1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brian Hartline (WR) Ohio State Info

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dgb11112, Apr 26, 2009.

1. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    According to who? you? Sorry, I don't take you judgement over he Phins FO.

2. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    oh man, im sorry, parcells is conducting this draft, therefore we have no right to question these picks. nothing to see here, move along....

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i hope you do, i trust the phins FO over my own opinion, that doesnt mean i dont have one.

FinSane likes this.
  4. Johnnymu

Johnnymu New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    From all the scouting report that I've seen the concensus agreement had him ranked a 7th or free agent at best. I've watched him played for the last three years in college so it's just my own humble opinion. He has average hands, above average speed. Doesn't run great routes. Has very predictable moves, basically will try to out run you for long patterns, safeties will sit on this all day. I'm just saying with this pick I rather pick johnny Knox as a wrs, much better project.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Bess, Ginn, Camarillo, Hartline, Turner, and Pat White all make the team. London and Wilford are out.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This year's Ike Hillard?

At worst we can practice squad the guy, if not then Bess or Greg C are in trouble

7. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

someone would most likely sign him to their team if we try and practice squad him. so we would basically lose a 4th round pick.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We have already...

9. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    i agree...draft is over though. the only thing we can do is hope. i hope he works hard and becomes a very good WR.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, I'm sort of hoping he becomes a Osgood type player for us, ST daemon, fillin at Wr sort of player.

11. fla fla

fla fla New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    wow i can tell some of you really know your football...and some of you really don't...as a guy who played against him in hs and watched him all throughout college here is my personal opinion on the guy...

1- He is an athlete NOT a football player...he won states in the 110 hurdles in track...thats why OSU recruited him....he never did anything special on the field with the exception of a few games against MAC teams( imo he is MAC talent player...I hated that he played for my Buckeyes)
    2- He DOESN'T crack heads like what he said in his interview... he is 6'1 with a slender build, he had ONE big hit in his career where he ran full speed into a guy on special teams and it also knocked him back just as hard...and if you watched the USC game when he tried to tackle Maualuga off an interception, the wind could have threw him off more
    3-His routes are not very impressive for a D-1 player...it has ALWAYS been that way
    4-He is known to drop some very ugly passes...NFL defenders are gonna tear this howdy doody looking charachter apart
    .....This pick just baffles my mind ...this might be a sign of old age for the Tuna..bc it was very dillusional

gunn34 and Vengeful Odin like this.
  12. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    :lol: I bet you Hatline has a better shot at making the team than Patrick Turner.

13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    spoken from an unbiased poster....:shifty:

14. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    There is NO WAY IN HELL Devon Bess is in "trouble". Dude has the best hands on the team and he's the only receiver on the roster that actually attacks the football.

If it is 3rd and 6 he the ONLY guy on this roster I really trust throwing the football to. If we cut him he'd have 20 job offers within an hour.

Tiki, gunn34, aesop and 1 other person like this.
  15. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    3rd and six, i trust cam too.

16. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah thats me :rolleyes:

FinSane likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not THAT kind of trouble unified, in trouble for playing time, we would trade Bess, never cut him, we could see Ginn>Bess>Turner as our starting Wr unless Greg C comes back, that leaves Hartline, and IMO he is going to used as the backup Wildcat Qb and ST type and 5th or 4th Wr.

White is not going to play Wr unless it is in the Wildcat, he's also not going to return kicks IMO.

18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    The guy that is in trouble is Wilford. He should be the only guy that gets cut from the corps.

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Man, that is so cool that you have a hotline to all the other teams so they could let you know of their lack of interest in Hartline. I bet you shared a good laugh with all of them about the foolishness of the Dolphins to pick him so high.

Agua, The Aqua Crush and USArmyFinFan like this.
  20. Johnnymu

Johnnymu New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    another brainwashed fan that has no idea what he's preaching. I bet you believe in the tooth fairy and Santa claus if parcel was selling it. Like I said I've watched hartline all through college and I saw at least five scouting reports rating him 7th rd or free agency. If you don't believe ask every expert why the dolphins got an c- rating for their draft picks. Even if you really believe some other team wanted him do you really think it's a huge lost? And yes I can give opinions cause that's what this sport is all about.
    Posted via Mobile Device

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Draft grades are meaningless at this point considering not 1 rook as played in the NFL as of today. To really judge a class is about 3-4 years.

Now I don't like some of the picks but "experts" throwing out grades means nothing.

22. MrClean

Where did you see those 5 scouting reports on Hartline? Internet sites? Kiper's book? :lol:
    EVERY expert? You mean people like Todd McShay? What makes him an expert? Because he said so?
    IF you really watched Hartline all through college perhaps you should have done so while not in a state of inebriation so you could have understood what you were seeing. I've had actual college scouts, employed in the NFL, tell me Hartline was a very good pick in the 4th round. I kind of think I'll take their word for it over you, if you don't mind, or Mel, McShay or any of those other self proclaimed media experts. Apparently too, Miami's own scouts, you know, those guys who have been making a living watching, scouting and analyzing college football players for years, had a pretty favorable opinion of Hartline too for him to have a 4th round grade. Ron Labadie, who covers Ohio, Michigan and parts of the East Coast, has been scouting for the Dolphins for 19 yrs. What were you doing 19 yrs ago?

23. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    Nah, Bess is feeling okay. No way Hartline takes Bess's spot, or loses his spot to anyone.

Dolfan4Life likes this.
  24. Johnnymu

Johnnymu New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    When the time comes, don't blame hartline when he can't produce blame your FO.
    Posted via Mobile Device

25. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    If early on he's used as a ST player and developed into a WR at the pro level and is there in case of injuries, which we encountered oh not long ago, then using a 4th is not a bad pick for a player of his nature.

Sure there were others out there, but after seeing so many times our team getting burned on ST i like the idea of bringing in some guys to play that for now. We need to be strong at all three elements of the game. it's not flashy, but i think it will make us a better team overall

26. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Peter King and Prisco love the guy

27. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    He's been scouting for us for 19 years? We've had more crappy drafts over the past 19 years than good ones.

Ginn? Pape? Barthelomew? (Just the ones from Ohio, not sure what else he scouts)

Just saying..

28. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

Im pretty sure this is his last year,That what bother me the most on this pick.

29. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I think both make the team...and as a Cane fan you know how much I love the Buckeyes...but Hartline is more football player than Turner IMHO...Turner looks the pat much better and has size...but damn it I hate to say it ...I agree with a Damn Buckeye.............IMHO........

30. MrClean

He hasn't worked that region all those years, just currently. He was the director of college scouting before Chris Grier. One other thing to remember, the scouts don't set the board. They follows these guys for 3-4 seasons, and then late in the process the GM, and coaches check them out too. All the scouts can do is submit their reports. The GM still is going to have final say. That's ok with who we have now, but it is a pretty safe bet that Wanny trumped the scouts quite a few times when he had final say. Such as Fletcher over Brees and Eddie Moore over Boldin. If Spielman had had final say then, and allowed to draft Brees and Boldin like he wanted, he may still have a job here. Instead he was the scapegoat for Wanny's ineptitude.
    Another great football mind that we have working for us now is Dick Haley. He was Director of Player Personnel for the Steelers in the early 70s when they were making all those great drafts. He is currently Player Personnel Analyst for us and I read somewhere that we have him scouting the Florida schools too.

aesop and gunn34 like this.
  31. MrClean

I read where King said Hartline is/was a top 64, but what did Prisco say? Do you have a link? He seldom gives the Dolphins much love so it would be interesting to read his comments on Hartline.

32. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Maybe it's not an issue to some, but Greg Camarillo is coming off a major injury. People are automatically assuming that Camarillo will come back to form 100%, but we don't really know this. I think Hartline was brought in as an insurance policy to Camarillo. Our active wide receivers will likely look like Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, Turner, and London or Ginn, Bess, Hartline, Turner, and London on opening day. I would not be surprised to see Camarillo on the PUP list.

33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL

I'm glad to see someone else feels the way I did when all the Spielman sucks threads hit. He was definitly a scapegoat for Wanny.

IMO Wanny was the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise.

MrClean likes this.
  34. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Interesting. I don't know much about the scouting process, nor do I pay much attention to college football. Thanks for the info.

35. MrClean

At this point, I'm thinking Hartline may actually have a better chance of making the team than Turner. Hartline is known as a good special teamer who can cover kicks and punts, and also be a return man. This of course in addition to being a WR, likely a backup initially. Turner is someone who I don't think would be as effective in those special teams roles so would need to be no worse than the 3rd WR to see enough playing time to make him worth activating. Turner could cover kicks and punts, but I don't think he has ever returned them. Hartline could do both which could make him more valuable.

cnc66 likes this.
  36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    If Cam doesn't come back the same, we need a guy who is tough over the middle to keep the safeties honest.... and Hartline is one of the better college receivers for this role. The kids virtually fearless.

If you don't have a guy who can catch across the middle, your offense will be eaten alize verse better defenses. Having Hartline allows us to attack the entire field better.

Great pick that fills a huge need that most of us don't think about.

Food for thought: How is Ginn or London supposed to get deep when Safeties don't have to worry about the middle or quick slants? How are our TEs or Patrick Turner supposed to effectively stretch the deep middle w/o an intermediate middle threat? How are Ginn/Bess supposed to be more effective outside when teams don't have to worry about us over the middle? How are we supposed to keep LBs and Safeties from jamming the box on running downs if we don't have a true middle threat from the slot? It's not a pretty pick, but it's a needed pick... and Hartline was the best available for this when we were picking.

Irish Phin Fan likes this.
  37. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Going to be a GREAT competition at WR this off season, which I love. All them have to take major steps forward to secure a job. Who knows, maybe able to package up a trade.

I think Ginn, Bess and Cam are pretty safe. But this is why I have held off buying my Bess Jersey. I think this kid is going to be GREAT with a bit of time.

38. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    So TOTALLY Agree...

Bess will be our Wes but even faster! (OK Wes didn't really have a QB when he was here, we all saw what he is capable of with someone throwing him the ball.)