1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking News-Farve to report to Packers/Jets, Bucs are Interested

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    This was just breaking news on NFL Network. Brett will report on Saturday. It will be interesting to see if the Packers try to work out a trade tonight. I just thought I would pass this along.:up:

alen1 likes this.
  2. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Thanks bro! Your awesome.

My money is on him going to the Bucs

alen1 likes this.
  3. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Breaking: Jets and Bucs Express intrest in Favre

Mort reports that the Bucs and Jets are expressing interest in acquiring Favre. Its is on ESPN's bot line now. Will post link when available.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i hope he goes to the Jets. that will be their admission that Clemmens and Pennington are finished in NY, and they will likely win enough games to not have a shot at a franchise QB in the draft. This could set them back 2 years!!!

5. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Oh this is going to be interesting. I can't wait.:up:

6. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I could see the Jets getting him over the Bucs since they are in the NFC whereas the Jets are in the AFC. Plus reportedly Favre wants to play in colder weather. Personally I want him in the NFC as I don't want him upgrading a weak spot on a divisional opponent. It may set them back a couple of years but it could help them get into the playoffs and who wants that.

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Per Chris Mortensen, the Jets have received permission to talk to Brett.:wink2:

8. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    I don't want to see him go to New York anywhere but there.

9. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
    Crunkcore likes this.
  10. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    The question is will Favre accept those trades? My guess is no.

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Bro, but the Packers are not going to pay him 12 million to hold a clipboard.:wink2:

12. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Well looks like he is going to get released :tongue2:

13. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Okay so I watched Live. Basically he will not show up if he is traded to the Jets. Favre said he either starts or release him. Now if he is traded it looks like the Bucs might be the only team. I'm not sure if Favre even wants to play for Tampa. I still think he is Viking bound.

14. Fin Fan In Cali

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    The Viking deal would have to be a three team deal to make it happen.

15. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I hope this Brett Favre saga ends soon. I'm tierd of hearing about Favre already, I've never liked him, or the Packer organization as a whole.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm tired of Favre, not the organization.

Some may think that but they did tell him that if he was to comeback, it would be to hold a clipboard for 13 million.

17. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Why not? The only other option would be staying with Greenbay and they have told him he is going to be a backup and that they don't want him. I'm sure he'd love the Vikings but thats not going to happen.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    BUCS HAVE PERMISSION TO TALK TO FAVRE, TOO

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

19. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Well what gave it away for me was him saying either Start me in GB or release me. Chances are its either let me play for you or let me play for the Vikings.

This is going to be a very long and ugly process.

Btw GB is stupid if they think their going to get a first round pick for Favre.

20. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Favre has not said that he would reject a trade to the Jets.

Sure he wants to play for Minnesota, but mostly everyone realizes that is not a possibilty. Green Bay will either trade him to the Jets or Tampa Bay and it will be done with. Tampa Bay has the better chance of landing him due to the Gruden connection, but we'll see.

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    No it was said on Live today.

They said Favre would "____" the trade. Favre has said Let me be the starter or release me. Notice he said not trade for a reason.

22. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    NFL Total Access and ESPN have aired since then and nothing of the sort was said on either. NFL Total Access has much better Inside NFL news than NFL Live. This would've been reported on the NFL Network if Favre came out and said he would not accept a trade to the Jets.

Favre has also been saying that garbage for a while now. Since the Packers have asked for a list of teams he'd accept a trade too and Favre gave them that list.

Pure speculation.

23. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Plus, if Favre had said that he wouldn't accept a trade to the Jets this would've been all over ESPN, NFL Network and also ESPN.com and NFL.com. Nothing of the sort has been reported except the speculation of the garbage ESPN analysts.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Rotoworld.com

25. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    They said Favre would not report to the team if he is traded. Thus nulling the trade. Face it Jets aren't getting Favre, neither is the Bucs. The demands the Packers want are to damn high.

26. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    What if we saw a DOUBLE DEAL!! The Vikings could set a deal up with a third party team. The third party expresses interest in Favre, the trade goes through, then Minny offers them the kitchen sink. There would be absolute chaos in Green Bay. Their fans would probably start offing themselves.

27. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    It could happen but Vikings would have to find a trade partner. Chances are it wont happen because Green Bay wants a 1st. Now if it was a 3rd then I can see a 3 team trade.

28. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal

Interesting.

29. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre have reached a compromise.

The Packers confirmed to ESPN that he won't show up for camp Sunday. Packers' management will now try and reach some sort of resolution to the on-going un-retirement saga, SI.com reports.

"I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but [general manager] Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved," Favre told SI.com
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3506282

In other words, wait a few days and maybe we can get you traded sometime early next week.:shifty:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  30. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Pretty much what was exactly said on Sirius. Favre agreed to stay away if Green Bay dealt him in the next three or so days.

31. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Posted: 44 minutes ago
    Favre a no-show to Packers camp; RB Grant doesn't report

Associated Press
    MILWAUKEE --
    Brett Favre didn't report to the Green Bay Packers' training camp Sunday, temporarily easing tensions in the three-time MVP's ongoing standoff with the team.
    Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb confirmed Sunday that Favre did not report to camp with Packers players, who were required to report at 7:30 a.m. CDT.

