CB Jimmy Smith -- Red Flagged ...
9 replies
Todd, your man Jimmy Smith (CB) is being targeted with big Red Flag right now ... admitted drug use, etc ... wonder how far he'll fall -- far enough for a 2d or 3d RD pick ??
I've done drugs too. I admit it!
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
I can't see us investing in a CB before the 4th round if we do at all. Especially with Will Allen supposedly coming back(?).
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Stringer Bell wrote:
I can't see us investing in a CB before the 4th round if we do at all. Especially with Will Allen supposedly coming back(?).
why? you don't like to groom a position in advance so we're not stuck possibly having to reach for a player of need and then play him as a rookie which could ultimately jeopardize a season?

"PHINANALYST wrote:
Todd, your man Jimmy Smith (CB) is being targeted with big Red Flag right now ... admitted drug use, etc ... wonder how far he'll fall -- far enough for a 2d or 3d RD pick ??
I'm not sure if he falls that far, but I hope he does! He seems like he's matured and grown from this, but I could be wrong.
This could also be a last second smoke screen for teams like TB or Pitt (and Balt/Philly) who could really use the guy.

"ToddsPhins wrote:
why? you don't like to groom a position in advance so we're not stuck possibly having to reach for a player of need and then play him as a rookie which could ultimately jeopardize a season?
Groom for what position? We already have two young starters at CB, and another who look like hes being groomed for the nickel role.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
this one doesn't look like a smoke screen, failed drug tests, admitted usage, kids out of wedlock ... way too much for smoke screen. no one doubts his talent though .....
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Groom for what position? We already have two young starters at CB, and another who look like hes being groomed for the nickel role.
I was under the impression that Nolan is better suited for the outside.

"ToddsPhins wrote:
I was under the impression that Nolan is better suited for the outside.
Impression is an understatement. Carrol doesnt have the feet to play inside. If anything we'd move Vontae inside when we go nickel. Ideally, we draft a guy play specifically for that role (and return kicks?). With the amount of 3-4 wide sets in the NFL now, you almost have to have a "nickel" corner. Simply using your 3rd corner is asking for trouble.
"ToddsPhins wrote:
I was under the impression that Nolan is better suited for the outside.
Are the two mutually exclusive? The nickel CB is the one that plays in nickel formations.
Either way, I'm not sure why you would spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on someone that wont be playing in your base formation. Especially when your QB had a negative TD-INT ratio.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”