1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam Cameron: shades of Eli Manning

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GISH, Dec 4, 2007.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Everyone was all over Eli Manning's case after his bad game last week because he didn't seem to care or be angry with his performance.

Cam Cameron has been acting that way all season long. He spews out the same nonsense, such as: "We just had a chance to watch the film." "We know what needs to be fixed." "We're doing the best job we can to get this thing turned around" "I'm seeing the guys take steps in the right direction."

He never expresses any concern at all for the state of the 2007 Dolphins. And perhaps he doesn't care about our success this season. I have a huge problem with him conveying the message that it is okay to lose, as long as you "played hard". Thats BS! Everyone in the NFL plays hard. You get paid to win. Maybe winning this season wasn't as important, but it's gonna be really hard to change your expectations of your players next season without sounding like a complete hypocrite. Is obvious that Cam sugar coats everything for these players. Of course most of them are going to support him. He brought most of them to Miami, and he treats them like friends instead of employees.

It is so hard to say that I'm giving up on Cam, because I was one of his biggest supporters. But now, it's becoming very clear, he is not a head coach. Luckily I still like most of the roster moves we made in the past season, so I still have some hope for the next coach. I just hope that we can get it right this time around.

2. Believerinteal

Believerinteal New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    My favourite line is "This team has not quit."

3. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think he has ever implied it is ok to lose. I would like to see a bit more fire too, but getting angry won't do much at this point. There is something to be said about having a cool head and keeping the team together, which had been the case up until this week when there have been some comments of dissension. But at 0-12 that's going to happen. I'm hoping Cam uses this season as a learning experience and can improve on his mistakes next season. I don't think it would be a good idea to fire him after one season. That would bring even more confusion next year. I'd like to see him with a year under his belt and Beck in his second year in this system.

4. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

is he saying the same thing to the team that he is to the media? he may be much less neutral behind closed doors.

5. Finominal

Finominal New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I think Cam knows this team lacks talent. I think he has always known that. At the beginning of the season we did have Trent Green, Ronnie Brown, Chris Chambers, Zach Thomas, Yerimiah Bell, etc. If we still had all those guys healthy, we would have won all those close three point loses and probably had a few more wins too. We would still be a mediocre team in need of a couple of drafts, free agent signings, trades and off season roster moves to turn this into Cam’s team. He saw the Chargers turn around quickly, and I’m sure he was thinking it would take a couple of seasons. Nobody, Cam or anybody, saw what was going to happen with the injuries and events that made getting rid of Chambers strategically a good move at the time. There is no point in playing Cleo now, this season is pretty much coming down to us pulling the miracle win against the undefeated Patriots to preserve the Dolphin legacy. The season is done, we are getting the young guys some reps, but it is a sham to the paying fans that these last few games are meaningful in any way. Too bad they aren’t the slightest bit entertaining but what can Cam or anybody do to change that with the guys that are available to suit up on Sunday? Maybe let Beck air it out, go for broke and have some fun slinging the ball all over the field. Maybe he can bounce it off their hands a little further down the field and hope for a pass interference penalty or, as unlikely as it seems, maybe a catch every now and then… I’m just venting, man, I’m still bummed.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He was asked a couple of weeks ago about what he says to the team, and his reply was that he thinks the team has seen every side of him.

So, yes, he's much less neutral behind closed doors. The fact that he knows th come out and be calm and not have a Denny Green moment is indicative that most people bashing the guy haven't the first idea what they're talking about.

7. Kudda

Kudda Banned Troll

Dec 1, 2007
    giSh, get out of my brain.

Seriously, though, agree with every word of it. Cameron is a fine coordinator, whom given the right weapons can make an offense lethal with his playcalling. But from what i've seen of him he doesn't seem like HC material. And he most certainly doesn't seem like the guy that can reignate the competetive spirit of Dolphins football. The guy has no fire, like, at all.

Pretty soon this team is going to start to accept winning, and then we can all sit back and enjoy being the new browns of this era.

GISH likes this.
  8. hof13

hof13 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/332375.html

So other interesting quotes by Shula:

• If you're the head coach, you have to be the head coach of the entire team -- not just head coach of the offense
    • He said he ''didn't see any enthusiasm'' on the field or ''sideline'' in Sunday's loss to the Jets: ``You're looking for spirit and enthusiasm. It's got to come from the coaches and players.''
    • "You've got to have leadership from within -- guys that just won't stand for losing. . . . The coaches have got to give the leadership they're required to give.''

9. TOMMYGUNS

TOMMYGUNS New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hof13, my point exactly. As the coach, you gotta get these guys up, and keep them. If youre Hagan and M Booker and you drop that pass that would have gotten a first down, you have to let these guys know it, not bow you head like you lost your gum on the ground.
    JJ had other things on his mind (A boat in the Keys) but was a great drafter of talent. Wanny wasted the talent, Bates would have been an exciting experiment to watch, and Saban left too early to take this team anywhere, but in a third year, we may have seen the playoffs in his system.

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    They were all involved in our first 3 point loss. And Green, Chambers, and Brown were all involved in our first 5 losses. I do think we would have at least one win with Ronnie and Trent in the backfield. But, we wouldn't have much more than that. You must remember that we were losing before the injuries. The injuries are just the icing on the cake that lets us know that we definately wont be winning any time soon.