1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BREAKING NEWS? Peyton turns down Miami Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Just heard this on NFLN. Sorry, if already posted.

2. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Breaking? not anymore.
    News? Not really to many of us, who saw it coming.

Meh. All this got out of hand, and I admit I was sucked into the vacuum of media hype and ridiculousness. doesn't make it suck any less.:sad:

3. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I just read it on NFL.com

Not surprised *shakes head*

4. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Not breaking to me ,the guy never even came down to the stadium.

5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    He wouldn't meet at our facility and it's being reported he only took the meeting because Dan Marino called in a favor. Viva La Ireland and Ross.

6. EightyTwenty

EightyTwenty Don't laugh at the mule

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    Did anybody ever really expect him to sign here? I mean come on...

7. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I thought it was the right fit, yes. If I didn't think he would sign, it was only because of our GM/Owner. I'm not alone in that opinion.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If he signs with Tennessee, I think blaming it on our FO is out the window.

gunn34 likes this.
  9. EightyTwenty

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    Well yah, that's kind of my point. If you were him, would you be all fired up to join with these 2 at the helm?

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Fixed for accuracy.

Ireland is a gigantic failure as a GM.

11. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Didn't mean to sound condescending, You're fine :D

Sceeto likes this.
  12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    :pointlol::up:

13. HardKoreXXX

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Per Darlington's Twitter:

Jeff Darlington ‏ @JeffDarlington

Dolphins told Manning that Marshall might or might not be with team. They made no guarantees, and Manning's opinion wasn't going to matter.

Sleepy and SICK like this.
  14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Obviously Bud Adams is the gold standard.

15. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    I really hate Parcells , and Ireland I hope the tuna doesnt get into the hall of fame. Ireland really does suck and it isnt all concerning Peyton

its really bad how outsiders view the dolphins . when Harbaugh turned us down i wasnt concerned , but when free agents turned us down , then Fisher , and Peyton it really makes me wonder if Ross needs to fire Ireland to save our franchize.

16. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Once we traded Brandon Marshall is where I knew we were out of it realistically.
    Why on earth would he come to a team that is going to have a WR corp near the bottom of the league if not THE bottom.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's what I'm saying.

The fact that the Titans are even in the mix means this isn't about our FO. If he signs with them, that proves it.

For all we know, he doesn't want to play in the AFC East again, he just may hate us the way Zach hates the Jets. Hell, didn't we break his jaw or nose or something back in the day.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They are saying we were never in it.

19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I do think it is about our owner/FO. They didn't bend over for Manning. Thus, he didn't want to come here. It would have been easy for Ross to come out and say Manning has a blank check, and free reign over the organization. It would have been an awful move though. Kudos to Ross for not bending over.

Eop05 likes this.
  20. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I don't think there are any conspiracy theories to support Manning not coming here if in fact we are out of the running.

The media helicopters chasing him off was silly.
    Dosen't want to play in the AFC East???? Why on earth would that have anything to do with it?
    We broke his nose?
    Come on.....

They guy is looking for the best fit for him to win NOW.
    The Dolphins roster is not the best fit for him. Especially after Marshall was traded.
    That's it.... that's the whole conspiracy.

21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Thats insane if true. Manning is arguably the greatest qb of all time and immediatley makes us a contender if signed, yet we go into the meeting and say "yeah we want you, but your opinion doesnt matter"

What a joke.

22. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    If I had to bet money I wouldn't bet on Ross applying the breaks here.
    He seems a little star struck and openly stated wanting a franchise QB.
    Manning is the only option that fits that description.
    I believe he wants Manning and would pay whatever it takes.
    Manning has stated since the beginning that he wants to go where it's the best fit.
    Considering the type of person Manning is I don't see any reason to doubt he means that.
    This roster is not the best fit for him.

gunn34 likes this.
  23. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    "They" say all kinds of things all the time.

"They" at one point had Manning coming here all done but the paperwork basically.

"They" write stories to cover all bases so "they" can say "they" were right in any instance.

24. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    or you say your opinion doesn't matter about the guy who is from the slap a hoe tribe...

