1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Feb 8, 2011.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    what do you think? another Michael Vick? how about a Josh Freeman? is he that good? how big a gamble? is he worth it? where will he go in the draft? the upside, the downside, what do you think?

2. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I like the guy ,but he could get faster with a little weight reduction

3. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
  4. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Why don't you read Draft Winds at the Sun Sentinel and find out?

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I read somewhere he's too dumb to play QB...:shifty:

6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Not NFL ready, bad pocket awareness, bad accuracy, bad mechanics.
    May not have the smarts.
    Huge project at the next level.
    Pass.

bamadolphin likes this.
  7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    He will dominate the NFL just like he dominated the toughest conference in college football. He's extremely talented and by all accounts, he's a hard worker.

We should trade up into the top 10 to draft him. He will lead us to the promised land. If we don't draft him, he'll be winning Superbowls for that other team. Write it down.

texanphinatic and SICK like this.
  8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    He will have to sit and learn the NFL game for two years before he will be ready to hit the field. Newton would be a wasted draft pick and a waste of time.

Bust!

9. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Boomer loves his mechanics and calls him "very accurate". He actually studies this stuff as opposed to whatever the hell it is you do...

Boomer likes this.
  10. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    First off, that 2 year estimate on your part is absurd. Really? 3 years? Not 2 or 4? What metric do you use for this?

Aaron Rodgers sat and learned the game for 3 years. Now, whether he needed to sit for three years we'll never know. But he sat for 3 years and now he's a top-5 QB in the league with a ring. Have some patience.

11. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    hide the laptops!!! So, during which of those years will he be returning the Heisman Trophy?

12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    So you make your judgement off of what another player has done? Or when another player is ready? That is how you see Newton. Wow that is your basis.
    I see a guy who doesn't play in a pro style offense who jumps when he throws has horrible footwork and won't be accurate at the next level. He has an arm and that is it. He is horrible in the pocket. Has he ever actually taken a snap under center. Next you'll say because Tebow has been successful in 3 or 4 games that Newton will be a star. Sorry bro this guy is way over rated. If we take him it will be a disaster. His first year he won't be close to being ready ditto with the second.

13. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    A worse version of Vince Young, anybody who watched him play will tell you that all he did last year was throwing it to open WR's or have his WR's make lucky plays (Ex: Hail marry Vs. South Carolina) There's nothing at all from watching him that makes you say "what a Nfl type throw" .

14. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    No. I was merely rebutting your 3 year criticism. Let me spell this out in an even simpler manner for you: Even if you are right that it will take him 3 years, I'd say it would be worth the wait. Rodgers waited 3 years and it worked out great for Green Bay. That's all I'm saying with the Rodgers comparison. You gotta be patient.

15. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Oh no! A black guy stole something when he was 18! He must be a "bad guy".

If you love Jesus, then you believe in forgiveness. If you believe in forgiveness, then you believe in second chances.

late again likes this.
  16. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    If this fanbase has to wait three years for a QB to develop their heads will collectively explode. The sense of urgency and need for now will be overwhelming. A first round pick would have to play now not three years from now.
    Newton is not the answer

17. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    im 100% behind the drafting of Cam Newton as our #1 and filling in the holes with free agency. You have to put things into perspective. Some people are a product of a system and sometimes in the NFL people out think themselves and pick players with something flasher etc.. Cam Newton needs to be our pick as he would open up a HUGE opportunity for this team to convert down, free up the running game, and assault the opposing defenses with his feet and hands.

I will leave it with this quote taken from that Youtube video. "HE HAS THE HIGHEST PASSER RATING IN NCAA DIVISION 1 HISTORY! And that's passing on SEC defenses"

Watch that video and don't come away impressed with his character. Cam Newton is a baller and hes exciting to watch. Look at his emotions!! hes firing up his team mates with that. Unlike Mr. Vanilla ho-hum we have now.

Ross this is the move to make just do it..

Also whats with this wait three years ****? Sam Bradford Rookie, Denver Did it for Superman, and The Jets did it with Sanchez 2 years ago I believe so why can't we? Were starting over anyway!

gunn34 and GARDENHEAD like this.
  18. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    That is with guys 4 and 5 yards open. His accuracy will fall when he has to fit balls into tight spaces. Just because he is firing up his team mates don't mean success. He will have to learn the NFL game before he can play. He is not an instant ready NFL QB.
    Sorry to break it to you.

19. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Now you're just making stuff up!

20. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm not quite as high on Newton as you are, but I can definitely see him hoisting the Lombardi.

Holy crap, we agree on something!

gunn34 likes this.
  21. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Waiting 2 years indicates a bust? A certain #12 in green and gold would disagree....

If a QB needs 2 years but becomes an elite/franchise/dominant QB , that to me is not a bust at all.

