1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cap impact 2010

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LandShark13, Jan 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    With all the usual talk going around, you know, who we should draft what free agents are available etc. I never really stopped to think about the true value of an uncapped year and its ability to cut underachieving players without the usual cap impact. Here is a great article on it from the Miami Herald. Let me know what you think, not only how it can/will effect us but players around the league one would expect to be cut. For example I would be very supprised if the raiders didn't cut JaMarcus Russell.

jason8er likes this.
  2. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Wow! An uncapped year would see a serious unloading of under performing players with high salaries. And why not? This would be a gift that any team would be stupid not to take advantage of. No cap means no cap hit. This could get ugly for some.

3. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    This is the one aspect on no CBA that I like. Teams can get out from under their mistakes by cutting players, and not worrying about the cap hit.

I believe we will see a number of name players released. It's a good thing for teams, fans, and the NFL. It will add even more interest to the off season, as well as forums. :)

I would not mind it being added to a new CBA every five years.

4. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    The other side of this is that teams can sign high priced players and pay them their big signing bonus without pro-rating the cap hit. With a new CBA expected in 2011, it will not affect money to spend.

For example, we could give Wilfork a $20-30M signing bonus without being concerned about how the cap hit will cut future spending.

This has all the makings of one WILD & CRAZY off season. I cannot wait.

5. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm fairly certain that isn't how it actually works, which is not a tremendous surprise given the source.

Here's an explanation I've seen

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If it were true DPate, would you have any suprise cuts ?

7. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    One of the Directors of the NFLPA is easily a better source than what you gave. JMO. :)

I addition, I did a bunch of research some time ago, and it is that way.