25. EightyTwenty

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    There are a couple of reasons why I never expected him to sign. First, for whatever reason these days, things just don't click for Miami. Whether it's the draft or free agents or whatever, it usually just doesn't seem to work out. We always seem to end up going with "Plan B".

Secondly, if you look at it from Manning's perspective, it wouldn't be a good choice. He knows as well as anybody he's got a few years left and that's about it. He's going to want a roster and supporting front office where he's got a legitimate shot at another title in that reasonably short period of time. We just aren't there yet. As I've said for years, we've got a lot of "decent" players, but not a lot of studs. For whatever reason we haven't been able to get the playmakers that have that extra sauce that can get us to a SB.

Coral Reefer likes this.
  26. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Disagree. Marshall was traded for disciplinary reasons. Disciplinary reasons that happened before Manning would have been here. For all you know, Philbin could have told the team he will not stand for deviant behavior and they had to act on Marshall or Philbin loses authority. Regardless, Manning should not have had a say in that.

Now, if we were getting rid of Marshall for ****s & giggles, fine, telling Manning that, is a bad call.

27. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

This reminds me somewhat of Pujols. He wanted a no trade clause and Loria refused because it was against team policy. Fast forward, Pujols is in LAA. Can't blame not allowing free reign to a 36 year old QB who you hadn't seen throw yet.

28. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Your first point is taken but it's not a reason Manning would turn us down.
    That track record will also change if Ireland and Philbin can develop respect as a tandem or once we get a respectable leadership team.

Your second point is right on the money.
    It's why I said once Marshall was gone we were done.
    At least with Marshall here he would have a top WR option along with Reggie Bush as weapons on offense. You could at least show him some worth in those weapons for coming to Miami..
    With Marshall gone and no top WR options left on the market he'd be crazy to come here really.

EightyTwenty likes this.
  29. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

The Titans were always the target. Now he gets to play the Colts twice a year and beat up on the guy who replaced him. Remember his words to the Colts before they drafted him. "If you don't pick me I'm going to spend the next 15 years beating you up twice a year!" Besides he loves all things Tennessee!

He's about to do that very thing while smiling all the way to the bank dead arm and all!

30. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    All Miami has to do is build the team the right way and start winning. The rest will fall into place. The FA's will want to sign here again.

31. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    It would have been nice to have a guy with his experience on the team, but nothing we can do but get somebody who wants to be here. And when you think about it, how many HOF/future HOF quarterbacks have gone on to win another Super Bowl with another team?

32. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Not to mention that his wife is also from Tenn. I was thinking Denver was the spot he would land, but now I think I'm leaning to Tenn.

33. RickyWilliams34

RickyWilliams34 New Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Oh well, time to go after Flynn then.

34. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    As much as some here want to believe, this is not about the Dolphin's FO. It's about winning for Manning. As some wrote here, if he does go to TN or Denver do you think it will be because of their FO? Nope.

I think he goes to Denver. I mean, they went to and won in the playoffs last year with a TE/FB playing QB. If they can do that with Tebow then imagine what Manning thinks he can do there.

Fin D likes this.
  35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Tebow would be such a good tight end.

36. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Unless we get Flynn signed before Manning makes his choice, we'll have to go through the "Trade for Tebow" stuff (assuming Peyton goes to Denver). Seems like Philbin wants Flynn though, so that looks like the best option left for us.

37. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I'd love to have Tebow playing here. Just not as a QB.

38. OkiePhin

OkiePhin Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Flynn stayed the night in Seattle. They prob put him up in The Ritz and sent beer, hookers and cocaine up to his room.

39. EightyTwenty

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    Probably not far from the truth.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  40. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    For whatever reason, I just don't think the Dolphins were ever in the mix. There was never any serious meetings, no trips to the team facility, no serious discussions. I know there was speculation that they were having secret meetings to avoid the media but I just don't see Philbin traveling to talk to Manning as anything serious. Manning was in South Florida, if we were in serious contention that was when the Dolphins would have made their first move IMO. I believe that it was realized early on that we didn't present the best opportunity for Peyton Manning to finish out his career. Too many unanswered questions, too many positions to be filled, new coaching staff, a young, brash and sometime difficult GM. I just never had the opinion that we were anywhere close to getting Peyton Manning.

Mike80 likes this.