1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Board/Tabletop/Card Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Stitches, May 1, 2016.

1. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Well this is the gaming forum, so it seems the most appropriate place to post this.

About a year and a half ago, I made some new friends (through my wife & her co-workers/friends) and so we get together every once in a while (once a month or so?) and play board/tabletop/card games.

I previously had played Magic kind of regularly at the local comic shop when I lived in Louisiana, but I found myself playing less frequently after moving (no one to play with really, and the local shops closest to me only do it once a month, so if I miss the day I need to wait a whole month), so this has filled an itch for me.

Anyway, fast forward to just before Christmas and I bought a couple games, and then my wife bought me some for Christmas too.

So this is what I have right now (only listing base games):

1. Dead of Winter
    2. Ticket to Ride
    3. Dominion
    4. Zombicide
    5. Carcassonne
    6. Magic: the Gathering - Arena of the Planeswalkers
    7. Pandemic Legacy

I think we've played at least one new game (that I have yet to play at least) pretty much every time now including: Exploding Kittens, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Smash Up, Munchkin, Dixit (and others).

But I have also managed to get some co-workers to stick around after work like every two/three Fridays and play a game (we only do half days on Friday).

I would say this is my new kick, as I have cut back some on my videogaming and replaced it with this.

But I didn't know how many other people here played board games and such. If you don't maybe you should consider giving it a shot, and there's plenty of games that would fit a family game night while being quite a departure from games you might have played when younger: Scrabble, Monopoly, Life, Jenga, etc (not that there is anything inherently wrong with these).

I know there is a Boardgame Simulator on Steam where you can play most games thanks to the modding community.

Dol-Fan Dupree and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've always been a fan of board games, since I was a little kid. I've mostly stuck to the common and traditional ones, but partly because that's just what other people have played. But I was always excited to play new ones if someone had one. Axis and Allies was one of those that was new to me in HS and I really liked. My wife and I would have some of her friends over to our house for game nights when we were first living together, but all of those moved away. Unfortunately, I have't really had anyone to play with in years.

I played magic for a few years when I think it was brand new, from my Junior year in HS in 93/94, through my second year of college. I was pretty heavily into it, and even started playing a few other games that were similar. However, I transferred schools at that point, and the guys I made friends with at the new place were into MUDs using the schools computer lab (think text based ancestors of games like Warcraft, if you weren't familiar), and I got into that instead and haven't played Magic since. I hadn't even thought about it for years until a couple of my 14 year old nephews started playing recently. It seems the game has evolved and changed a bit since the mid 90s.

Stitches likes this.
  3. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Ahhh. I thought you meant board games such as France'40, Squad Leader, WSIM, or the Mother Game of all time, the original War in the Pacific board game (It has 7 map panels about 26 x 34" meant to depict the Earth from West India eastward to the Rocky Mountains - approximately!.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, War in the Pacific would be a board game like I'm talking about. I haven't played it, but it does look like they released a new edition ~10 years ago.

I'm guessing your experience with this games was around the late 70's when they first came out, but I'm sure there are people who still play them today. Military simulation games usually have quite a following (not just board games, but video games too) and people tend to stick with them for a long time. I'm sure there's some newer military board games out there though.

This particular game (Twighlight Struggle) falls in the "war" category, but it is also considered the 2nd best game (or at least 2nd highest rated) overall on BoardGameGeek.
    https://www.amazon.com/GMT-Games-05...6EE4&linkCode=xm2&tag=browse-boardgamegeek-20

5. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Nothing better than getting drunk and playing a game of Risk with 5-6 people.

6. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, I cannot contimplate playing anything more complex than a simple card game while drinking. I take things very seriously.

7. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    https://www.amazon.com/NFL-Game-Day-Board/dp/B00C9KRYY4

My brother in law got me this for my birthday, and I just played it for the first time. Its actually a lot of fun, and a fair representation of the game of football. You don't have to have much NFL knowledge to play, and its even a good teaching tool for kids. My five year old daughter had a great time. In some ways, its like a board game version of Techmo Bowl, which is fun. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes both board games and football. There's both strategy and luck involved, though I think a good addition to the game would be a few cards that are able to "break" an opponent's counter.

8. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    Myself & a couple friends started a game night a few years back when our band broke up, and we've amassed quite a few board games (in addition to the ones mentioned in the OP).

- Small World
    - Power Grid
    - Splendor
    - Lords of Waterdeep
    - Elder Sign
    - Merchants & Marauders
    - 7 Wonders
    - Puerto Rico
    - Agrícola
    - Istanbul
    - Tokkaido
    - "King of..."series

As well as a number of card games:

- Star Realms
    - Munchkin
    - Fluxx
    - Love Letter
    - Race for the Galaxy
    - Coup

All are fine games and can be played in as little as 10 minutes up to an entire afternoon (or longer) for M&M.

Feel free to ask me about any of these if anyone wants to know more. [emoji846][emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlucky 13 likes this.