1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caleb Sturgis!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by keithjackson, Jun 10, 2014.

1. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Caleb Sturgis Arguably, he had a year we would probably like to forget. Common sentiment around here seems to lie somewhere between "off with his head" and "let's ignore last year and hope for better in 2014". You can't really blame them looking at the stats; only two kickers had a worse field goal percentage than his 76.5% (26/34), and his dismal 55.6% (5/9) against the AFC East is especially startling. Adding insult to injury is that Dan Carpenter went 91.1% (33/36) for Bufallo, including going 7/7 against the Dolphins. However the stats rarely tell the whole story, so I thought I'd take a closer look at his season:

Flying High If you're a kicker and you're drafted, you'd better be good - and if your're drafted in the fifth round, you'd better be great. At first, Sturgis was better than advertised. He outplayed Carpenter in camp, and throughout his preseason games he was perfect. He was so perfect that every kick seemed to be going straight down the middle. He was also perfect the first four games of the season, plus his first three attempts against Baltimore, and seemed every bit worth his lofty draft status by starting his career going 10 for 10.

Crashing Down to Earth With 38 seconds left in the game against Baltimore, the Dolphins give a Sturgis a chance at his first game winner, the only problem is it's unfortunately a 57-yarder. This is the first of his eight missed field goals of the season, though you can't rake him over the coals too much for this one. His next attempt is the following game against Bufallo, a 51-yarder that hits the upright. The next week against New England, he misses a 46-yarder that again hits the upright, and this was actually a pretty good kick; the commentators were remarking on the strength of the wind and how Sturgis probably kicked it off center exactly where he wanted to. Later on that game, he has his third field goal of the day blocked. What do these two field goals have in common? Tannehill was sacked on the play before, each losing 6 yards. In fact, Tannehill was sacked during 4 of the 8 drives that resulted in missed field goals. Week 9 against the Bengals, the weight of the previous few weeks finally seem to manifest with a horrible 34-yarder way wide in the first quarter. This was the first bad kick I saw all year and seemed the perfect exclamation point to his worst stretch of the season where he missed 5 of 6.

The Good plus the Bad Equal? How does Caleb Sturgis respond to his first 29 quarters of football that saw the highest highs and the lowest lows? Here is where you see the mettle of a man, and aside from the revelation that he can be streaky, I believe here is when you can start to ascertain what we may have in the future. He responds to his embarrassing miss in the Bengals game by finishing with two successful attempts, including his only attempt at a reasonable game winner (or tie-er in this case) with 16 seconds left from 44 yards out that sent the game to OT, which we would go on to win. He would continue to be perfect against TB and SD, and his first three attempts against Carolina, going 9/9 during this stretch before missing a 53-yarder. Over the next three games of the season he would go 6/8, missing a 41-yarder against the Jets, and 52-yarder against the Steelers. While the miss against the Jets was probably his second worst of the season, I can hardly fault him for the one in Pittsburgh with snow on the ground (where the visitors have only made 50+ once ever).

Kick Offs What about that other thing kickers do? Sturgis averaged 50.67% touchback percentage on kick offs this year, good enough for #16 in the league, which is an improvement from Dan Carpenter's 47.14% last year (and his 40.96% this year). Our kick returns against also improved to 22.9 yards (#15) from 24.8 yards (#23) last year, and we gave up no touchdowns.

Sooooo... Maybe he isn't as bad as he looks on paper. Out of eight misses, four were 50+ (two were pipe dreams), one was blocked, and two hit the post. The most heartening thing however may be that in his one reasonable chance to send the game into overtime, he rose to the occasion. (Ultimately, missing game winning kicks against the Jets and Cardinals last year, plus short kickoffs, and a big contract, was why Dan Carpenter was replaced.) After rewatching his 2013 season, my sentiment has evolved into "expecting great things in 2014" from Caleb Sturgis, who was our Rookie of the Year, arguably.

Epilogue There's one more noteworthy stat I found while researching this (using teamrankings.com, pro-football-reference.com, and NFL Game Rewind). Perhaps it's our good red zone defense, but Joe Philbin's Dolphins are ripe for opponents going for field goals. 2013's 2.5 field goal attempts against per game were the most in the NFL, and last year was also at 2.5 (3rd most). It's a strange contrast to Sparano's #1 (2010) and #4 (2011) ranking for most field goal attempts by the Dolphins.

2. DPlus47

DPlus47 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 14, 2008
    To paraphrase Dupree's manifesto, the Phins may as well keep him and hope his year is better, because if they let him go he'll immediately become great.

Apparently, the Ravens broke a rule on that game-winning miss and Sturgis should have been allowed to try again from 5 yards shorter. His (and the team's) season might have been very different if that had happened.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That that's the most *extensive and well-thought breakdown of a kicker I've ever read.

Da 'Fins, CashInFist and keithjackson like this.
  4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    That might be the only breakdown of a kicker I ever wanted to read twice.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IIRC, he pulled a groin before that abysmal stretch, still though, if missing a playoff birth can be boiled down to one culprit, Mr Sturgis would wear the goat horns, and not G.O.A.T ones.

Keep in mind, a huge deal was made of selecting Sturgis in the Draft as he was "hand picked" by Rizzi. What would be interesting is whether his misses led to drives that resulted in points for the opponents due to also generating great field positions for them.

Suspect they should have went with the accumulated wisdom of fantasy football aficionados and never draft a kicker early.

keithjackson likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Great rundown. The people raking him over the coals seem to have not seen the games. As you mention , two of his misses were next to impossible. And from his perspective, several others would have been easier kicks had the team kicked on 3rd down, because a sack was taken before the FG, making it harder. I like him, and think that he'll have a good season.

7. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The job of the kicker is basically to kick the ball through the goal posts. Obviously if you look at the misses of every kicker in the NFL, you can rationalize why they missed each kick.

I have no problem giving Sturgis another opportunity this coming season. Yet if he doesn't have a higher percentage of made kicks this year than he had last year, the Dolphins need to look for another kicker before the 2015 season begins.