1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car trouble

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Clark Kent, Jun 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    My radiator keeps getting air in it, and the temp gauge is going bonkers...

Basically, last fall I noticed my car was getting heat. It would just be cold air for a while. The temp gauge (Which was always resting just below the half way point) would spike over the half way point and then I would have heat. I took it to one of my dads friends and he thought it might be the thermostat. He was wrong. He flushed the radiator and the problem stopped. He figured it was an air bubble.

However a few months later the car started doing it again. I bled the radiator and the problem stopped. But came back a few days later.

I have been doing this for awhile now. Until today. The car's temp spiked into the red. I pulled over on the highway and let it cool for a bit. The temp never spiked up again...

Anyone have any idea wtf is wrong with my radiator?

P.S. It's a Buick Century.

2. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    A 90's Buick?

I know they have issues with their intake gasket failing, you could get that checked to try and pinpoint the problem. It could also be a blockage in the radiator.

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Could indeed be a vacuum leak via intake manifold or anywhere else cooling is being done.

One thing I would check for often is water in your oil (Or vice versa).
    I had a 2004 Olds and indeed they have a SERIOUS flaw in that they actually had a cooling manifold that was fed by the radiator and was located in the freakin Oil pan. They were trying to cool the oil in the oil pan but didn't take into account the ramifications should a leak occur, which very promptly at 100,000 miles it tends to.
    Actually, Many GM vehicles between early 90's to early 2000's did this

Clark Kent and like2god like this.
  4. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Thanks guys.

It's a 2002 Buick, with 78k miles. I tried to get in touch with my mechanic but he's not around... So I'm having the car towed to a Buick garage... Nothing like anticipating an *** raping.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Good luck brother. Let us know what you sind out.
    Sincerely hope you don't run into the same trouble I did. I flushed that system at least 30 times, then had it done profesionaly 2 more times.:pity:

6. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Ding ding doing. This is pretty much it. Although the car isn't even at 100k yet (75 ish). They had to fix a bunch of stuff (blown gaskets, something in the intake manifold) and change the oil because it had radiator fluid in it. Thanks for your post:up: