1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BP wants to get Jake Long signed before the draft..?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BuckeyeKing, Apr 15, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Ive been hearing BP gave JL a deadline to sign and if he doesn't they move to prospect number 2.

How much of that is true?

2. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Hmm its coming from Peter King not buying it.

3. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Not surprising to me, hope he signs.

4. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    The biggest thing is to avoid a holdout, as there is no clear cut #1 and whoever agrees will fill a hole and lets Ireland adjust his draftboard for the other picks.

5. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Why not? King is a pompous, self-important jerk but his sources are among the best in the business. I'm buying it. Makes sense, too. When it comes to a situation like this, you don't really have to play the players, you have to play the agents. Jake Long might ultimately not lose a whole lot of money by going 2nd or 3rd insteadt of 1st but his agent will lose the opportunity to use the prestige of having his guy signed #1 overall in his recruiting next year. I don't think we'll necessarily see a guy signed on or even before draft day, but I do think that Parcells wants a general agreement to be in place by then and he wants to be sure that he's not paying more than 30 million in guarantees. I'm beginning to suspect we take whoever agrees to these terms. If that's your course of action, playing hardball with the agents makes a whole lot of sense. Their leverage comes from knowing that you don't have an alternative to signing their player. Take away that leverage and even Tom "Holdout" Condon will have to think twice before getting fancy with you.

6. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...aft/index.html
    The plot thickens as the draft rapidly approaches

Item three: Miami is negotiating with one player right now -- Michigan tackle Jake Long. There is a deadline, yes; I don't know what it is. But if Long doesn't agree to a deal -- think of something less than the six-year, $62-million deal ($31 million guaranteed) signed by JaMarcus Russell last year -- Parcells will move to his next guy. My educated guess -- which an NFL front-office acquaintance of Parcells seems sure of -- is that the next candidate will be Gholston, the Ohio State defensive end.

7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm shocked

So their draft board goes
    Jake Long
    Vernon Gholston
    Chris Long
    ?!?!

8. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think their draft board is different, but I don't think that there is such a significant difference between where they have the players at the top rated that they're not willing to negotiate with anyone who might give them the lowest price.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Not a fan of the deadline. I know you want no holdouts or anything but you need to take the best player imo regardless of the contract.

10. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Thoughts on why we might take Gholston Over Jake Long

Deadline for signing a contract = Dramaticly Less Chance of Holdouts. If the BPA is going to hold out for a ton of $$$ that they probably aren't worth (not a great draft class) then it's not worth it IMO. If Jake wants a ton of money and won't move then thats fine. I'll take Chris or Big Vern any day.

If this speculation about Jake Long not wanting to be here for the money or whatever reason is true, I would put my money on signing Gholston for 3 reasons:

1. He's a workout machine. BP loves hanging out and pushing players in the gym, since Big Vern lives there, I could see that being an excellent marriage.

2. He's been projected considerably lower then Chris Long and he doesn't have as much hype IMO. Therefore, he would probably be going a lot lower and getting a lot less money if we don't take him. It would make sense for him to quickly except an offer from us because it will most likely be much more lucrative then what he would be getting for going 5-8 etc. I also don't think anyone would mind being the #1 pick overall.

3. We can still pick from a lot of other OL men in the 2nd round.

All and all I'm really warming up to the idea of taking Gholston if we can get him or a good price. Obviously, BP and the gang has to be sold on him and not just taking him bc he's the cheapest. Vern has a huge bust or bang factor attached to him. But man, it would be one hell of a ride if he lands here.

alen1 likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nice write up bro. Good points made. I wouldn't be disapointed if we took Gholston. I actually had started a "VERNON GHOLSTON AT #1" bandwagon when we had the site unfortunately crash. I later fell in love with Chris Long's game and yeah.

I also wouldn't be surprised because Bill drafted McGinnest, Carl Banks, Farrior, Spencer, Carpenter and Demarcus Ware according to http://sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/6329520. They are all LB's.

He seems to love linebackers and drafting Gholston should not be a surprise.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
    slickj101 likes this.
  12. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Thanks, yea I meant to make that into a thread (I did now). BP loves his big LBs and Gholston could be a baaaad man in the NFL.

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True but what scares me is he could be a HUGE flop at the same time. Hes one of those boom or bust imo.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008