Brian Tyms signed to a 2 year deal....
14 replies
@BenVolinPBP
Per his agent, #Dolphins signed former practice squad WR Brian Tyms to a 2-year contract. He'll compete for a roster spot in 2013
He is a practice squad guy that must have impressed enough to earn the shot at competing. Good size at 6'3" 210, but didn't really wow in college. He ended up with 38 receptions for 538 yards and 3 TD's in basically one season of playing time at FAMU. Not eyepopping but he did have some decent showings.
not surprising to see these practice squad guys (Alexcih and Tyms) getting futures contracts after the team invested a lot of time with them on the practice squad.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
Would be cool to see a Fellow Rattler impress. Guess I'll go throw the Team Tyms t-shirts on the press.
Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
"Paul 13 wrote:
not surprising to see these practice squad guys (Alexcih and Tyms) getting futures contracts after the team invested a lot of time with them on the practice squad.
Yup. Par for the course, and it happens every year about this time.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
I've heard the coaching staff likes him quite a bit, but we'll see where that goes.
At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, he possesses prototypical size for a pro wide receiver and eye-popping athleticism. At Florida A&M's pro day, he had a 38.5-inch vertical jump, which would have ranked tied for fifth among wide receivers at the NFL combine. His time in the 20-yard shuttle (3.93 seconds) would have tied for second and his 40-yard-dash clocking (4.40) would have ranked third.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Rookie-wideout-Tyms-runs-toward-future-3791826.php#ixzz2GqEgKQf7
He is a good athlete however very inexperienced.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Is this different than a practice squad guy getting signed to the off-season roster? I didn't think "future contracts" were usually two-year deals?
"Disgustipate wrote:
Is this different than a practice squad guy getting signed to the off-season roster? I didn't think "future contracts" were usually two-year deals?
Wasn't Les Brown signed to a 4-year deal originally? I think it's the same as Miami signing a street free agent, as I believe practice squad contracts expire after a year. I think it'd be pretty unlikely that either Tyms or Alexcih make the active roster next year.
@KevinMD4
"RoninFin4 wrote:
Wasn't Les Brown signed to a 4-year deal originally? I think it's the same as Miami signing a street free agent, as I believe practice squad contracts expire after a year. I think it'd be pretty unlikely that either Tyms or Alexcih make the active roster next year.
I think it is more likely that Alexcih makes the roster.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I think it is more likely that Alexcih makes the roster.
If he makes it, I'm guessing it'll have been due to numbers i.e. not bringing back Starks and/or McDaniel or not bringing in other players through the draft or free agency. Just based on what he showed, I'd be pretty surprised.
@KevinMD4
"Disgustipate wrote:
Is this different than a practice squad guy getting signed to the off-season roster? I didn't think "future contracts" were usually two-year deals?
not 100% sure but I would assume it's similar to any "street free agent" except the Dolphins have first crack at them. There is probably a date at which point their practice squad contract expired. We've still got teams in the playoffs who still have their practice squads "active" and I'm assuming those guys are getting paid extra??? I can't imagine all practice squad guys are still getting paid.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
just read part of the CBA regarding practice squad players... they do get paid while their team is in the playoffs. And the contract terminates one week after the team's last regular season game or playoff game.
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!
"RoninFin4 wrote:
Wasn't Les Brown signed to a 4-year deal originally? I think it's the same as Miami signing a street free agent, as I believe practice squad contracts expire after a year. I think it'd be pretty unlikely that either Tyms or Alexcih make the active roster next year.
I think the day the regular season ends, that the practice squads of every non playoff team become street free agents. Since Tyms was on our PS this season, his signing is basically as it would be for any street free agent.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Paul 13 wrote:
just read part of the CBA regarding practice squad players... they do get paid while their team is in the playoffs. And the contract terminates one week after the team's last regular season game or playoff game.
Shudda read your post before making mine. So, it is a week after the last game rather than as soon as the last game ends. :up:
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"MrClean wrote:
Shudda read your post before making mine. So, it is a week after the last game rather than as soon as the last game ends. :up:
Yeah a week after. I suppose that would have been 12/31
Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!