1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxing Legend Joe Frazier Dead

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_Dark_Knight, Nov 8, 2011.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    One of the all time greats. A true icon in boxing is lost.

Rest in Peace Smokin' Joe. :up:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  2. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    there was a documentary about him...cant remember the name, might have been on HBO. really good

man, I came away from watching that thinking Ali was a total douche. the stuff he said about and the way he acted towards frazier was just plain awful. frazier had his bad stuff too

unluckyluciano likes this.
  3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    RIP Champ....

4. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    My favorite fighter. Very underrated. And if you want to see a pretty good human perspective on the frazier/ali thing, watch facing ali. It shows what a dick ali was, but that ali regreted it as well later on.

5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I don't know if it was the same documentary that you guys may have seen, but during that time in American history, Ali was seen as the rebelious one and Frazier the conformist. If you were anit government, anti vietnam anti establishment, then you were usually a fan of Ali. If you were the opposite of that, you were a fan of Frazier.

Now looking back at it now (this ear that is), Ali was actually pretty smart with the things he said....the slurs, the insults and what not as that only help promote fan attendance to the fights between Frazier and Ali. Frazier though was a class act, not letting being called an "Uncle Tom" or any other derogatory remark get to him and react to it...and Ali did toss some brutal insults Fraizer's way. I was always more of a Foreman fan myself, but always admired Fraizer's tenacity and never quit attitude

For me, the 70's was the greatest era in the heavyweight division. There never has been, and in my estimation never will be another group of esteemed fighters in that weight division....Ali, Fraizer, Foreman, Norton Jr, Shavers, Holmes. The 70's was to heavyweight boxing what the quarterback class of 1983 was to football...and sadly, we've lost one of the all time greats.