1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Tech Heads and Audio Philes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Samphin, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Ok, so recently my house was robbed. Well, not RECENTLY as it was back in late October. The point is, the jerks pretty much cleaned us out of everything electronic. They even went as far as stealing the batteries out of our home phones so we couldn't call the police.

Well, since then, insurance has paid for me to replace everything, which I have done (don't tell the robbers!). However, some genuinely awesome friends of mine raised money for me and my girl and recently handed us over $600 in gift cards to Best Buy to help us buy back some stuff.

Seeing as how we already have through insurance, we decided to get a surround sound system for the house. However, neither one of us is realy that knowledgeable about what we should get. I basically want it for my TV viewing experience more than anything else, but movies, music etc. is also a must.

So my question is, what should I get? I have a 50" plasma TV and a BIG living room in which to work. I also have an xbox360 and a HD-DVD players I would like to set up to whatever system I buy. Is anyone out there with any experience and within my price range (roughly 5 to 6 hundered) willing to help?

2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
  3. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I just got this system at Best Buy a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8504692&type=product&id=1186004964722

Sounds AMAZING! And its very nice that you can hook everything up to it and use it to switch between sources. Bad thing is to hook it up right will probably cost you $250-$300 in cables depending on how much stuff your connecting to it. I bought 3 HDMI cables, 2 Optical Audio cables, 2 Component Cables, and 100 extra feet of speaker wire. Granted, thats probably more than the average person will need. :)

FYI, I started a similar thread before I bought mine asking for advice. There is some good info there.

http://celtkin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727&highlight=Theater

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
    Samphin likes this.
  4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    As far as speaker systems go, try to buy Klipsch. Their sound quality is second to none.

5. Samphin

Thanks Celtkin. How much did the system, sans cables set you back?

6. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    You can't go wrong with Yamaha.

7. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    $529 + Tax

8. Samphin

You go and do something nice for me and I call you celtkin!?!?!?!?! :001_rolleyes: Sorry MOTION! :ffic:

9. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I'll let it go this time. :hi5:

10. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    This system has to be bought at best buy right?

11. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    [​IMG]

These are my speakers. 1200W set. I actually got it on sale for $379 at Best Buy. I also saw a good price on circuit city.com.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254603&type=product&id=1169512582087

They have outstanding sound. The speakers and subwoofers are powerful enough. They have more Watts than the Sony and Panasonic in its class. I put in Batman Begins in the DVD player and it sounds like I am in a movie theater. It has HDMI in and out if you want to hook up a game system. It also has Optical in. I love these speakers.

I hope your recovery goes well!

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Uhhhmmmm. Just a suggestion, but seeing as how you invested in HD-DVD *cough* Betamax II *cough*, you might want to invest in a blu-ray player ;-)

As for the other, that thread Motion is VERY informative. I am holding off, but am going to eventually Piece together my surround system

13. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007

no offense, but why would you spend that much on cables?

www.monoprice.com prolly would have cost you about 50-60 bucks for all that, and it's the same stuff....

i am partial to onkyo HTIB's (they sell at CC) but any HTIB with a real deal receiver (basically with a buttload of inputs on the back) should be cool

stay away from one with an included dvd player, imo.

14. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I know, I had Gift Cards and had to have them right away.:) I actually did get two HDMI cables from there. But one of them wasn't long enough so I just went out and bought the longer one at Best Buy.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  15. Samphin

Yeah the gift cards are non transferable.

16. Samphin

I didn't invest in HD DVD at all. It was a gift. I figure I might as well use it though, no?

17. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There's a new round of Blu-Ray players coming soon that have features incompatible with the first generation of devices (PS3 excluded.) It's best to actually wait for the second round.

18. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Buy Denon components if you can.