1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car choice help please

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Gametime111, Jun 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Gametime111

Gametime111 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    ok so right now i have a dogdge dakota, 2001, and that thing is a gas guzzler. It takes around 100$ to fill up and i was just looking for some help

1. There are two cars i am currently looking at, brand new 2008's either a Chevy Cobalt or a Pontiac G5, Both in a dark midnight blue color

2. Are one, or both of them in that "chick" car classification?

3. Ive always thought that black rims look good on cars, i was wondering if black rims would look good on a dark blue car
    ..if so, does anyone know of a good reliable source for black rims?
    i was lookin around and found that www.wheelmax has 4 black rims for about 400$

that sounds kinda cheap so im not really sure if i can rely on them

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    :up:

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Get a 1991 - 1997 Geo Metro. They get over 50 MPG. You can probably find one for just over a 1,000. Car payments suck. Financing a depreciating asset sucks. Rims are a waste of money, especially on economy type cars that you're looking at. Not trying to pee on your parade, just trying to get you to avoid some of the car mistakes that everyone makes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
    Idahophin, Pagan and Gametime111 like this.
  3. NYFinFan

NYFinFan Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Long Island, New York
    Neither of them are considered "chick" cars. I test drove the base model of the Cobalt and the SS version of the Cobalt. Never drove in a car with electric steering before but it was very smooth. Only downside I remember to it were the blindspots in the car. They were huge and I remember I didn't like that at all.

The G5 I've never driven but I heard it was a very good car, it also looks very good. It's gotten very good reviews. One of my friends bought one and he loves it.

Gametime111 and azfinfanmang like this.
  4. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

I would stay away from the Cobalt, heard alot of bad things from people who have them. I understand where your coming from, I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab and drive 44 miles a day to/from work. :pity:

Gametime111 likes this.
  5. Gametime111

Gametime111 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    yeah i havnt test drove either of the cars yet, but i did sit in the base model of a cobalt and the blind spots were pretty bad.

anyone have any opinions on black rims on a dark blue car?

or know of any good rim sites?

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Not sure about Dark blue, but I have the dark anthracite rims on my black mustang. I think it depends on the make of the car.

[​IMG]

alen1, orangefinfan and Pagan like this.
  7. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    melbourne,fl
    get a honda civic or mazda 3. american economy cars blow

8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I drove the cobalt as a rental for about a week and it was fine. Decent pick up for an economy car, steering was fine. Didnt seem loose or cheap in anyway but again a car rental place will have a higher level of maintenance then most people will. I havent driven the G5 so i cant speak on it.

Black rims on a blue car is pretty bad from what I have seen. After toying with the idea, I stuck to silver alloys on my 2006 Camry SE (which I love by the way).

9. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    this is the best site to see wheels on your car.

http://www.tirerack.com/

and I would also steer clear of American economy cars. I had a Pontiac for 3 years and had to replace the power window motors 3 times, all the weather stripping came off the windshield, the antenna fell off, etc.

The Mazda 3 is a great car. I had one before I got my MINI Cooper. great gas mileage, nice looking, and actually pretty fun.

10. Gametime111

Gametime111 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    That ****s badass

Black rims on a black car are sickkk, but its a pain in the neck to keep clean, one little spot on the car stands out

11. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro....2009 Toyota Corolla. Looks sharp and gets 35 mpg.

[​IMG]

PS - Nice Cobra HardKore...any mods?

12. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nothing too serious. Upgraded the exhaust and added a Flowmaster (typical stuff). Havent done anything to the engine. I thought about upgrading the throttle body and plenum for a few hundred bucks (supposed to be a nice little upgrade) but havent gotten around to it.

Id appreciate any affordable mod suggestions if you have any.

13. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    It depends bro. If you're not supercharged get a CAI and a custom tune. Amazing how much extra hp for so little money.

Nice choice on the Flows. I went with JBA on mine. Liked the fact that there was no drone in the sound.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  14. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I dont really know if I can be suggesting other sites, but Hardcore try moddedmustangs.com they have all kind of things available there

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  15. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You can suggest other sites bro. I think Celt and the guys are cool with it (unlike some other site who shall remain nameless)

I'll check it out :up:

16. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    this has turned into a 'Stang lovefest in here. :)

to OP: cobalt & G5 are both good cars. i've driven both, (actually had both as rentals before). I liked the Pontiac better personally, but if i had to i would buy either. If i got the cobalt i'd HAVE to get the LT though, as the base model was just tooo crappy. The G5 was just fine, felt sporty, looked sharp, etc...

if you're open to used cars, i'd recommend an older civic or a used Scion xA or xB... all of them are pretty sturdy, get great gas mileage, and would be cheaper than a new domestic :up:

and black wheels on a blue car looks like *** 8 times out of 10. you can pull it off, but it has to be the right blue and the right wheels.

Gametime111 likes this.
  17. Idahophin

Idahophin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Snake River Plain
    Nice ride. :up:

18. Gametime111

Gametime111 New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Thank you all that have put in some type of help, i am now leaning towards the silver color of the car.

was there any flaws that u noticed as u rented either of the cars?

19. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    im not sure if these cars are really fuel efficient to be honest. i thought the G5 and Cobalt had a lil bit of zoom to them. and im not big on blue cars, but with the black rims..it could look kewl.

as was suggested earlier, a toyota corrolla would be a good, efficient way to go...or maybe the ford fusion hybrid?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Great lookin ride bro.