1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking down the draft - Sentinel Blog - Part IV

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Conuficus, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2010/02/breaking_down_dolphins_draft_o.html

2. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The most shocking part of this article is when Boomer asked
    Penn State DT Jared Odrick whether he’d heard the talk of the Dolphins potentially looking at him at the 12 spot.

I would potentially go postal if this is what we used our #12
    pick

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Conu as per usual underestimates my man Cameron Wake...

Odrick is not worth the #12 pick, not even close.

4. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Here we go again......:shifty:

Stop picking on me.......ahhhhhh!!!!

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nahh, Cam Wake has shown what he can do there is no need to bang the drum further after last yrs..ahhemm..."hand use" episode.

I have a Bermudaphobia...:wink2:

Besides, this year it will be Ryan Grice Mullen and Dimitri Tsoumpas and Rory Lumbala, all three players that the NFL talent evaulation system looked at and then discarded and wrote off as not even draftable.

But here they are in Dolphins Camp, man this is going to be a great Preseason!

All three have a shot, RGM probably has the best shot, but sill, they are my Outsiders for this year..:yes:

Conuficus likes this.
  6. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Uh, what did I say that was wrong about that. He still doesn't use them very often does he? He does lock out, and use leverage which he has done since he was in Canada. He doesn't feature a swim very often, but he did flash a rip every now and then, but for the most part he came right at guys if he couldn't get up the field.

As good as Wake was, you can bet he will get more attention this season. And, i still say that he does need to infuse a swim in there or a speed rip at least so he can truly run the arc on a guy. I mean does pretty well, but he can driven wide or down to the ground. The speed rip may help him get to the corner easier.

padre31 likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ah, even while true, it is no barrier to success in the NFL.

TBH, I'm far more worried about play recognition Conu, Wake is taking small steps and just as a Nickel DE he still has alot to learn just to really excel at that position.

Folks consider Wake the heir apparent to Porter's job, I'm still not convinced of that, PSU's rep about developing linebackers is proven mislaid on Wake.

And Wake can Rip and Swim and I've seen a mediocre spin move out of him, keep in mind...140 snaps or so..less than ten a game, he still posted Freeneyish stats but for those moves to be used he needs more snaps.

And I maintain Wake is a Grade A trade bait to a 4-3 team who needs a passrushing DE.

I did enjoy him manhandling Jeff Otah though...:chuckle:

8. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Otah was interesting, as in preseason Otah pretty much removed Wake from the landscape of that game. He did adjust as the season wore on, that is apparent, but his hands are still and issue.

Teams and players will know who he is this next season, so it will interesting to see how he adjusts or how Nolan adjusts his presence in the game.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We chatted about that during the preseason.

And the other issue with Wake, one you've pointed out and departed Lb Coach reid mentioned...he is much much more explosive out of a 4pt stance.

I suspect Wake will be a larger part of the 4 man nickel lines and as formational packages that Nolan will design, but as a stand up OLB?

Does he have the skill set for that Conu?

As for me...being point blank honest..I'm not seeing it..he is an awesome passrushing DE but playing standing up could be square peg in round hole..

10. Conuficus

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Yeah I wonder how he'll be used. Actually I am going to get a bit more in depth with this for next week anyways. I have a few games of Denver's defense on file so I will see how we'll do with it, but we still have 4 LB's on the field.

Wake doesn't look like he can do it, but then again Denver and Nolan catered a great deal to Dumerville in how they set their defense up - again I'll get into that - but is that due to he was all Denver had, or was he just that good that warranted it? They did take Robert Ayers in the first for a reason.

padre31 likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Funny thing about Rob Ayers, there was a ton of buzz about him along with Tuna making his usual nebulous statement "The linebacker he likes would surprise everyone"

Speculation then centered on Ayers...and he was not good this year..

AS for Wake, he has some real hurdles to overcome in just football 101 stuff but DC P was not using him the way he could have, it wasn't until Wk 17 that he sent blitzers underneath Wake's passrushing arc..that is how N Jones got to Big Ben the second time.

Nolan should be skilled enough to take the known and use it to maximum effect.

A name that has been sticking in my head..Jermaine Cunningham from U of F, he sounds like that midpriced OLB we are looking for..what say you?

And I've heard C Dunlap compared to..Calais Campbell and Jamaal Anderson..ouch..

12. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007

I spoke to a scout who said last night that NO prospect was climbing faster than Jared Odrick.

13. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Cunningham gets washed out far too much in the run game for my liking.