1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can The Miami Dolphins Afford To Lose Charles Clay?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shamegame13, Feb 24, 2015.

1. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we lose him, I'm gonna have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. No reason to lose him really. IMO, if all else fails, he is worth the Franchise Tag for this season.

MAFishFan, Stitches and Fin4Ever like this.
  3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm of the opinion you need to franchise Clay if it comes down to it.

If you let him walk, you're thrust into an off-season with very few plausible replacements and a lot of teams competing for them. You're almost certainly going to be over-paying or over-drafting someone, and even then in the best case scenario you might not be getting the same quality. I'd rather over-pay for him this season than give a multi-year deal to Julius Thomas.

That being said, I think Maxx Williams is going to be really appealing to Bill Lazor. But again, I'd rather carry both guys this year if it came down to it. Especially when you're revamping wide receiver already.

Stitches and Fin4Ever like this.
  4. pmj

pmj New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    I really like Walford from the U, as he is a bigger body and can be more of a redzone threat, but this draft is so weak at TE he will probably go in the 2nd. Have to try to keep Clay.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  5. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I could see Clay blowing up somewhere else. Unless we draft a TE high or sign another one losing him just creates another big hole to fill. I don't know about a long term deal if he can't be more productive but at least franchising him one year seems like a good idea. Can we give him a tag that at least gives us a draft pick if we lose him?

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Short answer... No. We can't.

MAFishFan and djphinfan like this.
  7. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    We are probably jettisoning two, if not three receivers. We need Clay.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he's young, good, and hard working, you don't let your players walk once proven..sign his ***.

resnor likes this.
  9. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Virgil Green would be a nice consolation...it's a gamble, similar to the one the Giants took when they signed Martellus Bennett away from Dallas, but they recognized his talent despite being a backup and figured he could be a feature TE, and the gamble paid off. This could be the same situation, Green is actually about the same size as Clay but he's faster, a bit longer, can jump much higher and he's a better blocker.