Favre told si.com that Packers general manager Ted Thompson had asked him for "a couple of days" to resolve the situation.

"I agreed to do that," Favre told the site. "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football."

That agreement, presumably, would be a trade. The New York Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have emerged as two potential trade partners for the Packers, and Favre told si.com that he would consider a trade to any team.

Packers players were scheduled to attend meetings and take physicals Sunday. Running back Ryan Grant - an exclusive-rights free agent who has refused to sign a tender offer from the team and is pursuing a long-term deal - also did not report Sunday morning.

Players, coaches and Thompson were not scheduled to meet with reporters until after the Packers' first practice Monday morning.

To report to camp, Favre first would have to file for reinstatement with the league and have his request approved by commissioner Roger Goodell, something that didn't happen Saturday. Then he'd have to pass a team physical.

In the si.com interview, conducted at his home in Mississippi, Favre said he has been speaking with Goodell and hopes the commissioner could be "some sort of arbitrator" in his impasse with the Packers.

The Packers were willing to take Favre back as recently as late March, several weeks after he retired. But after Favre led team officials to believe he was ready to return, only to change his mind again and stay retired, the team made a firm commitment to moving forward.

Now, Packers officials have made it clear that Favre wouldn't be the starter if he returned. And they aren't willing to grant his request to be released because they fear he would sign with division rival Minnesota. Favre's rights belong to the Packers until his contract expires after the 2010 season.

Favre told si.com he was interviewed this week by an NFL official about tampering charges filed by the Packers against the Vikings. Favre said he talked to Vikings coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell - which by itself wouldn't constitute tampering - but denied that either of them tried to entice him to come to the Vikings, as the Packers suspect.

On Saturday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said even he wasn't sure how the Favre saga would play out. But he did make it clear that Aaron Rodgers is his starting quarterback.

"Aaron Rodgers is the starting quarterback for the Green Bay Packers," McCarthy said. "That's been stated over and over again. I hope we can finally understand that. That's where we are as an organization and as a head coach of the Green Bay Packers. I don't know how else to answer that question."

But even given Favre's iffy commitment to football, doesn't he still give the Packers their best chance to win in 2008?

"As simple as a question as that sounds, it's obviously more complicated than that," McCarthy said.

Taking Favre back might seem like an easy answer, but doing so would undermine the message McCarthy and his assistants have been preaching to players for nearly five months: it's time to move forward.

"Moving forward as a football team is really the identity of the whole football team," McCarthy said. "Brett Favre's had an incredible career here. He's been the focal point of the Packers, the face of the Green Bay Packers."

Despite his background as a quarterbacks coach, McCarthy prefers to win with defense - a philosophy that presumably works best with steady but unspectacular play from a quarterback.

"The football team has moved forward with the emphasis on defense," McCarthy said. "Because that's what I believe in."

Even with his firm commitment to Rodgers and the defense, McCarthy couldn't completely rule out the possibility of Favre starting another game for the Packers. But McCarthy's quote - "You never say never" - seemed more like an offhanded acknowledgment of the unpredictable nature of the game than a subtle hint that Favre could win his job back.

"If he reinstates, he'll be part of our roster," McCarthy said. "That's really as far as we can go."

32. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I was not aware of this..

He already pulled a bait and switch with them.. no wonder they are resolved to go their own way now.

alen1 likes this.
  33. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    The latest is Favre is giving them a few more days before he sends in the reinstatement. Favre doesn't want to go to the Jets or the Bucs. He wants to either start in Green Bay or get a deal done with the Vikings.

34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I didn't expect him to report. As of 6 PM yesterday or Friday, Adam Schefter reported that he had not filed his reinstatement papers. Once I read that, I knew he wouldn't.

35. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Wrong.

The latest is that Favre has given the organization a couple of days to get a trade done. The team is not going to trade him inside the NFC North, and as the article I posted at the beginning of this page says, Favre would be open to discuss a trade with any team.

The Jets and the Bucs are the only possible landing spots for Favre, so he's going to have to pick one of them. Most likely it will be Tampa Bay. What I don't understand is how you continully stick your thinking that Favre will be in Minnesota. Sorry, but Green Bay will not let that happen even if it means keeping him on the roster the entire season. Will not happen.

36. NyPhinfan

NyPhinfan Season Ticket Holder

Dec 21, 2007
    Have to agree..under NO circumstances does Favre get traded to MINNY

37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Lol how funny would it be if Favre ends up in GB after you guys have been denying BK's prediction.

38. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Guys he doesn't want to go to a team where has to learn a new offense. I'm sorry but he wants to win a super bowl not sit on a Jet team that might not even be second int he division. Tampa has decided not to pursue him. Hell he could go to tampa if he gets traded but your pipe dream about him being a Jet will never happen.

MY prediction has always been they cut him after pre-season or during the season. MY guess they could cut him after week 1.

39. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    We should offer the Pack one of our 2nd round picks.....Have Favre QB the Phins for two years until Henne is ready to take over the starting spot.

40. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Sarcasm?