1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carson Palmer retired

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by finyank13, Jul 26, 2011.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Wow...honestly I didnt think it was actually going to happen, how sad.....what a boob Mike Brown is....

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/07/26/brown-still-adamant-about-not-trading-palmer/

2. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    lolwut

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Wow. I figured the bengals would eventually give in. Surprised to see hime actually have to retire.

Guess everyone here needs to scratch him off their wishlists.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Whenever the Dolphins embarass themselves to the fullest, I just think "Thank god we're not the Bengals".

5. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Exactly! The Bengals make us look like the Steelers or Pats with the way they run their clownshow

6. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm kind of glad Mike Brown didn't give in. It shows balls. Carson signed a contract, he should honor it. While we don't know what was said inside the office, I think CP could have gone about it a different way.

7. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Except for if Carson sucked, then the Bengals could cut him and not pay him anymore. Kind of like they will likely do with Chad Johnson and Antwan Odom.
    Its a terrible double standard that I am surprised was not addressed in the new CBA.

Ask all the Bengals players who will be cut about "honoring a contract."

8. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    So why does the owner have to give in all the time? Sure the easy way out would have been to trade him, I agree.

9. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    It doesnt show balls, it shows poor business sense and stupidity.

Here is what we know:
    The Bengals have been terrible for years, save for 1-2 in between years.
    CP signed a contract a few years ago based on the assumption that the Bengals could stay competitive.
    The Bengals, the only team without a GM because their owner is too silly and cheap to get one, failed to stay competitive again, with 1-2 years the exception.
    Palmer asked for a trade privately and when denied, asked publicly which was again shot down.
    Palmer threatened to retire and followed on his threat.

You know as well as I do that when the qb, the leader of your team, wants out then you can't keep him because its impossible to lead in a place where you dont want to be. Ever try managing for a company while looking for a job? Ever try being somewhere for an extended period of time where you just didnt want to be? Now try getting 52 other players to believe in and follow you. Its not possible.

So it backs ownership in to a corner and while none of the alternatives are great, Palmer is now 30, hes got a big contract and he will never play another down for you so he says.
    A) You can trade him while his value is still high (now) and maximize your return. Do SOMETHING to help your pitiful football team now that you have already drafted his replacement anyway.
    B) You can let him sit for a year and try again next year. For arguments sake lets say a team like Miami who is an average team is willing to give you their 2nd rounder (top 45 selection) this year. You know Palmer's value will only depreciate as he gets another year older and distances himself further from the game of football.
    C) You can do nothing like Mike Brown is doing and let your garbage team wallow in the depths of your stupidity (not you personally).

Which would you choose?

The owner never has to give in and the way the rules are written in this league they rarely do what with the way franchise and transition tags are written as well as the ability to do what brown is doing. Its the player who usually gets hit. Look at a guy like Marion Barber about to be cut from Dallas. He never had a chance to see the 4.25M he was owed going in to his age 28 season (7th year) because rarely do backs make it 7 years at a high level, especially backs with his running style. Why is it ok for an owner to cut him when the owner agreed to the contract too?

Its a two way street dude. There are cases the player is right and there are cases the owner is right. Barber is clearly not worth 4.25M so ownership should have the right to cut the fat if thats how they feel. Conversely if a player wants out because the owner cant keep the team competitive because hes cheap then why cant the player go somewhere he can win?

Soundwave and finyank13 like this.
  10. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, if Mike Brown does trade him, then he is giving in.

11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Right but is pride more important then doing whats best for your football team? Especially when the fans of your team have stood by your crappy ownership for years? I mean its not like this is a Logan Mankins situation where hes playing for a title contending team.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cool story.

13. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It shows pride before prudence IMHO.

Mike Brown has consistently proven that his ego comes before the team and this is yet another example of it.

I understand that you don't want to let players bully you as an organization. But in this situation, you've got a valuable commodity that will fetch a minimum #2 pick. You owe it to your team to collect on that pick. Especially when you went ahead and drafted Palmer's replacement. It's no different than when Brown turned down TWO #1's for Chad Johnson in 2008.

Except this time he drafted Palmer's replacement, which makes it even dumber.

Palmer is well within his right to retire just like anybody else. From all appearances, he's been quiet. He hasn't run his mouth or said even a single word in public. It's pretty simple for him.

Palmer: "Please trade me."
    Brown: "No."
    Palmer: "I just can't do it here anymore. The passion is gone. I'm worth a high draft pick, might as well get something for me. Otherwise I'll just retire."
    Lewis: "We've moved on, sir. We could certainly use an infusion of talent. And an actual scouting department."
    Brown: "No."
    Palmer: "Suit yourself."
    Brown: "God I've got such big balls. Now if I only had more draft picks...."

;)

DolfanJake and Boik14 like this.
  14. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    What made you think Mike Brown would give in? The Redskins offered him two 1st round picks for Ochocinco and he turned them down.

15. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Seriously, that's emblematic of Mike Brown. He doesn't rid his locker room of malcontents. He handcuffs his team to them and swallows the key.

Genius.

16. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Explain San Diego and V. Jackson then.
    I understand your point of view and I agree with most of it, but if you start letting one crybaby get his way, then what?
    We all know that the Bengals are a strange group.

17. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Unreal can he come out of retirement now?
    Farve 2.0? Or does Brown completely have him by the gonads?

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    V Jax is entirely different. Vincent Jackson has 2 DUI's and an a gameday citation for driving without a license and he wonders why SD wont give him a long term deal. Palmer has been a good soldier with no off field issues despite the fact that playing for the bengals seems to make everyone else want to drink and drive

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I don't know man did you see the photos of Palmer's house during and after last season? Bengal fans weren't doing him any favors......
    No wonder the wife wanted to get out of that hell hole and move back to California.

20. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Good question, I think his current deal says hes property of Bengals for two more years regardless of active/inactive/retired status. I'll wager Carson sits out the year while he rehabs his shoulder/knee (maybe even surgery) then reevaluate if he wants to play again.