1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cameras

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by UCFinfan86, Jul 31, 2011.

1. UCFinfan86

UCFinfan86 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Alright guys I have another question. It is my wife's birthday this month and she wants a nice camera. She currently has one of those small digital cameras but wants one of the bigger ones with the lenses that stick out(Cannon? Nikon?). I don't know anything about cameras (have never owned one, only use ones from my phone). You guys have any suggestions on specs I should look for? brands? places to buy them at? I am looking to stay in the $300-$400 range but I haven't priced them yet so I am not sure if that is under or over valuing them. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

2. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Now what do you mean by lenses that stick out? When looking at classes of cameras you have point and shoot and DSLR as two of the more popular types.

Point and shoots look like this:

sony-point-and-shoot.jpg

DSLRs look like this:

nikon-dslr-d5000-ambience-22.jpg

I would interpret a camera with a lens that sticks out to mean a DSLR camera. However Nikon has just come out with a point and shoot with a extremely long zoom on it, it's in one of the more recent ads Ashton Kutcher has done for them. If you are able to respond with a little more specifics as to what she is looking for, I'd be glad to help.

3. UCFinfan86

Mar 23, 2008
    Well I was talking about the DSLR. I know one of the main features she wants on the camera is the ability to zoom far away and still have a perfect picture. Her current camera get blurry the farther you zoom in and that is one of her biggest gripes.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

4. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Cool, just wanted to make sure. For the most part I'd say most DSLR's by Nikon are going to be great cameras. I work in the photo lab at a Walgreens, and some of the best pictures I've developed have been from Nikon's. I mean some of these look so good that I have to start explaining to the customer about our professional copyright policy, when they tell me they were taken by amateurs.

I don't have a DSLR yet (can't quite afford it), so I can't give you too many specs, but I can at least offer the basics. Make sure whatever you get is at least 12 megapixels, I believe most cameras now a days are but don't settle for less even if it means a cheaper camera. Also do you have kids or grandkids? If so make you want to make sure you get something that has a fast shutter, and a quick reload time so you don't miss any moments while they are running around. Also I'm not sure how good of a camera you'll be able to get in your price range though. Many of them start around $400 dollars just for the body (no lens included). You may be able to get a bundle where you can get the camera and a low mm lens (for just everyday close photography for about $500 or $600). Unfortunately, that won't cover a telephoto zoom lens. That will be seperate and fairly expensive, but that is the nice thing with interchangeable lenses you can slowly add to your collection. Lastly, and this is strictly my opinion, the bargain basement DSLR's aren't worth spending your money on. If they are cheap, it is probably for a reason.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer what I can, but I might suggest you check this out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/dslr-buying-guide/

It will probably be able to explain things much better than I ever could.

5. UCFinfan86

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks guys. I actually went to hhg last night and talked with an employee. They have the canon t3 rebel on sale right now. U get the lense, camera, bag, and 8mb card for $700. I am thinking that might be the way to go. I appreciate your guys input!!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I picked up a D40 a couple years back for a good price on Ebay. I'm sure you could find a good deal on a lightly used DSLR, or even craigslist. I understand if you're against used, but you can find great deals if you keep your eyes open.

7. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Megapixels are overrated, the lens is what really matters.

Stitches likes this.