll show up, but then you have to worry about how much of a distraction he'll be," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN.

Johnson said Wednesday that he wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengals functions -- mandatory or voluntary.

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by Palmer that indicated Johnson had told the quarterback he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson told ESPN.com's John Clayton on Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson told ESPN.com. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN that Johnson spent most of the past few months not returning Palmer's phone calls. Houshmandzadeh said Palmer and Johnson have talked a few times recently.

Houshmandzadeh, who said he's talked to Johnson more this offseason than ever, revealed to ESPN that Johnson started talking about wanting out of Cincinnati during last season.

LINK
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

alen1 likes this.
  14. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    update
    In addition to the Cowboys and Eagles, the Raiders are reportedly among "several teams" that have expressed interest in Chad Johnson.

The Redskins are almost certainly also in the mix. ESPN's John Clayton says the Bengals still don't want to trade Johnson, but it will be hard to pass on an offer if they're blown away. Chad is likely to remain a big distraction.
    Source: ESPN Insider

alen1 likes this.
  15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Doubt he goes to the Raiders lol.

16. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    update
    Bengals: Teams lining up to offer trades for Ocho Cinco
    The News
    While the Bengals may not be seeking an opportunity to move their best offensive weapon, there are more than a few teams reportedly happy to make an attempt to change their minds, according to ESPN.com. John Clayton of ESPN has reported several teams are interested in trading for veteran WR Chad Johnson , including the Philadelphia Eagles, the Dallas Cowboys, and the Oakland Raiders.

Our View
    Dallas owner Jerry Jones has commented on Johnson, stating the Cowboys are looking for a veteran wideout to lineup across from Terrell Owens and Johnson would certainly fit the bill.
    http://www.fanballnews.com/nfl/

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    yikes... Owens and Johnson as WR's on the same team??? thats scary...

18. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    No, what's scary is the arguing over how many balls each will have thrown their way, that's where it would get ugly.

alen1 likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

20. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    update
    The Washington Post hears that Chad Johnson's "magic number" in a sign-and-trade deal would be $20 million in guarantees.

If he's traded, Johnson would certainly would want a new deal from the team he's dealt to, complicating matters some. Larry Fitzgerald was guaranteed $30 million, so in comparison Chad's demands aren't too unreasonable.
    Source: Washington Post

alen1 likes this.