Waiting for a QB , if he is the right one isn't the worst thing , you could play around tryin to aquire one with other methods and waste 10 years...oh wait...we have already done that.

Boomer and GARDENHEAD like this.
  22. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Eventually Newton will be a bust. That is what I meant. :wink2:

23. dolfan22

A 1st round choice like Odrick you mean?

If this franchise flounders , and make no mistake we have become pretty much a poster franchise for that , for 3 more years AND we are no further ahead with a needed franchise QB , you think there will be no implosion or explosion?

24. dolfan22

Well if you believe he will be a bust , you certainly don't take him. We disagree on that though , however whether we agree or disagree on Newton , this teams NEEDS a bigtime bonafide QB , and waiting isn't the answer , imo.

Who and how do you propose we obtain to rectify the single most glaring reason for non success?

dolfan7171 likes this.
  25. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    i'm all for Newton... i like his pocket presence, his ability to move in the pocket, his arm and his toughness... his ability to handle an NFL playbook will be tested by coaches in interview and meetings, thats stuff we wont know but if he does well there, i'd be pumped to have him...

in talking to my Dallas friend we were talking trade down scenario's for him since most likely both Prince and Peterson will be gone by pick 9, and they'd probably focus on an O Tackle... being there is no true standout Tackle this draft (yet) a trade down for them and still being able to grab a good tackle is a possibility, and pick 9 i think would be a spot you could get newton...

Boomer likes this.
  26. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    As you can see from my sig, I predict a trade up with Dallas.

27. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    We both love the Miami Dolphins and we both love the USA!

Desides likes this.
  28. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Wait a minute, you just described Henne in a nut shell but you feel he just needs more time. What gives??? :dunno:
    And,I`m referring to Henne`s personal on-field skills so please dont bring up the OC`s play-calling.

the 23rd likes this.
  29. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the guy certainly looks like a handful on the field.
    if he could be the one to lead us to the SuperBowl,
    who cares about returning the Heisman
    heard/read so many negative things about the guy,
    that I'm really impressed he could even steal a Heisman trophy
    seems to me, after listening to the forum
    that we might do well to check him out thoroughly
    before just writing him off as a Heisman bust
    would be a real shame to pass over another opportunity
    without verifying he's not the real deal.
    hope they take a long & hard look before deciding

30. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Cracks me up how people are so impatient they want Henne out after his first full year as a a starter and say we have to get a QB right now but in the same breath would be willing to give Newton 2-3 years to sit and develop.
    The hypocrisy here is startling sometimes. :lol:

31. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    The expectations are never as high with a 2nd round pick as they are with with a 1st round pick. Everyone knows that.
    Newton better be instant starter if he comes here because the expectations will be mind blowing immediately.
    That is the way this fanbase rolls. :up:

32. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Perhaps its because Henne already showed his inadequacies,maybe?

33. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Fair enough

34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I'm glad I ran the thread

if & when we determine we have a franchise QB to draft
    whenever, that should be, I want us to take the shot

I'm on no band wagon, already heard too many negatives
    to change my mind @ this point about QB's in 2011
    having said that
    I want Ireland to check this one out very carefully
    the guy looks like an exceptional athlete on tape & warrants serious consideration

certainly won't hurt to have a good look

35. finserg

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    I really think rodger gets to much credit but its just me.He played a perfect game but ben pretty much gave him the game and almost took it from him.

I think Ben is a top 5 but not rodgers in my opinion.

36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Great idea Boom! You corporate shilling genius.

Boomer likes this.
  37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't want a QB who has Don King for a father. lol.

bamadolphin likes this.
  38. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I could careless about Newton's father. With Tony Sparano as our head coach, Cam Newton will fail miserably as a QB. I see no evidence that we have the creative staff in place to turn Cam Newton into a great NFL QB. And bringing him in with the hopes of running some version of the wildcat would be the worst idea ever.

I'd be okay with Newton if we had replaced the coaching staff, but since we didn't, I'd rather stay away.

39. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Ive been waiting since Marino. To wait 3 yrs seems like a lightning flash right now when it comes to Miami QB's.

40. dolfan22

Honestly that doesn't relate does it?

You were the one who said he would take 2 years , I said if he ( or another QB ) takes 2 years to develop , but develops into a franchise QB , that is worth waiting for , again my opinion.

Henne has been in the league 3 years , a starter for almost 2 and hasn't shown enough to have anyone feel secure with the QB position has he? After 18 starts , Marino said , that is a lot of starts in this league to know by ...

So , you are saying , or are you saying Henne is and should be enconsed as the starter and we should have no worries as to his ability to provide the leadership to take Miami to the Super Bowl?

I am not for getting rid of Henne just to do that , he has some value , especially at his salary , but while he hasn't been given any favors by this organization , he also hasn't battled through that to show he is capable of doing just that , if needed.

RGF likes this.