1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calorie Deficit is King – A simple guide to cutting fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Clark Kent, Jun 9, 2012.

1. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    Yeah, I know this is a lot of fun. And the twinkie diet guy who just ate packaged junk food, vegetables and a vitamin supplement, didnt count his macros got great results, dropped plenty of bodyfat, improved blood lipids, etc, ...as a matter of fact, he avoided meat to curb calories, so there's no way he was getting 1.263947% of his lean body mass in grams of protein eating that way....so, so much for IIFYM. You could have reduced your opening post to "eat less". Or "Weight Watchers", the calculations are easier.

And ultimate diet 2.0 being a difficult regimen doesnt answer the question of why McDonald saw cycling carbs, and not fat for instance, as effective. If a calorie is a calorie, it doesnt matter. So that question remains open in my mind.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    The nutrition Professor (twinke guy) was obese. As I already said, obese people can get away with almost any kind of calorie deficit (regardless of hitting macros) and lose almost pure fat. However, I bet you he got plenty of fat eating those twinkies despite not getting enough protein. When you get in the the normal/healthy body fat range of 24% and lower it becomes more and more essential to get protein right in order to spare essential LBM the leaner you get. i bet you he would of had an easier time if he did eat more protein though, as it's the most long term satiety of any macro.

The guy in the video I posted is 10% body fat or so. He is trying to get into fitness model shape (6%) eating his protein intake (200g=800 cals) and then allotting the rest of his calories to ice cream. This is why protein matters, this is why it's important to understand macros and their role. In fact, my original guide was pretty short and in line with "eat less". And all I know about WW is they count calories with a point system. 150kcal is 1.5 points. Good enough for obesity, I suppose. However it neglects the importance of macronutrients. This isn't a guide for obese people as you claimed it was, it's a guide for cutting fat, for any body fat. The details matter. So no... I don't think I want to reduce anything. In fact, the guide I provided is as simple and effective as it gets.

Not sure how much simple you want me to make the guide?

I don't know why, I just explained it to you a few posts back... but let's try again.

UD2.0 is a diet designed to cut body fat as quickly as possible without losing essential LBM. UD2.0 creates a massive calorie deficit (1200 calories a day max). In order to achieve this goal, Lyle wants carbs and fats cut to bare minimum. How many carbs are required to live/function normally? ZERO. They have great value in general life (and in this diet as I will explain in a sec) but are not required to live (nor do they stop you from getting lean). Fats on the hand, have a bare minimum limit. Without getting enough fat (over a two week period) there will be negative hormonal changes.

Protein intake is still very high (he recommends 1.5g x lbm). Throughout the very specific designed weight training and cardio guide Lyle created, the body will have used all of thepreviously stored glycogen (carbs stored in muscle for quick accessible energy). This is bad because without enough energy, lifts will decrease (fatiguing CNS even further). If lifts decrease, LBM will be lost as a result of the huge defiict. So lyle structures a very specific re-feed period (high carbs) to refill glycogen stores. When muscle glycogen is low, carbs calories do not even process. They're broken down into glucose and sent directly to the muscles.

Lyle manipulates manipulates macronutrients to create a caloric deficit that will not harm body composition (LBM) while shedding fat quickly on already lean individuals. Nothing to be confused about, really.

3. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    I am not confused. Realize that you have framed this thread from the perspective of LOSING FAT, not body recomp. So the open question in my mind is whether or not IIFYM is the best/simplest/efficient method for fat loss.

And BTW, I have several years of real world experience. I realize this is the Internet age, and people would rather get info than derive it, but I experimenting on my own body to know what works best for body recomp before the Internet was as ubiquitous as it is now. That, in my opinion is the best way to find what works, particularly for your own body.

I agree with a lot of what youare saying, particularly the value of protein. The very best results I have ever gotten FOR PURE FAT LOSS, however, are using something very similar to Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss (focusing on essential amino acids and fattty acids with refeeds). I used more than a simple scale to know just how much of the weight I was losing was actually fat. McDonald's approach for body recomp using CKD works well for preserving muscle mass as well, and for any bodyfat level even in the 20% range (measured by strength training results, as you will get weaker with muscular atrophy, stronger with hypertrophy). Lyle McDonald is a terrific resource for this stuff. He was not the pioneer on those approaches however, so its been around for a while.

My point: in reference to IIFYM, there are "better" ways to lose fat (RFL) or recomp (CKD). (Although one could argue that RFL and CKD ARE restricted versions of IIFYM) These are my opinions based on real-life experience. There are also simpler ways (WW). There are also easier ways (TD). This is based on my observation, although I have tried WW.

That is all I am trying to add. Don't take it as though I am challenging your IIFYM assertions. It all works. IIFYM is a generalization of several nutritional approaches that work. However, IMO IIFYM is complicated for someone not used to doing all those calculations, finding good food choices limiting what they eat. The paradox of choice. The fella in the other thread is having trouble eating 150g of protein. It is harder to meet that goal making certain food choices compared to others, eh?

Just trying to add to the discussion, not subtract.

The last word is yours....

4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's amazing how you can have a completely satisfying day's worth of food and still have a calorie deficit. Just tracking the calories makes all the difference in the world. So easy to stick to. And so easy to ignore for a weekend here and there, or a vacation, without completely destroying the progress made. I started tracking calories in mid April and have already lost 20 lbs. And I'm not really missing too many foods. Just cutting out a lot of extras that I never really needed that much anyway. Cheese on a sandwich, extra snacks throughout the day, candy and other junk. But even that stuff you can fit in here and there if you budget for it.

SICK and Clark Kent like this.