1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB John Destin - Tulsa

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jan 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Has anyone watched the guy significantly?

From what I can tell he runs about 5 feet, 11.5 inches and 195 pounds. NFL Draft Scout has no read on his speed. He's from Belle Glade, FL.

He has a pretty cool story.

He got no scholarship offers out of high school, and ended up bagging groceries at Winn-Dixie in Belle Glade for two years. He botched a try-out for Alcorn State, and landed with a JUCO in Illinois. He put together a 9 minute grainy YouTube of his JUCO highlights and sent them off to a bunch of teams. Tulsa came back with a scholarship offered. He started one game in 2007 and then 5 games in 2008. He had a pick in the bowl game against Nate Davis and Ball State. This year he's got 4 interceptions and 44 tackles in 10 games, and he let a 5th interception go right through his hands against UTEP.

I haven't even BEGUN scouting the guy yet but he's got my attention because he made a play against Jeremy Williams that showed off pretty sick speed. I went and looked at his back pedal a little and it's ridiculously fast and smooth. That's when I did some minor digging and found his story. With that speed, 4 interceptions and 4.4 tackles per game are not coincidental.

Here's his JUCO YouTube
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNO3GDGoXQ"]YouTube- John Destin Highlights[/ame]

Here's a highlight of the GMAC Bowl against Ball State. He has a key pass breakup at 1:34 into the video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvh46tza6mY"]YouTube- 2009 GMAC Bowl Highlights [Tulsa vs. (22) Ball State][/ame]

And another video, he has an interception at 0:23 into the video.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIbomYEbzG8"]YouTube- 2009 GMAC Bowl Highlights [Tulsa vs. (22) Ball State] (ESPN Highlights)[/ame]

Interesting kid. Would love to see how things shake out for him. He's a local so you could always end up seeing him on the Dolphins' practice squad.

On the play that grabbed my attention, both at full speed, he crosses 50 feet in the time it took Jeremy Williams to cross 45 feet. Let's pretend that Williams replicates Kenny Britt's exact 40 yard run at last year's Combine. Britt crossed the final 20 yards in 1.88 seconds on a 4.50 overall time. Based on that assumption, Destin would have crossed the final 20 yards in 1.69 seconds, which is 0.06 seconds faster than Darius Heyward-Bey...the fastest I've ever seen.

So two things...

1. Jeremy Williams may not really be as fast as people think.

2. John Destin has NFL cornerback speed, 4 interceptions in his senior year, a degree, a humble background, and decent size.

2. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    It's probably just a weakening of the Jeremy Williams story. Casey Robottom beat Destin on a man coverage TD and later Destin let up a deep ball to Jeremy and his closing speed wasn't flashing on the play. However, on that ball, Charles Davis (who is supposedly a 4.50 guy) closed on Williams very quickly.

3. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Like I said to you, Mel doesn't have him listed in his top 95 corners.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He ought to. Decent size, great speed, had some good battles with a WR that people are calling a first or second round prospect. He let up a long one to Williams because the Tulane QB gave a real nice pump fake and I think he bit on it. Later though they ran a deep isolation play to Jeremy and John Destin tracked the ball in the air much better than Jeremy, intercepted it.

I'm downloading Destin's games against Oklahoma and Boise State.