1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casserly: Flynn avg Qb outside of system

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by padre31, Jan 18, 2012.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012...ly-thinks-skins-should-not-target-matt-flynn/

I like that Casserly sees Philbin and Flynn as a package deal, but agree overall, not much about Flynn commends him as anything but an avg Qb outside of the Packers system and players.

2. khend_98

khend_98 New Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Medina, OH
    I think it is tough to make a judgement on Flynn based on what he has done in GB - I think Philbin would have the best insight of anyone on whether he is the real deal or not. If the Dolphins were smart, they would feel Philbin out during the interview process and get his thoughts before deciding to trade up in the draft or make him a deal in free agency (assuming the Packers don't franchise him).

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Aj Feely part deux.

Now, Flynn might end up being a good starting QB. But fellas....he has started, what? 3 games? With nothing to lose. In that system no less. Remember Aj Feely looking like the bomb coming out of Reid's Philly offense? What did he do here? Matt Moore......maybe a bit less.

I honestly don't see Flynn being THAT MUCH better than Moore here. But I hope I am wrong if we get him and Philbin.

Ohio Fanatic, maynard and Desides like this.
  4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Casserly was also adamant!! that Newton would bust.

Good for his opinions, but like any, take em with a grain of salt.

gafinfan and Fin D like this.
  5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The system/QB fit matters. It matters less if the QB is ridiculously good like Marino, but it would be stupid to sign Flynn and then put him in a different system.

6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    "But if we bring in the system with the QB....."

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, Imo that is a truism until a Qb reaches a level of competence, then the system doesn't matter, or determine success per se.

Every Qb plays in a system, some have skillets more apt for one over another, Flynn according to the packers beat reporter did pick up arm strength in GB, not unusual if a Qb is dilligent, but Finley/Jennings/Driver/Nelson not following him where ever he ends up, and that to me is the difference.

8. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't think anyone is comparing Flynn to outrageously talented Qbs like Manning, Marino, etc that could basically just carry teams in any system, he's a guy that if you sign him obviously you play a similar system or plan to implement a similar system.

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think you're wrong. If a QB is very talented like a Marino or a Luck, then you can probably put them in any system and they can make it work. A guy like Flynn though has a more limited skill set. Different systems emphasize and de-emphasize different skills. Regardless of how much development Flynn has, he will never be a strong armed, Coryell system QB. He will always be more successful in a west coast type system that emphasizes his quick decision making, short area accuracy and mobility.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, for me, a Qb hits a level of competence that allows them to succeed in any offensive system.

Just out there, YMMV

11. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That's just not reality. I'm surprised it's even a debate. QBs change teams (or teams change the systems with a new regime) and the QB goes bad to good or good to bad all the time.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Of course.

will be watching to see if luck wins the sb in...3 yrs wasn't it?

13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I never set any arbitrary time frame Luck to win a SB. There are too many factors outside of that one decision.

As for the actual topic, I'll give you an analogy that might clarify things for you. I'm a martial artist. Most people would say I'm pretty good. Not many would say I'm not at least competent. Over the years I've been exposed to several styles. In very general terms, some styles favor one strike, one kill. Others favor multiple, rapid strikes. I am not a big guy. I am strong for my size and my technique is good enough that I get much more power from my one strike than many others my size would, but compared to the power a much larger guy can generate, I'd be out of my league. That's not to say I can't and haven't beat much larger opponents. I have, but I did it using a style that fit me. Flynn has some physical limitations that would be a disadvantage in a system that emphasized them, but you put him in a system that emphasizes his best talents and he can go up against anybody, even QBs with more overall talent.

14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that's so not true.