1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carl Peterson's track record

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Oct 19, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/Chiefspage8.html

The writer does a fair and balanced job of Peterson's highlights and lowlights, he sounds like a man tool, but at least an average or above average GM from a player personnel standpoint, but he raised prices too aggressively.

2. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

On another note :

Peterson was the GM for the Philadelphia-Baltimore Stars of the USFL, a team which dominated during the years of the USFL, winning 41 of 54 regular season games, and 7 of 8 post season games, with the USFL Championship 2 out of the 3 years.

Just some interesting tid bits of history I found while looking this up....

Dan Marino was the first player taken in the USFL draft by the LA Express.

Philadelphia had a dominant defense..."Dog House Defense" led by Sam Mills who went on to earn several Pro Bowls in the NFL.

Kelvin Bryant was the main offensive threat for Philadelphia, the RB out of UNC. He was the 1983 USFL MVP.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    USFL had several NFL Hall of Famers playing in it at one time, Reggie White, Steve Young, the Stars were the dominant team but the NFL convinced Veterans Stadium to cancel their lease and that more or less was the end of them.

Peterson is a competent, but very very abrasive type of guy, and as the article shows he squeezed Chiefs fans for every nickel he could, and that really pissed the fans off and caused a deep seated hatred for King Karl.

As for Peterson the talent scout, he was among the first GM's to seriously scout the Arena Leagues and the CFL for talent, something Jeff Ireland saw the value of as a Peterson hired Scout in KC..something he has taken to another level in Miami.

4. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

By the way here is my prediction on how this plays out....

If we win 10 plus games and win a game in the playoffs, I believe Ireland and Sparano survive at least through 2011. I cant see Ross who is a smart business man first and foremost, changing the organization if it is CLEAR we are on the right path.

If we win less than 10 games...and dont make the playoffs, then I think you will see Ross make a move unless it was clear there was a reason we lost so many games, i.e the I word we must not mention.

If he brings in Carl Peterson, I can see them bringing in John Gruden.

Few reasons I hope this never happens. I love Tony Sparano as a head coach. Im holding out major hope that they somehow bring in Chad Pennington to be on our coaching staff.

And, I love John Gruden as a football commentator on MNF. I havent enjoyed watching MNF so much since the old days of Frank Gifford, Al Michaels, and Dan Dierdorf....and Michaels and Dierdorf. I mostly liked those teams because thats who I grew up listening to...so they were more nostalgic then anything.

5. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    But he only want to the playoffs six time in 20 years and those were in the first 10 years, I don't know about anybody else but if a gm can't win a superbowl with the same team he's been with 20 years than he sucks.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I see it differently Vt, reading through that what struck me was how much money Peterson made for the Hunt Family, enough to remake Arrowhead Stadium, if the Dolphins turn a good profit this year, and make acceptable progress, say 9-7 with Henne starting 16 games, Irish and Sparano are re-upped to 3 yr deals.

If we bomb and go 6-10, then there probably will be changes or at least no extensions offered, which imho would be a mistake as the roster has gotten younger and better, as any objective Football Personnel dude can tell.

And the Dolphins have a singularly difficult schedule this yr, the AFCN and NFCN are tough tough divisions to face for what, 6 games? As an objective football manner it would be unwise to make a major decision based on that performance.

That is difficult to tell right now, Peterson, if hired, which I do not believe will happen, has hired both Marty Schottenheimer and Dick Vermeil, polar opposite approaches to football, one is old school, the other cried often.

I think if Sparano is retained, Penny will sign elsewhere for a chance to start, but winds up back in Miami ala Jason Garrett.

Gruden can make a blowout seem more interesting than it is, funny thing is the Tampa Bay media panned his selection for MNF as "he is not funny or interesting" based on Gruden's pressers with them...

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The Vermeil Chiefs were a good team, they were just not quite good enough, they would finish 9-7 or 8-8 and just miss the playoffs.

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Priest Holmes agrees ^

9. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Peterson sucks, and isn't coming here.

10. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

I lived in KC from 92-05 and I can tell you this man is really full of himself. He was a fair man tho, he treated every player on his team the same....$hitty! Even DT was put through hell by this man. If Ross wants separation from the fan base and the team then he better hurry and get this guy in here!

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    14 of 15 yrs of ticket price increases along with jacking up paid parking prices and the man was not loved..as in "if on fire, do not urinate upon".

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    With the recent events, it is a good time to bump this thread.

Do notice, he resigned in KC on 12/16..hmmm

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's imperative that you not allow Carl Peterson to talk you out of drafting a QB in this QB-heavy draft, and he WILL try.

Boik14 and smahtaz like this.
  14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ryan Kalil...so tempting...Tackle for the next 10 yrs..'kay....

Peterson is very competent CK, one of the reasons I posted this over a year ago was there were a lot of things said about him that were not quite what the record showed.

I do see 2 poor coaching hires, Cunnningham and Edwards, and some draft picks that look remarkably like the ones Ireland makes...save for Gonzalez...we don't do that here...

15. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    It may have pissed the fan base off, but his Kansas City Chiefs teams in the 1990s sold out 149 games in a row. So, if he was pinching the fans for every penny, it didn't effect the bottom line much. Plus, Arrowhead Stadium is the largest capacity stadium in the NFL, and they still sold out 149 consecutive games.

Some other things that may not be known. Carl took over the Eagles as Director of Player Personnel in 1976. Dick Vermiel was hired as head coach in that year as well. By his third season, the Eagles made the playoffs for the first time in 18 years, and by his 5th season, Philadelphia was in the Superbowl.

The Philadelphia Stars were 41-13 under his leadership afterwards. His head coach at that time was Jim Mora Sr.

Then, he turned around a KC Chiefs organization that hadn't been to the playoffs since the Hank Stram days.

IMO, Miami isn't as bad off as those teams, but this guy has a strong history of going into poor situations and completely turning them around in a short period of time. His eye for head coaching talent is undeniable, IMO, despite the fact that he hired Herm Edwards as his last head coach.

16. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm still not convinced, though your evidence is noted. The reason? Stephen Ross is dead set on getting that young quarterback. Carl Peterson just happens to be the guy that Ross probably listens to the most. Ross does consult with a couple of others, most notably former Peterson farm hand Tony Dungy, but I have a feeling that he gets most of his advise from Peterson. IMO, Stephen Ross hasn't come up with the idea of getting a young quarterback on his own, just as I don't think he came up with the idea to pursue Jim Harbaugh on his own. Someone is giving him this advise. Maybe it isn't, but I'd almost put money on Carl Peterson being the guy that is telling him he needs to get the quarterback position solved with a young guy, and IMO, the fact that he never really had an opportunity to select an elite guy at the top of the draft makes him think this even more.

17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Which is one of the reasons why I started this thread last yr KB, I'd thought Karl was the football equivalent of an idiot king when if you look at it, he actually did as good of a job as you will find.

The Hunts are big big into the Rooney Rule, I'd bet if you looked at the timing of the Edwards trade, you'd see why he MAY have been hired.

Gunther Cunningham was also a regrettable HC selection, it could be said Peterson does better when he does not try to leave the experienced HC types as his guys.