1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chad Henne Draft Preview: Shades of Brady

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsincebirth, Oct 1, 2009.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So with Chad starting this weekend I've been looking up his old draft previews to see what different scouts thought about him. I found this article and liked it, so I thought I'd share. It's written by Prisco who everybody hates, but he isn't bashing the dolphins so you all might like it.

I'm a gator fan, and to be fair that defense he lit up in the cap 1 bowl was really ****ty. But otherwise I like the read.

2. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Question: Did Prisco write this article after the Dolphins drafted him? I think the tone would be completly different if so. The guy hates everything we do. If we traded for Tom Brady he'd find a way to bash us.

3. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Well in Prisco's defense if we traded for Tom Brady, Prisco could legitimately say we traded for douche bag.

MonstBlitz, SICK and Agua like this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Im sorry, I have to disagree with this entirely.

The backups at Florida, no matter what year it is, are still some of the best athletes in the entire nation. You could take thier backups and start them at most other colleges in the nation. Theres no such thing as a ****ty defense when it comes to those tough SEC teams.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Especially when you consider the SAME DEFENSE won a National Championship the next year. They may have been a little raw, but were still a talented group.

6. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    We must have a thing for Senior Bowl MVP QB's

GISH and jetssuck like this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Prisco still likes Henne apparently

8. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I saw that Senior bowl game and personally I thought Henne looked better than Flacco

Disnardo likes this.
  9. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Which is a good reason to be very very weary.

Frumundah Finnatic and Agua like this.
  10. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007

Please don't give me that crap. I live in gainesville, eat, breathe and sleep Gator and SEC football and probably have spewed that lines many times. I don't care if it was the same players as we have now, that defense was ****ty. Did it improve the next year? Yes it did, but because the team was so embarrassed and the coaches absolutely kicked the defense's *** in the workouts the next summer. IMO we repeat as national champions that year if our defense is half as good as it is now.

That defense ranked 41 in total defense, 98th in pass defense and 10th in rush defense. In the loss to Auburn the defense couldn't stop the Tigers in the swamp to allow them to kick a fieldgoal to win as time expired. They allowed LSU to convert 4/4 or 5/5 fourth downs on the final drive to give them the go ahead touchdown. They couldn't stop Georgia from scoring 42 points and never giving the offense a chance. They allowed IMO an average Michigan team to rack up 500 yards of total offense in the bowl game.

Simply put in 2007 that defense was ****ty.

And enough thread jacking:wink2:

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    It was before the draft

12. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Who is the other one you're referring to?

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just something to think about:

Henne scored 21 on the Wonderlic :yes: the average QB that took the test scored 24, big difference. Wonder what Brady's score was? wasn't Brady draft in the 7th round? seems like the better comparison would be with Thigpen not Henne.
    good thing he was an understudy to Pennington for a year & a half before having to brave the NFL. that is a very big deal that favors his success.

one way or the other, this is his year to be all that he can be :up:

14. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Wonderlic doesn't mean that much. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Terry Bradshaw all got fifteens. So did Steve McNair. Donovan Mcnabb had a 14.

Brian Griese got a 39. Ryan Leaf had a 27. Akili Smith scored a 26. Joey Harrington had a 32.

By the way, Tom Brady had a 33.

15. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Pat Wizzite

padre31 and 2k5 like this.
  16. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Really? He was the Senior Bowl MVP?

17. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    link

finsincebirth likes this.
  18. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I wasn't doubting, I was more just surprised :lol:

19. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I am looking forward to seeing what Henne can so the rest of this season....hopefully he can really step it up...at worst he should still be here as a backup, but I think he will get better over time....he just needs experience.

20. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    everything means something, including the wonderlic
    three things about Marino, Bradshaw & Kelly
    1) was it the same test they take today & scored in the same way?
    2) they were all three the consummate QB's from day one (Ryan?).
    3) Bradshaw had a learning disability that effected his ability to objectively test but had nothing to do with his intelligence or ability to play football

Henne on the positive:
    1) physically & psychologically very tough
    2) strong arm, played eight years as a starter from HS through College
    3) a year & a half learning the game from one of the greats as an understudy to Pennington. should be a very quick & smooth transition.
    4) has every advantage in his assuming the reigns of the offense

we will soon see how good he is or is not (within the next three games)

I am hopeful but understand that the guy has to make his bones in the NFL in 2009

along with GinnJr, I say no more excuses. just do it :up:

21. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    On the Wonderlic, I have no idea if it's the same test. I'm attaching a link to the site I found the scores so you can check out everybody.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Supposedly this guy did research and found no direct correlation. Even when I was looking at it I that some star QB's had high scores and thought I noticed a pattern. And then you'd see star Qb's with low scores. And busts with really high scores.

On Henne, everything you said sounds spot on. The big knock on him coming out of college was his consistency. We'll see if that has improved on Sunday.